Old 01-08-2008, 07:15 PM   #1
Jennyloves2knit
Ribbing the Cuff

advice PLEASE
I was very excited my hubby wanted to learn to knit UNTIL last night. It was his second attempt and he was doing well. Then, to my shock, he made and mistake on his swatch and CUT it with scissors. I was hoping my sharp inhale would discourage this. By the third time, I HAD to ask him to let me help. I taught him how to tink and frog. Then, I left the room and was able to relax with my knitting. Unfortunately, when I returned after he went to bed, he left the yarn and needles on the couch! We have cats.....they love to play with yarn and bite on needles! I put the yarn back in it's bag and the needles in the case. I figured out how to talk to him about those two things.....just calmly explain that the cats can ruin the WIPs. However, how do I explain that he is going to have to purchase his own yarn to work with. My stash is beautiful. I put lots of thought into each purchase....touching the material.....figure out what to make with it.....and protecting it in bags. He feels I could just go buy more yarn and does not understand. Does anyone have any advice PLEASE. I love that he wants to learn to knit and I look forward to shopping in our LYS and knitting with him. Unfortunately, I see knitting as an art to be LOVED and CHERISHED.....he sees it as a hobby.
Jennyloves2knit is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-08-2008, 07:40 PM   #2
Lisa R.
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Jennyloves2knit View Post
However, how do I explain that he is going to have to purchase his own yarn to work with. My stash is beautiful. I put lots of thought into each purchase....touching the material.....figure out what to make with it.....and protecting it in bags. He feels I could just go buy more yarn and does not understand. Does anyone have any advice PLEASE..
Honestly? I think you should point out to him how you feel about your yarn, but unless you are buying one-of-a-kind hand-dyed stuff that you actually cannot, he's right that you CAN go out and buy some more. For me, my relationship with my dh would take precedence over my yarn, and if I told him how important it was to me that he get his own, and he still insisted on using my stash....I'd just go get more when I needed it, and enjoy the time spent knitting with him!

I'm Knittermom9 on Ravelry
Lisa R. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lisa R. For This Useful Post:
Jennyloves2knit (01-08-2008)
Old 01-08-2008, 07:42 PM   #3
scout52
Working the Gusset

if he is putting up shelves and they go on crooked does he smash them down with a hammer? i think not. he unscrews them and rehangs it straight. reading that just about gave me a heart attack!! I feel your pain!!
scout52 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scout52 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2008, 07:48 PM   #4
Jennyloves2knit
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks so much for replying. I do not have one-of-a kind yarn. I got so anxious over the situation, I could not think clearly. Thanks again
Old 01-08-2008, 07:54 PM   #5
Jennyloves2knit
Ribbing the Cuff

scout52- thank you for replying and understanding how anxious I was. I so LOVE this site! How do you put the smiley faces in the box? I only know how to smile?
Old 01-08-2008, 08:13 PM   #6
Lisa R.
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Jennyloves2knit View Post
Thanks so much for replying. I do not have one-of-a kind yarn. I got so anxious over the situation, I could not think clearly. Thanks again
Well, it's not MY yarn, so I could think more clearly!

The other, fancier smileys show up when you click on the big "Post Reply" button at the top or bottom of the thread, instead of the little reply button on each post.

I'm Knittermom9 on Ravelry
Lisa R. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lisa R. For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2008, 08:28 PM   #7
scout52
Working the Gusset

Jenny you are very welcome. It wonderful that he wants to knit but he needs to respect the yarn and the needles!!
scout52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:45 PM   #8
Becky Morgan
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by scout52 View Post
if he is putting up shelves and they go on crooked does he smash them down with a hammer?
Mine does. He throws things,swears and screams every time he attempts any project. I do home repairs when he's not around and will not even try to get him interested in knitting.

That explanation aside, yes, explain the basics of your stash and show him what's easy to replace and what isn't.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:45 PM   #9
suecq
1st Leg of the Journey

I would buy some nice (not special) yarn that he could use. When he wants to knit give him the yarn you bought for his use. If he wants another yarn from your stash just tell him you were saving that yarn for such & such project.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:28 PM   #10
Jennyloves2knit
Ribbing the Cuff

Lisa R. - Thank you again! I love smiley faces ! I also love this site! Everyone is so friendly