Old 01-08-2008, 09:13 PM   #1
mommycakes
Casting On

Shape Shoulders and Neck...HELP
I am pretty new to knitting and am feeling pretty good about myself (small pat on the back) but something I can't figure out is this...

"At neck edge bind off 10 stitches at once, 5 stitches at once, WHILE AT THE SAME TIME, at armhole edge bind off 2 stitches twice, bind off remaining stitches"

why wouldn't the pattern just say bind off 15 stitches to start with. and what does WHILE AT THE SAME TIME MEAN?

What I am inclined to do is this...

bind off 15 stitches, then bind off 2 stitches twice, bind off remainder.

I realize this is probably not what I am supposed to do or the author would have said so. no?

Can anyone make this any clearer for me. I am soooo close to
being done. Never mind that it is clearly two sizes to big for me. I need to finish it!

Thanks !

"If I had my life to live over... I'd dare to make more mistakes next time. "

Nadine Stair
mommycakes is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-08-2008, 10:52 PM   #2
zkimom
Working the Gusset

"At neck edge bind off 10 stitches at once, 5 stitches at once, WHILE AT THE SAME TIME, at armhole edge bind off 2 stitches twice, bind off remaining stitches"

What you are doing here is binding off stitches over 4 rows of knitting. So first you bind off your 10 stitches for your neck edge, then work across to the end of that row. Then turn your work -- you should be at the armhole edge now -- bind off 2 stitches and work to the end of the row. Now turn your work again -- you should be back to the neck edge and here you will bind off 5 stitches and work to the end of the row, turn and bind off the last 2 stitches of the armhole edge and work to the end of the row.

At least that's how I would do it.

Check out my photoblog: Photobella

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
--Elwood P. Dodd
zkimom is offline   Reply With Quote