Old 01-02-2008, 01:59 AM   #31
craftymumnz
Casting On

I'm in also as since the birth of my daughter Ive managed to gain an extra 30lbs on top of my pregnancy weight , I'm relatively new to knitting but already have a small stash, its such a great idea but I'm going to take it one step further that every time i feel like eating ill have a glass of water and do a bit of knitting to keep my fingers busy and away from the fridge/pantry .

UFOs
Lilly in pink bolero (for daughter)
button bolero ( " " )
bamboo singlet ( " " )
vest for D's
2 dishcloths
craftymumnz is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-02-2008, 02:24 AM   #32
jeanius80
Instepping Out

i am joining.. (i am also posting FOs on the 2008 stashie KAL)

I have 20 month old dd, and i had lost 20 lbs (from 240lbs) before i got pregnant. during our pregnancy, i ate healthy and gained a total of 12lbs (i am sure my body was donating lots of calories too ) After having my daughter, i shot back up to 220 and have since lost 20, then gained back 10 in the last few months :/

My goal is to be healthy and hopefully get back down to 160#. The sooner the better. I have a few issues i need to get under control in order to get to my goals

1. Don't eat crap! (hard cause i have no self control. AT. ALL.)

2. Get in exercise! (this is hard- i can't afford a gym, and am the type to need someone to workout with.. no one in my house is interested :(

3. Knit up the stashed yarn that i bought for specific projects (this encompasses most of my stash)

the last one isn't hard, i just need to knit more and be online less (i do more reading about knitting than actual knitting)

Thanks for the "knit"-along
jeanius80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:48 AM   #33
Jaxhil
Working the Gusset

wow! LilHFM, that is GREAT! Can you tell a little more about how you've lost 92 lbs in a year? What an inspiration! you should be very proud
Old 01-02-2008, 10:01 AM   #34
HamaLee
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to HamaLee
I'm still in! I'd say I have about 50 lbs to lose. My goals are:

1. NO FAST FOOD (keep snacks in the car for the ride home for work, my weakest point)

2. NO SODA, NO JUICE (I don't even like it that much! What a waste of calories)

3. Get back into regular yoga practice, starting with an easy 20 minutes a day and walk the dog even when it's icky out.

4. Every time I'm "hungry," have a glass of water and knit for 15 minutes first to see if I'm actualy hungry or just bored.

5. Knock out some of my queue items!

Yay!
I don't have a scale at home and I'm not going to obsess, I'll gauge things by how my clothes fit. I know my weight as of the beginning of December since I went to the doctor. So when I go back at the end of January for another vaccination I'll ask them to get my weight again and see if it's changed.

--->Clever Sayings Go Here<---

HamaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:09 AM   #35
LilHuskiesFootBallMom
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to LilHuskiesFootBallMom Send a message via Yahoo to LilHuskiesFootBallMom
Originally Posted by Jaxhil View Post
wow! LilHFM, that is GREAT! Can you tell a little more about how you've lost 92 lbs in a year? What an inspiration! you should be very proud

i'm happy with the progress so far but far from satisfied. I'd like to run in a marathon in 2 years (everything i've said says to take it easy the first year to give your joints and bones time to get stronger.. as well as stamina, then the second year i plan on working on speed). I haven't decided which one to do yet but I know there are more than a few around us, my ultimate goal with that is to do the big one in NYC that goes through the 5 boroughs... we have friends that live down there

i use fitday.com to keep track of what I eat. I was torn a new one by my personal trainer when he saw what i'd been doing to myself (consuming approx. 700 calories a day, my body has been in starvation mode). So he told me to consume 1500 calories, no more than 20 net carbs (i can eat what i want, just don't go over my net carbs... and yes, in that what i want includes places like Panera Breads when we go out to eat!) and i walk quite a bit at a pace of 3 1/2 to 4 miles an hour. Times when I can't go out to walk (like the last couple of weeks thanks to crappy weather up here and I don't own a treadmill YET) I take advantage of the Exercise TV on demand channel that we get with Digital Cable so i can change it up. I also drink no less than 128 ounces of water (1 gallon) a day. It's one of those things where when I started, i ended up gaining 5 pounds while my body figured out that it was going to be getting food 5-6 different times a day (approx. 300 calories at each smaller meal) then the excess weight started falling off. the only annoying part (which i will gladly take) is i have to go buy new pants every month to month and a half because they no longer stay up

and of course, knitting prevents snacking
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LilHuskiesFootBallMom For This Useful Post:
Jaxhil (01-02-2008), jeanius80 (01-02-2008), mommydearest (01-02-2008)
Old 01-02-2008, 11:00 AM   #36
knitpurlgurl
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to knitpurlgurl Send a message via Yahoo to knitpurlgurl Send a message via Skype™ to knitpurlgurl
Anyone know how to create a button (picture) to illustrate our challenge so that we can put it in our sigs?

"Yarn stashes insulate the house."
"Just one more skein can't hurt."
- from Knitticisms
knitpurlgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:09 AM   #37
JamOKnit
Knitting the Flap

What a great idea for a KAL! It's been so hard for me to learn to eat better and fit in more exercise....I spent all of last year making excuses like "I'm too tired" or "I have too much to do". Well, this year is going to be different! I know it's hard to commit to too many things at once, so I'm going to start with going to Jazzercise 3 days a week (I am paying for it anyway, so it's a motivator) and drinking more water during the day. I also plan to work on my diet but with a hungry husband at home, it's hard to always have dinners made of vegetables and such...he's a meat and potatoes kind of guy. I think, though, I can focus on smaller portions and use a small plate instead of a large dinner plate.
I don't have too far to go...but sometimes that's the hardest! Ideally I would like to lose 15 lbs and get back into a size 8 pant! I'm 5'6" and all my weight is in my hips and waist...I'm actually very petite on top and not too busty so I look pretty disproportional. Noticing more and more tummy bulge and I know that's not healthy. Also, no scale at home so we'll see if I notice any change in how my clothes fit. I need to keep reminding myself that the results will take TIME. Much longer than I expect.
As for knitting, it was SUCH a relief to finish all my Christmas presents....it really came down to the wire! So for 2008 I am stash-busting and hoping to finish some projects for MYSELF.
Glad to join in!

I'm JamOKnit on Ravelry.
JamOKnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:47 AM   #38
HamaLee
Working the Gusset

I forgot to add another goal:
Eat at least one salad a day.

I have a great salad bar at work, I should take advantage! I love veggies but I never eat enough.

Water drinking is so important, I feel much better when I'm getting at least 8-10 glasses a day (more if it's hot or I exercise). I have a Nalgene on my desk at all times and I sip throughout the day. I try to make sure I've finished between 1.5 and 2 bottles by the end of the work day. Then I've always got a glass at my computer desk at home.

I just joined FitDay, thanks for the rec. I think I'll try to use it at first for basic exercise and nutrition goals and not worry so much about calorie counting right off the bat.

Originally Posted by HamaLee View Post
I'm still in! I'd say I have about 50 lbs to lose. My goals are:

1. NO FAST FOOD (keep snacks in the car for the ride home for work, my weakest point)

2. NO SODA, NO JUICE (I don't even like it that much! What a waste of calories)

3. Get back into regular yoga practice, starting with an easy 20 minutes a day and walk the dog even when it's icky out.

4. Every time I'm "hungry," have a glass of water and knit for 15 minutes first to see if I'm actualy hungry or just bored.

5. Knock out some of my queue items!

Yay!
I don't have a scale at home and I'm not going to obsess, I'll gauge things by how my clothes fit. I know my weight as of the beginning of December since I went to the doctor. So when I go back at the end of January for another vaccination I'll ask them to get my weight again and see if it's changed.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:52 AM   #39
Holly
Knitting the Flap

LilHSM - thanks for the details...what an inspiration you are! My exercise goal is to run a 5K in the Spring. My workout partner and I were just starting to do more jogging w/ our walking when the weather turned too icey/snowy to really jog outside. We've since switched to workout DVD's, etc... However, I am a member of the YMCA, but only contributing financially -- not actually going to the gym for many months now . I will change this and use the Y when I'm not meeting w/ my workout partner and start to really train so that I can run a 5K. I walked (fast ) in a breast cancer fund raiser in the fall, but I really wanted to be able to run it. I can't even imagine running a marathon!!
Holly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:05 PM   #40
HamaLee
Working the Gusset

Oh I forgot to mention: SparkPeople is another great free site that's like Fitday, it just has a slightly different set up. So check them both out to see which one organizes things in a way you like.

And anyone who's thinking about starting to run for exercise, CoolRunning is a great site with advice and a daily log, etc (you just have to ignore some of the running snobs). And there's a GREAT beginner's program called "Couch to 5K" which will have you running for 30mins or 3 miles straight in about two months. One of the CR members made a podcast that puts music (and words of encouragement) to each of the workouts. It was awesome when I did it last year and I think I'll plan on doing it again.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HamaLee For This Useful Post:
jeanius80 (01-02-2008), PamJ (01-04-2008)