Old 12-26-2007, 04:16 PM   #1
redheadrachel
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to redheadrachel
Are shawls useful?/What should I knit?
Hey everyone. I'm done with Christmas knitting and want to make a few projects for myself. Right now, my only WIP is my first Bayerische sock... and these socks require much time and concentration. I want get at least one more project OTN, if not two. But the problem is, I'm not sure what to knit!
I already have like three hats and one warm headbandy thing. And four scarves or so. And a couple pairs of gloves/mittens. So that's plenty.
And usually, I just knit socks. But I have these complicated socks I'm working on, and I've just finished a ton, and I'm going to be making a ton for other people over these next few months. I'm in the mood for something new and exciting and different.

I'm thinking maybe a lacy shawl? The only lace I've ever done was in Monkey socks, which I loved. And I like the look of lace shawls. But would I get very much use out of it? If I take a lot of time and effort to make it, I'll definitely make an effort to wear it... but I've never had a shawl and don't really know the occasion to use one. Maybe a stole or something? But the same issue applies with that.

So what do you guys think? And how do you deal with project indecision?

ETA: Here's one I especially like
I also love this ... Eunny's pattern are so awesome but usually complicated and take me quite some time to knit... and it's with laceweight. I'd make it if I knew I could use it... :/

"An excellent woman, who can find? She is far more precious than jewels . . . She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." - Proverbs 31:10;13
I'm a knitter for Jesus!
redheadrachel is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-26-2007, 04:18 PM   #2
Lisa R.
Turning the Heel

I'm looking forward to seeing your answers. The more I hear about people making shawls wraps, and the more beautiful pictgures I see, the more I think I want one...but I'm still not quite sure where or with what I would wear one!

I'm Knittermom9 on Ravelry
Lisa R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 04:21 PM   #3
Plantgoddess+
Working the Gusset

I feel the same I love some of the patterns I've seen and it looks like a fun project, but I don't know where I would wear one. I even have difficulty finding somewhere to wear a worsted weight or heavier sweater. I get the most use out of sock or fingering weight knitted items.
Old 12-26-2007, 04:24 PM   #4
redheadrachel
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to redheadrachel
Well I would like to do one in fingering weight yarn - though I will probably feel terrible using beautiful sock yarn for a non-sock project!
Really, though, I'm not opposed to anything from a fingering weight to a worsted weight project. I just want something I can fall in love with. Is that too much to ask? I mean, if I'm going to take the time to knit it, and it's for myself... I need to LOVE it! :D

"An excellent woman, who can find? She is far more precious than jewels . . . She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." - Proverbs 31:10;13
I'm a knitter for Jesus!
redheadrachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 04:36 PM   #5
kristinw
Turning the Heel

Well Jeanie from the new Knitty is fabulous! I never really thought I'd wear a shawl but I love the look of this one! And it is made with Sock yarn. I think it is just so beautiful!!

My knitting blog: The Knit of It

I'm kristin on
kristinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 04:50 PM   #6
vaknitter
Working the Gusset

I personally prefer shrugs as I cannot hold onto a shawl and do what needs to be done whether I am out or in the house. That said I do have a shawl I throw around my shoulders if I am just reading in bed. I make lots of prayer shawls to give away...
What about a felting project - bags, potholders, coasters, placemats, felted bowls and baskets are cool and different...I always try to keep a few different sizes on hand for birthday gifts.
Right now I am branching out and starting to work on more socks - got some really nice sock yarn with the thread to carry along for the toes and heel for Christmas
vaknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vaknitter For This Useful Post:
redheadrachel (12-26-2007)
Old 12-26-2007, 05:21 PM   #7
cdjack
Turning the Heel

I like shrugs as well. You don't have to worry about them falling off.
I just checked out the book "Knits Three Ways" at the library. There is a great lacy shrug pattern in it. It's called Ursula. It's a large rectangle that you sew together to make sleeves. Then, you pick up stitches around the opening and do 3 1/2 inches of ribbing.

Courtney
cdjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 05:40 PM   #8
debb
Knitting the Flap

I've not yet finished the two shawl/wraps I've started (one wasn't as lacy as I'd hoped and the yarn on the other is difficult to work with)

that said, I love wraps and use non-knitted ones all the time, especially when travelling. they are perfect on flights and can work as a scarf if you don't want the coverage. My personal preference is the rectangular wrap but the occasional triangular shawl has caught my eye, I just don't feel it's as versatile for me.
debb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 06:13 PM   #9
mdog182
Turning the Heel

i loooooove the lacework on a lot of the shawls that i see and i wonder about the same things....would i wear a shawl? if so, where would i wear it? if anything, you could put it out as decoration? like lay it over a chair or something?

OTN: snowflake lace socks, green (or in my case, blue) gable
mdog182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 07:21 PM   #10
SabrinaJL
Turning the Heel

I just asked this very question on Ravelry and got a lot of replies about it. Here's the thread if you're interested... http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/patterns/32536/1-25

My blog.

SabrinaJL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SabrinaJL For This Useful Post:
redheadrachel (12-26-2007)