Old 12-15-2007, 11:44 PM   #1
Cristy
Instepping Out

Selvage question
I am starting a pattern I purchased from KP and the beginning reads like this:

Pattern Notes:
Th ese gloves are knit fl at in a ribbed pattern and seamed up the side. An extra stitch
(called a selvage stitch) is added to each side of the piece. If seamed properly using the
Mattress Stitch, these selvage stitches will be invisible after the gloves are completed.
To ensure that the bottom and top edges are not too tight, it is important to cast on
and cast off loosely. One way to accomplish this is by using a needle one or two sizes
larger to work the cast on and cast off rows.

Directions (make two):

Cuff :
Loosely CO 47 sts (please see the pattern notes, above).
Cuff Row 1 (RS): k1, p1, *k3, p2; rep from *to end of row, ending with p1, k1
Cuff Row 2 (WS): p1, k1, *p3, k2; rep from * to end of row, ending with k1, p1

Okay, I know what a selvage is but what I don't understand is if I am to knit or slip the selvage stitch? I have CO twice and attempted to knit the first row--both times I've ended up with too many or not enough stitches to stay in pattern. I have followed the pattern as written and I've slipped the first stitch...the problem is--the pattern never equals 47 stitches. Do I cast on additional stitches to make the selvage stitch at each end? I'm so confused--even if I CO two additional stitches (to use as the selvage stitch on each end), I still don't come up with the correct number of stitches. The repeat is a 5 stitch pattern and the pattern calls for 4 additional stitches (K1, P1 at the beginning and P1, K1 at the end). This can never equal 47. If I add two stitches I'll technically have 49--again, this pattern can't be spread evenly across 49 stitches...What am I missing here? I feel so dumb!

Cristy is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-15-2007, 11:47 PM   #2
Cristy
Instepping Out

nevermind...
just went to KP's site and thought to look in the pattern errata...the very first one is this:

Cuff Row 1 (RS): k1, p1, *k3, p2; rep from * to end of row; ending with k3, p1, k1.
Cuff Row 2 (WS): p1, k1, *p3, k2; rep from * to end of row; ending with p3, k1, p1.

Glad to know I wasn't loosing my mind. I'm not exactly an experienced knitter and math isn't my strong point but my head was hurting I'd been reworking these numbers for so long! LOL!

Cristy is offline   Reply With Quote