Old 12-31-2007, 10:51 AM   #11
Spikey
Turning the Heel

Hi Gang,
Shandeh and I were talking about exercise on her blog, and I thought I post the suggestions here as well:
I try to find creative ways to exercise, as it is difficult for me to get to the gym. There are so many things you can do around the house, that I can't believe I still find excuses not to work out.

Anyway, according to the Yarn Harlot, knitting burns 90 calories an hour! Knitting while walking or doing alternating leg extensions while kntting would certainly burn more (and help keep blood from pooling in my legs which is a problem for me),

Vacuuming, mopping, etc are all very aerobic. Anything that gets the body moving and the heart rate up is good for us. Video games can be a great workout if you really get into it! DH and I play Wii tennis and bunch of other Wii sports, which are a surprisingly good workout - and it is so much fun that you don't realize how long you've been doing it.

A workout partner can also be a great motivator. Arranging to meet a friend at the fitness club, or for an exercise walk, will make me do it, but I won't if I have to do it on my own.

The support from this group will be a great motivator for me.

Dark Hippy - Congrats on your engagement! I am so sorry about all of the loss you have suffered over the past year. All the best for a MUCH happier 2008, with treasured memories of those loved ones.
Spikey is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-31-2007, 10:59 AM   #12
Liliyarn
Turning the Heel

Little ways to get tasks done:
Work out as you can. Break it up. Do 10-15 minutes at a time.
Focus on moves that will target the most muscles. Crunches, Squats, lunges, push ups.
Take a lunch walk break.
Wake 20 minutes earlier if possible to get it done first thing.
Plan meals and do as much cooking and preparing ahead of time. I do it over the weekend. Also when I am pressed for a work lunch I go by Publix and get one of their salads.
Keep healthy snacks at work. No vending machines.
I do laundry almost every morning. Start a load then toss in dryer when I get home from work. Next morning take out clean clothes and fold as much as I can in fifteen minutes.
I knit mostly at night or at work lunch break.
Start small. Don't make yourself work out 30 minutes at first, start with 10 minutes then next week go for 20 minutes. Build good habits. Same with diet changes.
I keep a food journal & work out journal. I'm also in a cardio team challenge where we compete to see which group gets the most cardio minutes.
Right now I use knitting & spinning as a reward when I work out and eat healthy. However, I think I may use it for when I want chocolate =-)
Today I'm off to grocery shop and meal plan for the week. Then I come home and measure everything out & put into containers to grab.
Liliyarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 11:03 AM   #13
Liliyarn
Turning the Heel

I do my weigh in on Saturday, but will post my progress. This week 0 pounds lost total of 6 pounds lost since I started keeping track.
Liliyarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 11:13 AM   #14
DQ
Working the Gusset

I want to say I'm in...but I've already started my own personal challenge and reward system.

Basically it's just cutting portions, trying to eat healthy, and at least 30 mins of extra (ie not including housework) exercise at least 5 times a week. I'm on week 4 and I've lost 5lbs, and I didn't put any on over Christmas week! I weigh myself each week (usually Fridays) and my reward is that for every lb I lose my DH gives me 1 to save towards whatever I like! At the moment I'm planning on taking at least some of the reward money along to the Stitch and Craft show that my mum and I plan to go to in February. That's if there is any money...for every lb I put back on I have to give 1 back!

The exercise I'm doing is either I use my manual treadmill, or I use one of my Rosemary Conley workout videos. I'm loving the videos so far

So can I join in a little bit even if I don't do the exact KAL?
Old 12-31-2007, 12:04 PM   #15
gargoylelib
Turning the Heel

What a neat idea! Dh and I are starting back up on our South Beach
Diet after the first of the year and I love the idea of using my
knitting as a way to keep the nibbles away! I have already lost
20 pounds just following the diet but I hope to add some more
regular exercise when we start back up and hopefully get some more
weight off. I want to lost at least another 20 pounds and I have a
ton of knitting projects I want to do this coming year so what a perfect
partnership! I'm in!

Libbie

gargoylelib on Ravelry
gargoylelib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 12:21 PM   #16
eladine
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via MSN to eladine
Fantastic stuff!

I'm in also... 50 pounds to go, and that's a modest estimate - but lets see how that goes first!

I'm signing up, don't have that many ufo's, but i have to say my stash pile is remarkable!! I didn't know I'd stashed so much yarn here and there!!

Will try and post picx of me plus stash plus ufo (2 at the moment!) soon!

Happy New Year, and happy knitting!

El.
eladine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 12:30 PM   #17
knitpurlgurl
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to knitpurlgurl Send a message via Yahoo to knitpurlgurl Send a message via Skype™ to knitpurlgurl
psquidy - I'm in for Monday weigh ins. Why don't we report our progress for our weigh in as well as any finished projects or progress toward finished projects?

Our first official weigh in will be on Monday, January 7th. You don't have to report your weight, but the anound lost or gained. We'll post in this format:

(Example)

Weight: -2 lbs
Project/Progress: Baby Blocks Baby Blanket/Finished 20 rows
Non-Scale Victories This Week:Exercised 3 times this week!

Whoever wants to start the post on Mondays, can start it. We can do this together!!

"Yarn stashes insulate the house."
"Just one more skein can't hurt."
- from Knitticisms
knitpurlgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to knitpurlgurl For This Useful Post:
psquidy (01-04-2008), Spikey (12-31-2007)
Old 12-31-2007, 01:07 PM   #18
raykia
Casting On

Send a message via MSN to raykia
I am IN!!!!

Well ladies I think that we all share the same goals here. And that is to Knit and To Lose some poundage here. lol Well I know for a fact that i completely lose track of time when I knit so, this is a great idea. Now how can I do my crunches and knit at the same time. mmmmmm. guess I have to put the needles down sometime.

But let's do it ladies. I have 17lbs to lose and a bin full of stash to help me stay away from the munchies.

Current WIP is a sweater that I started that has tried to defeat me time and again, but i am stubborn as we all are, when we want to finish a pattern that is just to pretty to let go. Other than that i am looking at socks, more socks, an afghan and more socks.
Til then , lets KNIT!!! and SWEAT!!!
Old 12-31-2007, 02:41 PM   #19
DQ
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by knitpurlgurl View Post

Weight: -2 lbs
Project/Progress: Baby Blocks Baby Blanket/Finished 20 rows
Non-Scale Victories This Week:Exercised 3 times this week!

I like that...maybe I will try and include my knitting, I AM trying to de-stash after all!
Old 12-31-2007, 04:52 PM   #20
aprildavis99
Turning the Heel

Send a message via MSN to aprildavis99
I'd like to join as well, but I also have the problem of posting pics. I haven't joined the most recent decade when it comes to gadgets and a digital camera is not among my posseesions. I can sometimes have a friend take pics for me but it's not very often since we see each other only once in a blue moon. But I can commit to everything else. As we speak, I am having a snack of 10 baby carrots and 32oz of plain ice water....and I have my crochet hook in hand. I am working on a baby blanket as I sit here at the computer. I have dial-up so I can crochet or knit in between pages loading. I am going for a walk with my boys later in the day. At least 30 min. I recently lost 8 lbs in 12 weeks on WW so I plan to keep that momemtum going.