Old 01-07-2008, 01:26 AM   #1
Skull_Bliss
Casting On

Crazy Knitting Thought
Hi all. I'm new and this is my first post. No this isn't an introduction but something that popped into my head. I've got a cold and while picking up more cold medicine I wandered into the knitting section. Looking at the needles and thinking about the magic that is knitting I found myself wondering if the first wands were knitting needles. Both are long and skinny. Watching a woman turning this length of yarn into a garment just using two sticks must have seem magical. Of course this just could be the cold medicine talking. What do ya'all think?

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-07-2008, 01:41 AM   #2
alleusion
Turning the Heel

Interesting thought that does have some merit. However, thinking back, if knitting were considered magical then many many more people would have been burned or hung or drowned for practicing magic.

...I can't have too many projects, I still have empty needles...

alleusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 02:30 AM   #3
holamiis
1st Leg of the Journey

Interesting...alleusion has a very good point though. It may be the cold medicine talking!
holamiis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 04:26 AM   #4
Debkcs
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,192 Posts
I think it's the cold medicine. Historically, it was men who did the most knitting,and certainly men who did production knitting. Fishermen 'knit' their nets and hunters 'knit' nets to catch game. At the Natural History museum in L.A., you can see exhibits of both, rather interesting. Nets were also woven, and, a large form of tatting was used in some cultures.

"All good things and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of Lights who cannot change."
James 1:17
Debkcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 01:34 PM   #5
ironmaiden
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by alleusion View Post
Interesting thought that does have some merit. However, thinking back, if knitting were considered magical then many many more people would have been burned or hung or drowned for practicing magic.

Good point.

Really I'm just replying because my daughter's name is Emily Elizabeth and I saw your sig lol.

OTN: Evangeline, Criss-cross cable scarf, Cabled sweater, Malabrigo drop stitch scarf
ironmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 03:52 PM   #6
bethany
Turning the Heel

I love the thinking! Could just be the cold, but...hmm...yes, the fishermen and all. But that's not to say that we can't say they are our magic wands now!

OTN: Old Shale Lace Triangle
OTH: blanket
FO: 3 pairs Pocketbook slippers, Kickline socks, baby cloths, 007 monkey, market bag, Ocean socks, chemo cap, 12 Stitch-It! blankets, 9 Charity Oddball baby blankets

: Bethanyg

bethany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 07:14 PM   #7
Skull_Bliss
Casting On

Well I'm glad the thought was entertaining to some and I had no idea about the knitted nets. Which something to add onto my 'Things to Knit' List. I'm really thinking it's the cold medicine and the fact that I walked by a Cinderella DVD. That Fairy Godmother's wand would make a wicked knitting needle. Also it's probably good for poking people ;P. And now to get back to knitting and blowing my nose (not at the same time of course)