Old 12-19-2007, 01:07 AM   #1
yeah_im_crazy
1st Leg of the Journey

Britney Spears's little sister is PREGNANT??!?
Ummm.........wow.

Get this.....she met the baby's father in church. He's 19 and she is 16, isnt that like stattitory (sorry spelling) rape? Cant he go to jail?

Once again, wow.

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=289216
ladaija (12-23-2007)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-19-2007, 07:08 AM   #2
nonny2t
Instepping Out

I find it disgusting and yes technically it is statutory rape and he can go to jail.

I find it repulsive kids can't seem to keep their pants on until they marry, but geez if they have to there is birth control for heaven's sake.
nonny2t is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nonny2t For This Useful Post:
ladaija (12-23-2007)
Old 12-19-2007, 09:37 AM   #3
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
In the state of Florida, he could be arrested and tagged as a sex offender. When I worked at our local law enforcement agency, one of my co-workers was responsible for registering sex offenders, and she sent the officers out if she lost contact with them.

I remember several cases where the sex was consensual. However, the guy was the "adult" capable of making that decision.

I find it sad for the family...overall. As the mom of a teenage girl, it frightens me. Dd does not understand why I won't let her go to her guy "friend's" house. Ummm...perhaps the possibility of no supervision? Hello??

But, you can't blame the parents...solely.

So sad. At least she's not going to abort the baby. Give the girl points for that.

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to auburnchick For This Useful Post:
ladaija (12-23-2007)
Old 12-19-2007, 09:59 AM   #4
Silver
Instepping Out

eh.. not surprised.

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Silver For This Useful Post:
ladaija (12-23-2007)
Old 12-19-2007, 10:15 AM   #5
cdjack
Turning the Heel

She's got to do a better job than her sister. I don't think that she can do much worse. I mean, if she doesn't shave her head and she keeps her underwear on... It MIGHT turn out ok...

Courtney
cdjack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cdjack For This Useful Post:
ladaija (12-23-2007)
Old 12-19-2007, 10:23 AM   #6
Jax3303
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Jax3303
I'm in the 'not surprised' camp.

however, I must say, birth control dosen't always work. We don't know the specifics. Both of them could have been using protection for all we know. **** happens and birth control fails. Hell, 2 of my 3 kids were concieved while I was on the pill and dh was wearing a condom.

and for the age thing, I don't think it should be criminal anywhere for a 19 yr old boy and a 16 year old girl to have consensual sex. Maybe I'm biased because that's the same age difference between DH and I, but guys do not mature as quickly as girls do so IMHO a 19 yr old boy and a 16 yr old girl are at the same maturity level. I DO, however, have HUGE issues with the fact that jamie lynn spears and her boyfriend have been LIVING together for a year. That's just wrong, and because of that, her parents ARE solely responsible for this teenage pregnancy. They let her move in with this guy when she was 15!

My Blog

Jax3303 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jax3303 For This Useful Post:
ladaija (12-23-2007)
Old 12-19-2007, 10:55 AM   #7
knitgal
Working the Gusset

It's pretty sad that this family has had so many issues. I'm pretty sure everyone was expecting Jamie Lynn to follow in Britney's footsteps and now she is. It must be hard to have a sister who is such a public spectacle. I agree that it's a little strange that they were living together, but there are many circumstances that can explain this. When I was 16 my parents moved provinces and it was my last year of high school so I lived with my boyfriend and his parents. We were barely allowed in the same room, and never in each other's bedrooms.
I feel bad for Jamie Lynn. She needs to get out of the spotlight, get an education, raise her child and try to have a "normal" life. Stardom has been bad for this family.

OTN: Corona, Miter square blanket, Charity blankets
FO: Forest Canopy Shawl, Easy Baby Bootees, Kitty Pi, Ms. Marigold, Twinkle Toes, Josh's socks, Hedera socks, Spring Beret, Ashley's Birthday socks, Socks for the DBF's mom, grey socks for the DBF, my first socks, reversible cable scarf, ribbed hat for the BF, Manos Del Uruguay afghan, and a whole bunch of dishcloths!

knitgal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitgal For This Useful Post:
ladaija (12-23-2007)
Old 12-19-2007, 11:04 AM   #8
msoebel
Turning the Heel

Obviously, it's disturbing that a 16 year old is going to have a baby. But she is at least handling it maturely, unlike the way her big sis is handling everything.

"I definitely don't think it's something you should do; it's better to wait," she says. "But I can't be judgmental because it's a position I put myself in."

She is taking responsibility for her actions (one of her sister's biggest problems), and she KNOWS WHO THE FATHER IS. She's already way ahead of many other young women who end up in the same situation. Good for her. It's not the best situation, but it could be so, so much worse.

In most states, her 19 year old boyfriend will only be charged with statutory rape IF her parents file charges. I doubt that will be happening.

Be a light unto the world...not a bug zapper.
msoebel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to msoebel For This Useful Post:
ladaija (12-23-2007)
Old 12-19-2007, 12:58 PM   #9
debinoz
Turning the Heel

The news here played it big on the fact that the father was "her long time boyfriend." So! She's still only 16. Although I guess I have no room to talk... I was married when I was 16. (Ten days before my 17th and no I didn't "have" to.) It's one of those stories that if you have a teen-age daughter, you want to watch them more closely. DD thinks I'm weird because I keep a calandar with dates of her and her sisters cycles.... I call myself concerned not weird. How do I know what they're doing when they're not home.
ladaija (12-23-2007)
Old 12-19-2007, 01:28 PM   #10
wewantmore
Knitting the Flap

What's even scarier is that Lynn Spears (aka their Mom) is writing a PARENTING BOOK being published by a Christian book company.

I personally don't think she is one to be giving PARENTING advice.

Michelle

wewantmore is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wewantmore For This Useful Post:
knitwit88 (12-21-2007), ladaija (12-23-2007), redheadrachel (12-23-2007), Shandeh (12-22-2007)