Old 01-04-2008, 10:29 PM   #1
knitgal
Working the Gusset

Gauge is kicking my butt!
I'm about to start the two-tone shrug from Fitted Knits (my first garment) and before I do, I'm knitting a gauge swatch like a good girl
I bought Addis in a size 8 (which I LOVE), in accordance with the pattern, but when I did the swatch, my gauge was off. The pattern says I should have 20 stitches per 4 inches, so 5 stitches per inch. An 8 gave me 4 stitches per inch, so I went down to a 7. This gave me 5 stitches per inch, BUT only 9 stitches per 2 inches....What's going on? Should I try a 6.5?
Also, the pattern calls to do the ribbing in a size 5. Does this mean that I should decrease my needle size for that too?
I've never knit anything where gauge was extremely important, so I want to get this right!
Thanks!

OTN: Corona, Miter square blanket, Charity blankets
FO: Forest Canopy Shawl, Easy Baby Bootees, Kitty Pi, Ms. Marigold, Twinkle Toes, Josh's socks, Hedera socks, Spring Beret, Ashley's Birthday socks, Socks for the DBF's mom, grey socks for the DBF, my first socks, reversible cable scarf, ribbed hat for the BF, Manos Del Uruguay afghan, and a whole bunch of dishcloths!

knitgal is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-04-2008, 10:37 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,224 Times in 1,828 Posts
I usually reduce my ribbing needle to correspond to any change in the regular needle. That's the easy part.

If you're off by 1/2 a stitch for 2 inches, I don't think going down another size is going to really handle that. I think you'll get too tight.

Measure your swatch in 3 spots and average them. That will give you a better overall gauge. Then measure again as your knitting, since it can change a bit then, too. I find that a swatch is often tighter for me than the actual garment, since I relax more when I'm just knitting away.

Then there's blocking to consider, too. That could take care of any minor discrepencies.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:49 PM   #3
knitgal
Working the Gusset

I measured each swatch in several places and got the same results. I have just read so many horror stories about gauge making such a difference in people's work that I'm sort of paranoid.
So should I just knit with the 7 then?

FO: Forest Canopy Shawl, Easy Baby Bootees, Kitty Pi, Ms. Marigold, Twinkle Toes, Josh's socks, Hedera socks, Spring Beret, Ashley's Birthday socks, Socks for the DBF's mom, grey socks for the DBF, my first socks, reversible cable scarf, ribbed hat for the BF, Manos Del Uruguay afghan, and a whole bunch of dishcloths!

Old 01-04-2008, 11:05 PM   #4
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,224 Times in 1,828 Posts
There isn't a size 6 1/2 needle that I know about, and I think a 6 would bring you down too much, though you could certainly try.

If you're off by one stitch per 4 inches, then out of 20 inches you'd be off by 5 stitches--an inch. Is that too much? You can do some math based on the final measurements of the pattern and see what effect it would have.

Also, wash your swatch and see what happens to it. That will give you the true final gauge.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 11:14 PM   #5
knitgal
Working the Gusset

Oops, I guess I was thinking in mm rather than US sizing! I always get confused...sorry! I'll start knitting with the 7's and see what happens.