Old 01-02-2008, 12:30 PM   #41
Lisa1216
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by HamaLee View Post
And anyone who's thinking about starting to run for exercise, CoolRunning is a great site with advice and a daily log, etc (you just have to ignore some of the running snobs). And there's a GREAT beginner's program called "Couch to 5K" which will have you running for 30mins or 3 miles straight in about two months. One of the CR members made a podcast that puts music (and words of encouragement) to each of the workouts. It was awesome when I did it last year and I think I'll plan on doing it again.
I did the Couch to 5k program also in the beginning of the year. I loved it. (I then had vein surgery on my legs and had to stop for a few months). Cool Running is a great site, but it was just taken over by Active.com. There was mention that the free running programs, like Couch to 5k, would cost after the switch over, but I haven't been back to see if they are still free or not. If you stay in the Newbie section of the forums, most people are pretty helpful and will answer all of your questions.
I'd like to join this group too, although I don't have much weight to lose. It would be more for fitness and health reasons. I also have some UFO's and a lot of stash I could be knitting up. My goals, which I started 2 weeks ago, are to get back into the running and finish a 5k in the spring. (My BIL has run a half marathon and is now training for his first marathon). I'm also trying to increase my water intake and am adding in some fruit and veggies each day. I usually lack on those two.
Great job to all of us that have started working toward being healthier! Happy New Year to everyone!

When was the last time you did something for the first time?

On the needles: Not much
Finshed: Nothing lately
Lisa1216 on Ravelry
Lisa1216 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-02-2008, 12:46 PM   #42
knitpurlgurl
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to knitpurlgurl Send a message via Yahoo to knitpurlgurl Send a message via Skype™ to knitpurlgurl
To all of you who have posted awesome weight losses already - you inspire me to do this. Your hard work and dedication will be such an inspiration to those of us just getting started. It's really nice that we'll have such a diverse group of people - all at different points in their weight loss and at different fitness levels. It will keep us newbies motivated and on our toes!

Here are my personal goals (1st set of goals): Goal Deadline April 1st
1.) Lose 10% - 18#
2.) Drink water instead of other high cal beverages. Drink at least 1 glass of water for each caffeinated beverage I consume.
3.) Exercise 15 minutes a day, 3 times a week
4.) Cut out the crap from my diet: limit sweets and processed foods to a minimum and only occassionally! This means more fresh produce and ACTUAL cooking on my part!
5.) Don't think of it as a diet. Diets fail. Reprogram my brain to think of it as a lifestyle change.
6.) Don't make changes to my lifestyle that I cannot keep up forever. No more crash diets. No eliminating foods. It never works in the end. Limit the crapola, but don't eliminate it. Everyone needs a piece of chocolate cake every great once in a while.
7.) Get my family involved in a healthier lifestyle. Even though I am the only one overweight, I want my family to develop healthy eating and exercising habits. If I am surrounded by people who are all doing the same thing, it won't be so hard.
8.) When I feel the urge to nibble (usually out of boredom, habit, or anxiety), pull out the knitting and do something constructive, not destructive.
9.) Meet with my knitting group at LEAST once a month. I need other adult interaction. I need some me time. Without it, I start to get bored and resentful and then I EAT!
10.) Remember that EVERYONE slips up. It's not the end of the world. Get back on the wagon and try again. Don't throw in the towel over a brownie.
11.) Don't forget the NON-SCALE victories. There will be weeks when the scale is not favorable. Remember to celebrate my healthier lifestyle, my renewed commitment to knitting (my passion), and my commitment to enjoying and more importantly, LIVING life.
12.) WEIGH IN once a week (and no more than that) and be accountable - no matter WHAT the scale says. Lying to myself or hiding isn't going to make the pounds go away.
13.) Thank God every day that He gave me this life and that I should do my best to continue living it fully.

"Yarn stashes insulate the house."
"Just one more skein can't hurt."
- from Knitticisms
knitpurlgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitpurlgurl For This Useful Post:
PamJ (01-04-2008)
Old 01-02-2008, 02:44 PM   #43
Lisa1216
Turning the Heel

Here's another link for anyone interested in beginning walking/running for exercise. It's from the Runner's World web site.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/...X5X6-6,00.html

I'm going to try this one and see how it goes.

Lisa1216 on Ravelry
Old 01-02-2008, 03:17 PM   #44
LilHuskiesFootBallMom
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to LilHuskiesFootBallMom Send a message via Yahoo to LilHuskiesFootBallMom
Originally Posted by knitpurlgurl View Post
6.) Don't make changes to my lifestyle that I cannot keep up forever. No more crash diets. No eliminating foods. It never works in the end. Limit the crapola, but don't eliminate it. Everyone needs a piece of chocolate cake every great once in a while.
7.) Get my family involved in a healthier lifestyle. Even though I am the only one overweight, I want my family to develop healthy eating and exercising habits. If I am surrounded by people who are all doing the same thing, it won't be so hard.
11.) Don't forget the NON-SCALE victories. There will be weeks when the scale is not favorable. Remember to celebrate my healthier lifestyle, my renewed commitment to knitting (my passion), and my commitment to enjoying and more importantly, LIVING life.
12.) WEIGH IN once a week (and no more than that) and be accountable - no matter WHAT the scale says. Lying to myself or hiding isn't going to make the pounds go away.

#6:
you can still do things like eat out. When we go to Mc Donald's i get a side salad and a grilled snack wrap, then don't eat the tortilla. Also check online to see which places you like to frequent have the nutritional information up so you can make your choice BEFORE you get there and binge on high calorie and high carb foods

#7:
you'll find the kids will adapt to it easier than the spouse... I'll go and post a site that i use frequently for low carb recipies

#11:
remember that muscle weighs more than fat. In addition to using a scale don't forget about a tape measure. So even on the weeks when the scale doesn't move, you still have inches to measure and see results in.

#12:
They've actually done studies that show weighing in daily is more beneficial... it allows for an immediate correction if the numbers start going up as opposed to waiting after a week and having to work even harder the following week.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:55 PM   #45
HamaLee
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to HamaLee
Originally Posted by Lisa1216 View Post
Cool Running is a great site, but it was just taken over by Active.com. There was mention that the free running programs, like Couch to 5k, would cost after the switch over, but I haven't been back to see if they are still free or not.
Oh noes, this is so sad I haven't been back to the site in ages so I didn't know. I prolly shoulda done that before recommending it, sorry!

--->Clever Sayings Go Here<---

HamaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 04:02 PM   #46
Lisa1216
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by HamaLee View Post
Oh noes, this is so sad I haven't been back to the site in ages so I didn't know. I prolly shoulda done that before recommending it, sorry!
I just went and looked and it's still free!
http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Lisa1216 on Ravelry
Old 01-02-2008, 08:19 PM   #47
knitpurlgurl
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to knitpurlgurl Send a message via Yahoo to knitpurlgurl Send a message via Skype™ to knitpurlgurl
Lilhuskiesfootballmom:

I don't give up eating out. I belong to WW. It's just that I want to live healthier - Processed foods are just as bad for you whether they are low-cal, low-carb or full-fat. I want to eat whole foods for the most part. Like I said, I won't eliminate any foods. I'm just going to limit them. Portion control and whole foods are the way to go (for me).

When I was working in a cardiologists' office and giving patients dietary instruction, I always found that they would eliminate foods and then eventually binge. The cardiologists wanted them to eat more simply: whole foods, limit portions, and limit processed and junk foods. The patients who followed that advice had the most success. They never felt deprived and found they could enjoy a meal at any time at any location. I hope to emulate that.

Also, I HAVE to limit my weigh ins. I tend to get obsessive otherwise. I want to know if I'm making progress, but I don't want the scale to be my whole focus.

I would love any recipes you send! Thanks!!

"Yarn stashes insulate the house."
"Just one more skein can't hurt."
- from Knitticisms
knitpurlgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:35 PM   #48
mommydearest
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by knitpurlgurl View Post
I had a nice chat with my dh and asked him how long he wants me to live... 2yrs, 5, 15, 30? And explained that I need his help as much as I need exercise and good foods. He does most of the cooking (he's a cook and he does such a great job of it) but sometimes he thinks he's being kind by making up my plate with potatoes and bread but I explained it isn't helpful to me and my health. I think he finally understands the consequences of being so overweight. My biological mother was diabetic so there is a very good chance of me becoming diabetic with all the extra weight.

I am very happy with this challenge and all the encouragement from y'all.

I have had two very good days with exercise and food. My first goal is 12 lbs. by Feb 1. Any pound lost is free to stay lost forever!

Mary

FO's: Lots of dishcloths, beanies, bandanas, Easy Lace Scarf, Christmas Stockings - mini and regular sizes, Central Park Hoody, Scarf & Hat set, an American Flag Table Runner, Chenille Pillow cover

frogged: Log Cabin Stashghan - I'll try again but in different colors.

I'm jamn2knit @
http://www.ravelry.com/people/jamn2knit
mommydearest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:45 PM   #49
Jaxhil
Working the Gusset

Everyone is so inspiring already

LHFmom-thanks so much for posting more about your weightloss so far-I'm glad to hear you aren't starving yourself anymore!! And more power to you on your goal to run a marathon (that will be an amazing acheivement!!).

KPGurl, I feel like I could have written the list you wrote myself
I agree with all your goals. I feel the same way about not eliminating food groups or any thing, rather, chose whole foods-unprocessed, real food, including lots more veggies and fruits,the vast majority of the time but allowing for that piece of cake or soda at the movies-but let those be the exceptions, not the rule! You put everything so well. I think I'm going to print out your list and read it for inspiration!

Well, I did well today-met my goals, except my veggies I was planning with supper had an accident on the way to the plates-I dropped the WHOLE pan of them in the sink accidentally Unbelieveable! Oh well. I also managed to get my cardio in this morning; I did an hour on my stationary bike, and I am getting up now to do my shortish weight training "circuit". Takes about 30 -40 min depending on how energetic I feel, lol.

SO here I go!! (me at the end of my workout, )
Old 01-03-2008, 05:19 AM   #50
gargoylelib
Turning the Heel

Thanks everybody for the great ideas and websites to help along with all this! Just wanted to post a little progress report for myself. I spoiled myself yesterday in the post holiday sales and bought some
little snack plates that are covered in pictures of bon-bons and chocolates. I figured if I can't eat those things anymore I can still
have them "on my plate" hehe.... Another thing I discovered is that when learning a new knitting technique I must be burning extra calories because I am forcing myself to learn stranded colorwork using
both hands (I've always knit continental so the english style is alot of
work) and by the time I was finsihed with my knitting session last night I was sweating bullets! hahaha....good thing is I'm just use practice yarn as I know the fo is nothing more than a giant swatch so not like I will be gifting someone a sweaty knitted gift! hehehe.....

Anyway, my goals are as follows:

1. Lose 20 pounds for this first round hopefully at a rate of 2 pounds a week. (seems slow but that is what I did last year and even after I completely stopped being careful and just went wild again I never gained a single pound back so seems to work for me!)

2. Get in some exercise! I need help with ideas for this one because I can't afford a gym and while I usually get out and walk everywhere with my dd (don't have a car) the weather this time of year here makes it hard for me to get out with her and stay for very long. Any ideas??

3. Learn stranded colorwork even if it kills me!! <---I already told dh that means putting a fair isle motif on my tombstone

4. Knit an adult sized garment for myself...I've only ever knit toddler sized clothes.

I'm sure some more goals will pop up as I go along! I'll do my first weigh in on this coming Monday and post it to the group because once it's in black and white and in front of witnesses there is no going back!! hehe...

Libbie

gargoylelib on Ravelry
gargoylelib is offline   Reply With Quote