Old 12-26-2007, 08:53 PM   #1
shoesthatcut
Casting On

problems knitting and purling on the same row.
i'm a beginning knitter who just completed her first finished object (a garter stitch scarf) and i'm trying to learn some new textures now, like seed stitch. however, anytime i try to knit and purl stitches in the same row, the stitches on the needle end up looking like this:

i only cast on EIGHT stitches. now it looks like there are lots of extra stitches on the needle, and they're all twisted up. any idea what the problem could be?

thanks in advance for your help!

Mary
shoesthatcut is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-26-2007, 09:04 PM   #2
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
When you change from knit to purl are you bringing the yarn to the front, and then back again when you go back to knit stitches?

When doing a knit stitch the working yarn is behind the right needle, when doing a purl stitch the working yarn is in front of the right needle.

You move the yarn front to back, back to front, between the two needles.

It's a very common mistake and is responsible for many mystery stitches appearing. Took me a while to get the hang of that.

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knitting_Guy For This Useful Post:
shoesthatcut (12-27-2007)
Old 12-26-2007, 09:09 PM   #3
cdjack
Turning the Heel

Yeah, it looks like you are making accidental yarnovers: making big holes in between each stitch. Yarnovers can be a very pretty addition to your knitting, but ,from personal experience, I know that they aren't so pretty when they are not supposed to be there.

Maybe Amy has a video on 1x1 ribbing or seed stitch?

Courtney
cdjack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cdjack For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2007, 10:48 AM   #4
miss_molly
1st Leg of the Journey

Yes, the trick is to move the yarn BETWEEN the two needles when moving it to the front for a purl stitch, or to the back for a knit stitch. It seems you might be accidentally taking the yarn over the TOP of the right needle instead of between the two. Those extra yarnovers could be helping to pull the stitches out of whack too... eliminate the yarnovers and the stitches might be less prone to twisting round the needle.

The way its twisted around might also be because when you have just cast on, the first row is a little more fiddly than later rows. The stitches can tend to rotate round the needle. Just examine the look of the row of cast-on stitches before you start to knit. Then after each stich is knit, take another look at the stitches remaining on the left hand needle and make sure that they look how they did when you'd just cast them on, nice and straight and even, and haven't turned round the needle. Once you get past that first couple of rows it becomes easier.

What casting on method are you using? Long tail? If so... I know a lot of people might disagree with me... I find it more fiddly to do the first row after that sort of cast-on than it is to continue on after using the cable cast-on.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/cast-on
If you haven't tried the cable method, give it a try. I'm a big fan of that method, and it might be a good one to try even if only in your early stages of knitting.
miss_molly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to miss_molly For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2007, 01:01 PM   #5
shoesthatcut
Casting On

that's exactly what i was doing, miss_molly. after i finally figured out to bring the yarn BETWEEN the needles, everything was fine. and yes, i've been using long-tail cast on. i'll give the cabling method a shot. thank you to everyone for your replies!

Mary
shoesthatcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 03:08 PM   #6
pauly81
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via Yahoo to pauly81
Have you watched the videos on knitting help they are very helpfull. I learned to knit here.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:54 PM   #7
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
Molly may prefer the cable cast on, but the long tail cast on is about the most common one in use, and very good for most applications. So I suggest, try the cable cast on, it's a good one to know, but don't give up on the long tail cast on. I don't think it is the real problem for you.
MerigoldinWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 03:57 PM   #8
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
It's good to know several types of cast ons, but that isn't your problem here; it's bringing the yarn over your needle instead of between your tips. And now that you've figured that out, you should be fine.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote