Old 12-22-2007, 01:07 AM   #1
StefannyJo
Ribbing the Cuff

Arthritis
I just got diagnosed with arthritis in my shoulder. I don't know what kind, I was talking to the dr on the phone and was kind of shocked (I am 29 and not athletic). It didn't dawn on me there are different kinds. I have a spur somewhere too. They have recommended PT. I am going to see my chiropractor next week and talk to him.

OK, here is my question. I attempted to knit tonight and it was OK. (size 50 with 4 threads) Do you find knitting aggravates or relieves arthritis? Am I going to have to give this up?

True religion is real living; living with all one's soul, with all one's goodness and righteousness. Albert Einstein

OTN: Baby blanket, baby mittens, discloth, washcloth
StefannyJo is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-22-2007, 01:20 AM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
As long as you don't feel any pain or stiffness during or later, you could probably keep it up. Stop if it hurts, and watch your posture, try to stay relaxed.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
StefannyJo (12-22-2007)
Old 12-22-2007, 01:23 AM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,751 Times in 7,121 Posts
You shouldn't have to give it up. If something hurts take a break and you may have to alter the way you knit, use a pillow or whatever. Needle size may affect it, too. I have arthritis in my neck and I'm fine.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
StefannyJo (12-22-2007)
Old 12-22-2007, 09:15 AM   #4
vaknitter
Working the Gusset

I would take the MD's advice and do some PT. Doesn't have to be long term, just a few visits to learn a some exercises you can do at home to keep your shoulder mobile and strong.
DO NOT give up knitting. Arthritis will actually get worse the less you use the joint and you don't want to end up with a frozen shoulder. My elderly neighbor finds that knitting and crocheting actually keeps the arthritis in her hands from bothering her.
Also talk to your MD about what meds you can take for pain control - not everyday, but for the bad days when it's really sore and you've got things to get done.
vaknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 10:04 AM   #5
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
I find that knitting helps the arthritis in my hands, but does tend to irritate the arthritis in my shoulders.

I just take very frequent breaks. It makes me a slower knitter, but that's ok, I'm not in a race anyway.

I've found that taking breaks, combined with taking a good dose of Ibuprofin before starting helps to keep the discomfort to a minimum.

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 10:21 AM   #6
StefannyJo
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by vaknitter View Post
I would take the MD's advice and do some PT. Doesn't have to be long term, just a few visits to learn a some exercises you can do at home to keep your shoulder mobile and strong.
DO NOT give up knitting. Arthritis will actually get worse the less you use the joint and you don't want to end up with a frozen shoulder. My elderly neighbor finds that knitting and crocheting actually keeps the arthritis in her hands from bothering her.
Also talk to your MD about what meds you can take for pain control - not everyday, but for the bad days when it's really sore and you've got things to get done.
Thank you, this is what I was wondering. I am on meds everyday right now, I guess I am having a flare up. So much new information to learn.

LOL! Thanks for the ELDERLY neighbor part! I am giving you a hard time. My family thinks it is funny that I am almost in tears about this.

True religion is real living; living with all one's soul, with all one's goodness and righteousness. Albert Einstein

Old 12-22-2007, 10:25 AM   #7
StefannyJo
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by Knitting_Guy View Post
I find that knitting helps the arthritis in my hands, but does tend to irritate the arthritis in my shoulders.

I just take very frequent breaks. It makes me a slower knitter, but that's ok, I'm not in a race anyway.

I've found that taking breaks, combined with taking a good dose of Ibuprofin before starting helps to keep the discomfort to a minimum.
Thanks! That sounds like some good advice. I will try to remember it!
I am slow to begin with, this may not be good!

Old 12-22-2007, 10:49 AM   #8
knitncook
Working the Gusset

I've had arthritis since I as a teen. Mostly in my back and hips. I developed arthritis in my hands in college. I find that I have to knit in spurts and starts and I have to watch the position that my arms are in. I can't knit in bed, but can knit fine in a chair. I have to have several different projects going at the same time with different sized needles. Some people with arthritis in their hands complain that metal needles hurt their hands, but I haven't noticed a difference as they do tend to warm up after a short while using them. I find using my joints helps relieve tension, so I walk every day and have yet to quit any of my arts that involve use of my hands (I also paint and do calligraphy besides all my fiber projects.)

knitncook there, too!

OTN: Laughing Carrots; Jaywaler
FO: Potamus socks; Palindrome
knitncook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 11:40 AM   #9
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
Originally Posted by knitncook View Post
I've had arthritis since I as a teen. Mostly in my back and hips. I developed arthritis in my hands in college. I find that I have to knit in spurts and starts and I have to watch the position that my arms are in. I can't knit in bed, but can knit fine in a chair. I have to have several different projects going at the same time with different sized needles. Some people with arthritis in their hands complain that metal needles hurt their hands, but I haven't noticed a difference as they do tend to warm up after a short while using them. I find using my joints helps relieve tension, so I walk every day and have yet to quit any of my arts that involve use of my hands (I also paint and do calligraphy besides all my fiber projects.)

Maybe if you learn to knit with your feet it might help the hips too. I have it in my right hip and sitting for too long is a definite no-no.

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 01:08 PM   #10
knitncook
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Knitting_Guy View Post
Maybe if you learn to knit with your feet it might help the hips too.
Have you been looking at my prehensile toes?

knitncook there, too!

OTN: Laughing Carrots; Jaywaler
FO: Potamus socks; Palindrome
knitncook is offline   Reply With Quote