Old 01-02-2008, 11:53 PM   #1
AngelLeah1981
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via Yahoo to AngelLeah1981
Newbie alert ! Newbie alert !!
Looks like I'm the newest newbie. ha ha.

I really don't like my beginners knitting book. It isn't detailed enough. In fact I purled a whole dog sweater (just a square and two rectangles sewed together btw came out REALLY neat) and after I was done with the sweater I tried to learn something else in the book and couldn't figure it out so I went to youtube and found out I wasn't even casting on or knitting correctly. I thought I WAS knitting. I looked at the book after the video and the photo made more sense. ugh. Most of the time when I read instructions online I can understand it more than the book. I am a more visual person anyways.

Anyhoo, I'm hoping someone can show me how to do stockinette by video. I am doing EXACTLY what the directions say to do but it looks nothing like it's supposed to. I'm so confused.

Also, I don't know if this matters or not but I don't know the difference between the front and back (example: bring yarn to front). I don't know if this is the problem or not.

Photo 1: the correct objective
Photo 2: my millionth try to complete objective correctly. looks nothing like its supposed to

PLEASE HELP. I'm about to pull my hair out !!! ha ha.
P.S. If a video cannot be produced, I can make a video of what I'm doing and maybe you can tell me what I'm doing wrong. I thought it was pretty simple. Knit one row, purl next row, and repeat. This smiley is me but I'm crying and not laughing. LOL.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00040.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	46087  Click image for larger version

Name:	img0038.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	46088  

Last edited by AngelLeah1981 : 01-02-2008 at 11:57 PM. Reason: trying to get my signature to show.... it may assist in my answers / help
AngelLeah1981 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-02-2008, 11:58 PM   #2
AngelLeah1981
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via Yahoo to AngelLeah1981
I can do these only so far:

cast on
knit
purl
bind off in knit and purl
slip stitch
decrease a few different ways in knit and purl
increase a few different ways in knit and purl
yarn over between knit stitches
yarn over between purl stitches

I can only do:
cast on, k, p,
bind off in k & p
sl st
dec a few diff ways in k & p
inc a few diff ways in k & p
yo bet k & p st
diff pats of ribbing
garter & st st
correcting mistakes
simple cable pat
complex cable pats
k w/ 4 needles and circular needles
join yarn, color changes, and picture charts
AngelLeah1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:33 AM   #3
witeowl
Ribbing the Cuff

Hmmm... that's odd. The sample you did honestly looks like a garter stitch to me. That would require that you knit (or purled) every single row, though.

You said that you purled a dog sweater. How did you do that? The reason I ask is because - if you didn't create a garter stitch - the reverse side of all purl would be all knit and that would be your stockinette goal.

Have you watched the videos on this site? The demo of a small project on this page creates a stockinette "blanket for a bug", I think she calls it.
witeowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:40 AM   #4
The.Knitter
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,187 Posts
ON the first picture you posted. See the one side, square on the left if you are facing the screen, the little V's across each row? that is the knit row. See the second picture, where there are rows of "bumps"? That is the purl row. In stockinette stitch, the knit row would be the "right" side of your work, unless otherwise designated by the pattern.

Use the videos up top (listed under "view videos") to show you how to do a purl stitch, a knit stitch, a decrease, an increase, and all sorts of wonderful techniques. Best of luck to you!
Welcome to our group and to the wonderful addiction that is KNITTING!

Find our "Canadian Oddball Blanket KAL" on Ravelry as: OddballBlankets

The.Knitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:47 AM   #5
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,843 Times in 1,908 Posts
Maybe it would help if you found a group of knitters in your area to sit and knit with. I bet that you'd get lots of good advice. Also, continue watching online knitting videos. One day, it will just "click". That's the way it was for me.

When I started knitting, I bought myself a skein of pretty red yarn, and some size 10 needles. Then, I sat in front of my computer, and watched knitting videos over and over and over again.
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:51 AM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
To get stockinette stitch you do knit one row, purl one row. That creates the smooth side and the bumpy side. If you knit every row or purl every row, you get garter stitch which looks like the bumpy side, but has ridges of knits between. To make a knit stitch you insert the needle into the front `leg' of a stitch from front to back. To make a purl stitch, you insert the needle from back to front.

Look at the videos on this page http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/knitting-tips under Basic Stitch patterns and maybe you'll figure out what you're doing wrong.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:56 AM   #7
mom23kids
Casting On

Learning to knit
Keep going and watching the videos! I learned by watching the wonderful videos on this site, but I kept adding a stitch. Several people here tried to explain to me what I was doing wrong, but ultimately, I went to a local yarn store and sat at their "help" table and had several people help me. I have finished one scarf (with a few errors) and am working on another one, with less errors!

I suggest you try to find someone to sit with to watch what you're doing and see if they can help you out!
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 02:02 AM   #8
Jayeda
Casting On

ooohh, one more thing. When I started knitting, my rows looked exactly like that, and it was because when it was facing the right way, I would knit, and when it was facing the wrong way, I would knit again, causing me to purl the right way. Basically, when the right way was facing me, it was an alternate row of knit and purl.
The one in the pic that you showed was someone alternating knit and purl (knit facing the right way and purl facing the wrong way)...I hope this helped.
OMG I have that book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's: I Taught Myself Knitting with simple instructions and clear diagrams make it easy to teach youself....
the one i got included a size 6&8 pari of straight needles, stitch holder, tapestry yearn needles...among other things...if I'm correct, we have the same book.
I really didn't use it, I just use this website instead.

Last edited by Jayeda : 01-03-2008 at 02:07 AM. Reason: I just realized the newbie and I had that same book!
Jayeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:05 AM   #9
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
Welcome to KH!!

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:50 AM   #10
Plantgoddess+
Working the Gusset

When you are holding your work in front of you, the front would be facing you and to knit you put your needle in the bottom or left side of the loop on the needle and slide up. You would have your working yarn behind your work and you bring it around your right needle tip and lift the loop on the left needle over and off the needle. To purl bring your yarn forward to the front, moving it between your needles and over your work. You insert your right tip from the top of the loop on left needle down to the left, wrap your yarn and slip stitch over the wrap and off the needle.
I would try the library as well to see if they have other beginning knitting books that might ring a bell with you more.