Old 01-03-2008, 01:24 PM   #1
kbagel
1st Leg of the Journey

Advice - I'm thinking of getting a dog
I've been thinking of getting a dog for a while now but I have just recently begun looking at local shelters. I found a dog, a 6 year old Chihuahua mix named Milo, at a shelter in Connecticut that I'm in love with. My BF and I are scheduled to go and meet him this weekend.

He won't be alone much because he's small enough that I can take him places with me, on the subway, to work, and home when I go to Detroit to visit my parents.

I've never had a dog of my very own before. My BF's parents, and brother both have dogs and my sister has a dog so I've dog sat all of them before for a couple of weeks at a time. And by dogsat, I mean live-in dog sitting. I guess I just want to be 100% sure that this is the best thing for me and the dog.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks,
Kristin

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-03-2008, 01:30 PM   #2
HamaLee
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to HamaLee
Invest in lint rollers!! ...kidding, kidding....except, not really

As you can tell from my avatar I'm totally a proponent of dog ownership/adoption (I adopted my mutt from a shelter, he came with issues...as many can, but with consistent effort he's a really wonderful dog). And for first time owners, or people without a ton of time to devote to puppyhood and housetraining, adopting an adult dog can be great. My guy was only a year and a half when I got him, but he was 100% housebroken...which was awesome. A 6 yr old dog will likely have settled a lot of the over-stimulated crazy wild energy and hopefully be reliably housebroken.

Trust your gut. You have experience caring for a dog, you seem to have wanted one for awhile. When you go meet this guy you'll just know if it clicks...either you'll say "eh, he's alright I guess" or you'll say "MUST HAVE. NOW NOW NOW!"

Goodluck, have fun, and take pictures! The internet has TONS of info and advice on training and dog ownership and I'm sure you can get lots from all the dog owners on KH too!

--->Clever Sayings Go Here<---

HamaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:35 PM   #3
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
Go for it! It does sound like you've put a lot of thought into this matter, and it sounds like you are ready. Too often, people make split-second decisions that they regret later. That does not seem to be the case with you.

I am the proud owner of three dogs...adopting all of mine from animal shelters. Yeah, I'm a bit crazy, but let's just say that there is a lot of love for animals in my home.

Post pictures when you bring the new member home!

Oh, have you thought of names yet? I'm assuming you have.

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:41 PM   #4
knitncook
Working the Gusset

Make sure that you really can take him to all those places. Some places have a "no non-service animal order" and frown upon "purse dogs." Having a dog is a big commitment more so than having a cat. What do you do with it if you can't take it with you? What do you do when you go on vacation? Are you willing to deal with the resultant messes that may happen if you don't come home on time? Do you have cats and is food stealing going to be an issue.

Don't get me wrong, I love dogs and visit with many of my friends' often, but the "maintenance" of dogs is much higher than that of cats. We are definitely not dog-owning people and realized that years ago.

knitncook there, too!

OTN: Laughing Carrots; Jaywaler
FO: Potamus socks; Palindrome
knitncook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:45 PM   #5
kbagel
1st Leg of the Journey

Thanks for the advice!

AuburnChick, he's already 6 years old so we'll probably call him Milo still but we may pronounce it "meelo."

The other good thing about Milo is he was brought in by a family member when his elderly owner died suddenly. When I spoke with the shelter, they said that he came from a good home and was well taken care of.

Thanks so much!
Old 01-03-2008, 01:51 PM   #6
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
Best advice I can give about dogs is mustard, not ketchup.

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:57 PM   #7
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,740 Times in 7,112 Posts
Originally Posted by Knitting_Guy View Post
Best advice I can give about dogs is mustard, not ketchup.

It sounds like he'll be a great dog, but remember he doesn't come without baggage. He was raised by someone else for a long time and you don't know his little ideocyncrasies and behavioural issues so you'll need to be patient with him. Get him some rawhide bones and a few toys so he'll have something to play with besides your slippers.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 04:36 PM   #8
kbagel
1st Leg of the Journey

Knitncook...I have already checked into carrying dogs with me. Thankfully, in New York, you can take dogs into the subway and many buildings if they fit in a dog carrier. Also, both mine and my BF's office are dog friendly. And, no, we don't have any cats. I'm majorly allergic, like break out in hives all over my body allergic, to cats. I have been tested for allergies, however, and I'm not allergice to dogs.

PS. Mason, I agree, ketchup just doesn't properly compliment the smoky flavor of a good hot dog.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:30 PM   #9
knitncook
Working the Gusset

Oh good! You did your homework! I've met so many dog owners who really didn't know what they were getting into when they got a dog. Florida has very few places where you can take your dog inside if it isn't a service animal. There seems to be a fad of having little "pocket dogs" which are so vogue right now, but around here I've seen so many people thrown out of restaurants, retail businesses and other places because they decided to take their dog with them.

Have fun with your pup and I'm glad you won't break out in hives from him! (Making a mental note not to send kbagel anything from this cat fur layered house!)

knitncook there, too!

OTN: Laughing Carrots; Jaywaler
FO: Potamus socks; Palindrome
knitncook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:57 PM   #10
vaknitter
Working the Gusset

Thank you for getting a pupper from the shelter and bot buying one...there are so many great animals at the shelter in need of a home : )
My other word of advice is get 2+ dogs - they're funnier than TV. My youngest (1yr old boxer mix) is current running up and down the hallway with a very loud Air KONG football squeaky toy, oops now we're burrowing under a floor pillow, back to sqeaky, harassing the old dog for his chew toy, nevermind, just saw the dishtowel hanging over the sink just within reach ....
vaknitter is offline   Reply With Quote