Old 12-19-2007, 11:45 AM   #1
CanadianKnitter
Casting On

Chairty Knitting & Youth Jester Hat Questions
Hello Everyone!

I have a lot of bits & pieces of wool, so I decided to knit hats for charity. Unfortunately I cannot find and organization in "Ontario, Canada" that would accept them. Being new at donating hand knit projects I was not aware that there were a lot of rules to follow, eg. type of wool, size of hats, specific areas accepting donated knitted hats, etc. I have already made quite a few different styles of hats that would keep someone warm this winter.

1. Would someone please help me with the "rules" in donating knitted / crocheted hats for children and adults?

2. Also would you please help me find a youth's jester hat (3 points)pattern?

Any suggestions to a good organization would be appreciated. Thank you for your help.
CanadianKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-19-2007, 12:18 PM   #2
GinnyG
Instepping Out

Have you tried getting intouch with your local churches to see if they have needs? I know my church has an "ugly quilt" project and they stick a hat and pair of mittens in each blanket. They don't have "requirements" and are happy to take what ever you donate.
GinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 12:27 PM   #3
Mystery_Gyrl
Turning the Heel

Charity Knitting & Youth Jester Hat Questions
Hi, CK:
Different charities have different rules and or requirements for their organizations. Asking a specific group or place you want to donate what they require is really the best route; however, don't get discourage there is usually a group out there who would gladly accept what you are able to donate. You could also try asking at your LYS (local yarn store) or a local shelter (homeless or women's). A general rule I normally follow though is that for very cold climates for children and adults I use wool either worsted weight or bulky. For preemie hats, blankets, etc. I use cotton or man-made fibers, and for in-between type chartible knitting depending on the item I use a wool-man-made fiber blend or a soft man-made fiber.

I am not able to locate a youth jester hat pattern; though, you might want to look at this pattern on woolly wormhead and possibly adjust the pattern for smaller heads. Here is the web site: http://woollywormhead.blogspot.com/2...ester-hat.html

Here are also two links for charities and charity links for places in Canada that accept donations:

http://www.canknit.com/charity.html

and

http://www.warmingfamilies.org/caav.aspx

Finally, you might want to post this question in the "Charity Knitting" section of this web site you will probably receive a lot more responses to your question.
Good luck and happy charitable knitting,
Katrina

PS. I also forgot to post this article form Knitty: http://www.knitty.com/issuefall03/FEATcharity.html
you might want to also try the yahoo group caring4canadians. Or do a google search for charity knitting canada.

Miss Marple: It helps me to concentrate, milord.

Judge: It does not help me, madame.

Miss Marple: Oh. Very well. (puts away knitting)

Judge: Thank you, Madame.

The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne.
~ Geoffrey Chaucer - The Parliament of Fowls Line 1.
Mystery_Gyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 11:23 PM   #4
CanadianKnitter
Casting On

Thanks all!
Thanks to everyone for all the information!
CanadianKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote