Old 01-07-2008, 07:15 PM   #1
retireddiva
Casting On

Should I take classes to learn to knit socks?
I have knit scarves, hats, and one sweater. Now I would like to try socks. I don't know if socks are easy to self teach or should I take a class. My LYS offers a class (acutally 4 classes over a period of time) for $70 that includes everything. I keep debating with myself whether to get a good sock book or sign up. Any thoughts out there? I know socks are so popular and would love to knit a pair (I think). EVeryone here gives such good advice so I would really appreciate your opinions. This is the best knitting site!!
retireddiva is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-07-2008, 07:20 PM   #2
Lisa R.
Turning the Heel

Well, I'm doing my first one, self-taught. I knitted a bunch of little stocking ornaments, which were pretty easy. I also knitted a pair of fuzzy feet, which is nothing but a big sock, and now I'm on the first actual, real sock. However, I'm only knitting the gusset now, so it will be a little bit before I can tell you for sure if I did okay without taking a class!

But Silver's tutorial helps, as do the videos on this site! I think you can do it, but there sure have been a few times I thought it would be very nice to have someone in person tell me what I'm doing or need to be doing next.

All depends on how you are with figuring stuff out.

I'm Knittermom9 on Ravelry
Lisa R. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lisa R. For This Useful Post:
Jen17 (01-07-2008), retireddiva (01-07-2008)
Old 01-07-2008, 07:23 PM   #3
knitgal
Working the Gusset

I would at least try to knit them on your own first. Silver's sock class, found here is a great tutorial. Many people have knit their first socks using this awesome resource. It's full of pictures and it's really easy to understand.
If you need more help, then you could sign up for the class!

OTN: Corona, Miter square blanket, Charity blankets
FO: Forest Canopy Shawl, Easy Baby Bootees, Kitty Pi, Ms. Marigold, Twinkle Toes, Josh's socks, Hedera socks, Spring Beret, Ashley's Birthday socks, Socks for the DBF's mom, grey socks for the DBF, my first socks, reversible cable scarf, ribbed hat for the BF, Manos Del Uruguay afghan, and a whole bunch of dishcloths!

knitgal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to knitgal For This Useful Post:
2sweetgirls38 (01-07-2008), Jen17 (01-07-2008), retireddiva (01-07-2008)
Old 01-07-2008, 07:31 PM   #4
labeelady
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via Yahoo to labeelady Send a message via Skype™ to labeelady
I learned how to knit socks on two circulars from the companion book to "A Good Yarn" by Debbie Macomber. I made Lydia's Socks on size 3 needles and Moda Dea Sassy Stripes. I didn't know anything about density of fabric then, just that I was using what the pattern called for.
I finished that pair on my own without having to take any class at all.
However, I don't ever wear those socks because they hurt my feet when I walk on them!

The best thing I ever did after that was to buy a copy of "Sensational Knitted Socks" by Charlene Schurch. That book is worth the money you pay for it as you learn all about gauge, how to calculate your cast-on using measurements, etc.

While I was knitting my first socks, I went to the LYS and found others there that were taking the sock classes they offered. They would get a certain point, then have to stop because they had a problem and needed to wait for class so they could ask the teacher. I'm glad I didn't have any such problems..lol.

You can do it on your own if you already know how to knit and purl.
Get yourself a couple of basic sock books such as the one I mentioned and go for it!

Labeelady

Pat Harper,
Carencro LA,
labeelady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to labeelady For This Useful Post:
retireddiva (01-07-2008)
Old 01-07-2008, 07:31 PM   #5
Plantgoddess+
Working the Gusset

I agree with the others to try Slver's tutorial and the ones on this site. If you can read patterns for other projects you should be able to follow a good sock pattern. I am self taught and found socks no more difficult than sweaters or afghans.
retireddiva (01-07-2008)
Old 01-07-2008, 07:40 PM   #6
boo1
Turning the Heel

I think the social aspect would be fun....
even if you didn't need the help! I like to find people to knit with!

boo1
boo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:11 PM   #7
retireddiva
Casting On

Thanks everyone. I think you all have convinced me to try socks on my own. I have looked at Silver's tutorial and I am going to give it a try. She probably tells you what needles and yarn to use or at least suggestions. Of course, the social aspect is something to consider and having to go to my LYS every two weeks would certainly be a plus! But I will give it a try on my own first. I've almost finished this first sweater, child's size 4, all by myself! I will go out this weekend and get my sock stuff!! Thanks for the advise!
retireddiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:31 PM   #8
2sweetgirls38
Ribbing the Cuff

I just checked out Silver's sock class. Great tutorial!
2sweetgirls38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:56 PM   #9
starburst
Knitting the Flap

http://www.knitpicks.com/cart/cartview.asp#
I'm about to buy that--it comes with the yarn, the needles and a book, so if nothing else, I get all the supplies out of it. I have a feeling that I am going to end up using silver's tutorial for my first one, but th ebook will be a nice reference for the future.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:08 AM   #10
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
Silver's sock class is all ya need to understand the basics of sock construction.

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote