Old 12-17-2007, 09:39 AM   #1
nonny2t
Instepping Out

A problem about making gifts
I have a situation that maybe some of you have had in your knitting experiences. I guess I am a bit thin skinned about it, but truth be told it hurts.

I have made several things for a certain person for birthday or Christmas or whatever. The articles are not crummy, they look well made, not like some I Love Lucy episode or something. They aren't really fancy either. They are mostly sweaters. In fact, one of the items was actually a request and I worked long and hard on it having to have help from knitting friends with a particularly difficult direction. Each time I made something for this person, she shows me something her expert knitter friend made for her or shows me this woman's blog so I can see what beautiful things she has made. I know I have not ventured into the lovely lace patterns so many of you have accomplished or even tried my hand at cables and difficult patterns as such, but I know many of you here have seen the things I have made for others and I don't believe they are inferior. I would almost make bets she takes what I make to the friend's so she can pick it apart so to speak. My gut tells me she does.

I have decided not to make this person anything else because to tell the truth always being shown what she thinks I obviously can't do compared to her friend plain hurts my feelings.

Do you think I am being unfair by deciding not to do more for this person? Any of you come across a situation like this at all?
nonny2t is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-17-2007, 10:03 AM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
I wouldn't make her anything else. Teach her to knit. Then she can see what actually goes into a knitted piece--the time, angst and money.

I have a feeling that she has no clue.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 10:14 AM   #3
knitgal
Working the Gusset

No, I think you did the right thing. Either teach her to knit like Ingrid said, or tell her to ask her "expert" knitter friend to make whatever she wants you to make. Your hard work should not be put down by this non-knitter- that's just rude. Knit for people that appreciate it, usually other knitters appreciate your hard work best.

OTN: Corona, Miter square blanket, Charity blankets
FO: Forest Canopy Shawl, Easy Baby Bootees, Kitty Pi, Ms. Marigold, Twinkle Toes, Josh's socks, Hedera socks, Spring Beret, Ashley's Birthday socks, Socks for the DBF's mom, grey socks for the DBF, my first socks, reversible cable scarf, ribbed hat for the BF, Manos Del Uruguay afghan, and a whole bunch of dishcloths!

knitgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 10:16 AM   #4
iza
Turning the Heel

I find her attitude insensitive and rude. You have the generosity of using your hobby to make gifts for friends and family, if she can't see how much heart you put into this, she doesn't deserve it.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:37 AM   #5
msoebel
Turning the Heel

This has nothing to do with being a non-knitter. It has everything to do with being an ungracious and unthankful gift receiver. I would not only not knit for her any longer, I would choose not to give her "real" gifts any longer either. She would be receiving only gift cards from me from now on (once I was no longer mad at her!).

My four yo dd receives gifts far more graciously than that!

Be a light unto the world...not a bug zapper.
msoebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 11:31 AM   #6
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
I'm so sorry you're having to deal with such snobbery. Friends should not be insensitive (on purpose) like that.

Have you ever tried telling her that it hurts your feelings when she compares your knitted items to her other friend's? She should know how it makes you feel. Knitting for others is not a competition. It's an act of love.

I agree that you should not knit items for her any more. Get her something different or not at all. Maybe just a card. Watch for opportunities to do other things for her...if she's sick, take a meal or run to the grocery store. You can still be nice, but in different ways.

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 12:01 PM   #7
nonny2t
Instepping Out

Misty, my dh keeps telling me give her gift cards, which she has told me she thinks is an insensitive gift! lol

I imagine future gifts from me will be totally impersonal from now on. As for those asking if I have talked to her about it, let's just say she is a person who not only doesn't take criticism well, but comes back at you with venom so I try to minimize the hurt. Thanks for your kind thoughts that I wasn't being overly sensitive!
nonny2t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 12:24 PM   #8
knitncook
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Ingrid View Post
I wouldn't make her anything else. Teach her to knit. Then she can see what actually goes into a knitted piece--the time, angst and money.

I have a feeling that she has no clue.
There's your answer! It is much nicer than the one I would have given you.

knitncook there, too!

OTN: Laughing Carrots; Jaywaler
FO: Potamus socks; Palindrome
knitncook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 12:29 PM   #9
Sanibelle
Turning the Heel

Gosh Nonny - I am so sorry. I love what AuburnChick said about knitting not being a competition but an act of love. I only knit for people that are on my "knitworthy list". Hard to get on my list and very easy to get bumped!!! But if I spend my time putting love in every stitch I want it to be appreciated - if not they get a bottle of wine or a gift card!

Please do not let an ungrateful person hurt your feelings... she is not worthy of you.

Sanibelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 01:36 PM   #10
bethany
Turning the Heel

nope, you are not being thin-skinned! Everyone should be gracious with any gift. Makes me think of the cartoon movie "Mickey's Twice Upon A Christmas" when Donald Duck is being so rude and for Christmas Santa brings him the "Great Big Book of Manners!" Knit something beautiful for yourself, tell her you were going to give it to her, but you loved it too much and you thought you deserved it!

OTN: Old Shale Lace Triangle
OTH: blanket
FO: 3 pairs Pocketbook slippers, Kickline socks, baby cloths, 007 monkey, market bag, Ocean socks, chemo cap, 12 Stitch-It! blankets, 9 Charity Oddball baby blankets

: Bethanyg

bethany is offline   Reply With Quote