Old 12-28-2007, 11:50 AM   #1
CTbarb
Ribbing the Cuff

What kind of yarn would you suggest?
I'm fairly new to knitting, and can do the basic knit and purl stitches. I found a sweater pattern that looks really easy, but I can't figure out what kind of yarn to buy for it. I generally buy my yarn from Lion Brand. What kind of yarn would you suggest I use for this sweater, and can it be purchased online somewhere?

Thanks so much for any help or suggestions.

http://www.berroco.com/exclusives/tu...mer_tunic.html
CTbarb is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-28-2007, 12:00 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
If you're wanting a lightweight sweater, LB's CottonEase is nice to use, but that's worsted and may be too loose if you use size 11s. You could do it on 10.5s and make a larger size. The Zen yarn is a ribbon type, so there's Lion Incredible which might work up the same gauge.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 12:04 PM   #3
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,845 Times in 1,909 Posts
The yarn recommended for that sweater is Berroco Zen, which is described on this webpage: http://www.berroco.com/shade_cards/zencolors_sh.html

It looks like a ribbon yarn to me. Do you have a local yarn store where you could look at the yarn? You could either buy that yarn, or you could try to find a similar yarn somewhere else. The design always turns out best if you use the recommended yarn. But, if you can't do that, at least you'll know what the yarn looks like, so you can make a decent match.

You could also try finding a yarn that knits to the same gauge, which is the following, using a size 9 needle:
4.75 sts = 1"
19 sts & 23 rows = 4"

So that means, the yarn knits 19 stitches for every 4 inches.

If you want to find a Lion Brand yarn with that gauge, just look at this page on their website for yarn substitutions.
http://cache.lionbrand.com/cgi-bin/y...?equivalents=1
Look at the description of each yarn, and try to find one that knits 19 stitches for every 4 inches. (Looks to me like that is a medium weight yarn.)

This page shows all of Lion Brand's medium weight yarns:
http://www.lionbrand.com/cgi-bin/yar...ightCategory=4
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shandeh For This Useful Post:
CTbarb (12-28-2007)
Old 12-28-2007, 12:05 PM   #4
CTbarb
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks! I'm really not crazy about the ribbon-type yarn, I'd rather have something softer. I will look into the yarns you suggested.

We posted at the same time Shandeh, thanks so much for the help!
Old 12-28-2007, 12:07 PM   #5
CTbarb
Ribbing the Cuff

Oh, and the closest yarn store to me is a good half hour away, that's why I generally buy yarn online.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:12 PM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

I thought the Zen was a bulkier yarn, but sounds like it's worsted. I think it's also been discontinued, but you didn't necessarily want ribbon anyway. So yes, just about any worsted weight would do.

The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
CTbarb (12-28-2007)
Old 12-28-2007, 05:12 PM   #7
Ellieblue
Knitting the Flap

with that size needle and that guage I would suggest a bulky wht yarn.
Ellieblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 09:40 PM   #8
CTbarb
Ribbing the Cuff

Thank you!

So I'm guessing that most everyone goes to a yarn store to buy their yarn? Other than worsted weight, I still haven't gotten many specifics as far as recommendations/brands. Maybe I didn't word my question properly, I was looking for specific brands. I am a new knitter, but I should have worded it better.

I wish I was closer to a yarn store so I could feel the different yarns for myself. I am basically just guessing as to what is a nice, soft yarn for the sweater pattern.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:38 PM   #9
Lisa R.
Turning the Heel

I just wanted to say that I don't often get to a yarn store, but I have gone a couple of times just to feel the yarn and get an idea of what it's like, so that when I see a certain yarn for a project, I can guess at a good substitution. I have only done small projects where specific yarn isn't crucial, but I do take time to look at gauge and see if what i have is similar to what the pattern calls for.

I've asked around a bit, and it seems that it's sort of a hard thing to get someone to tell you, but more something you have to sort of figure out for yourself.

Some websites have substitution guides. For instance, I bought a bunch of Bernat yarn on sale....their site lets you enter gauge or other details of a yarn, and tells you which of their yarns would work. I think other sites might have something similar.

I'm Knittermom9 on Ravelry
Lisa R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 01:30 AM   #10
suzeeq
Knit On!

No, I've bought very little yarn at a yarn store. Most of it is from craft or fabric stores or walmart. I found some very good yarn at the thrift store last summer, and I've bought some from the internet. You want a heavy worsted or bulky, and I suppose wool or a blend, or cotton? We're not really sure what you've got in mind so it's harder to recommend specifics I guess. Cruise through knitpick's site and see what you like. For softness, you want a merino or maybe alpaca or silk blend.