Old 01-09-2008, 12:52 PM   #1
luvknitting2
Ribbing the Cuff

Ever done a lacy shawl/scarf with heavy/bulky yarn?
just wondering. i just bought this yarn from valley yarns (85%wool and 15% Alpaca) called Berkshire. It's a gorgeous, vibrant blue - and i never, ever buy blue yarn and never wear blue - but - WOW, what a color. the color is beautiful and it knits really nice and easy. i started a simple poncho with it (mostly boring SS stitch) and am only 3 inches into it and am bored already (even though i really like the finished pattern). lol

anyway, i wanted to try an experiment - a lacy pattern for a scarf or rectangular shawl with heavy/bulky weight yarn (it gets about 3.5-4 spi) on 11-13 needles). i just live where it gets soooooo cold and even though it's not a traditional thing to do, i wonder if anyone has ever tried it and liked the way it looked.

anyone who has a pic of something like that would be great also. thanks in advance for any feedback.
luvknitting2 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-09-2008, 01:53 PM   #2
syndactylus
Turning the Heel

I made my SIL a shawl using baby alpaca brushed from Plymouth, and she lives in it during the winter my mother says.
(Or at least at my mother's house, which is practically unheated. )
That's only heavy worsted, I knit it on 10s, but that is close?
I loved how it turned out but when I was home at thanksgiving I noticed it seemingly shrank/or wasn't as blocked as when I first finished it. I don't know whether that's the yarn, the weight, or because she washed it and didn't reblock it though.
It was this pattern: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/libr...fect-pie-shawl.
But I have no pictures of it because the the yarn is so black and so fuzzy none came out well at all.
syndactylus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to syndactylus For This Useful Post:
luvknitting2 (01-09-2008)
Old 01-09-2008, 02:20 PM   #3
bethany
Turning the Heel

someone just talked about this in the chat room the other night...I think they said they did the feather and fan shawl with a thicker weight...does that sound right to anyone? Who was that...?

OTN: Old Shale Lace Triangle
OTH: blanket
FO: 3 pairs Pocketbook slippers, Kickline socks, baby cloths, 007 monkey, market bag, Ocean socks, chemo cap, 12 Stitch-It! blankets, 9 Charity Oddball baby blankets

: Bethanyg

bethany is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bethany For This Useful Post:
luvknitting2 (01-09-2008)
Old 01-09-2008, 02:46 PM   #4
boo1
Turning the Heel

I'm glad this was posted because >>>
I've been wanting to make a shawl but I don't think I would ever get much use out of one the was made of very thin, lightweight yarn.

Now I think I might have found a new project.

boo1
boo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 02:51 PM   #5
luvknitting2
Ribbing the Cuff

that was my thought as well. a lacey one is so pretty, but the lightweight yarn in my climate is not very practical. Plus, I guess i thought it might knit up much quicker. I think i'm going to undo the 3 inches i've already done and change over to a rectangle lacey shawl pattern and see what it looks like.
luvknitting2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 03:19 PM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
The feather and fan patterns works well in any weight yarn, from lace to chunky. You can certainly make it rectangular, but here's a triangular shawl done in worsted weight http://www.knitting-and.com/knitting...fort-shawl.htm and I found pictures of the same pattern in all sorts of yarn. http://flickr.com/groups/feathernfan/pool/

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
bethany (01-10-2008), luvknitting2 (01-09-2008), tootie44 (01-10-2008)
Old 01-10-2008, 10:56 AM   #7
MMario
Turning the Heel

yes - lace can look very lovely in heavy yarns knit on large needles. Shawls, scarves, afghans, lap robes, etc all work well.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:56 PM   #8
Lucy78green
Turning the Heel

Send a message via ICQ to Lucy78green Send a message via MSN to Lucy78green
I saw this by DotMom61 and I decided to make one for myself with the pattern but the yarn I bought was superchunky and the lace detail didn't show up until I changed up to 10mm needles (I skipped the ribbing in the middle though)
Lucy78green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 06:19 PM   #9
kristinw
Turning the Heel

I made the Isobel Scarf with Malabrigo, which is worsted. If you do a search on the forums, I think someone made one out of slightly thicker yarn.

Here is a picture.

My knitting blog: The Knit of It

I'm kristin on
kristinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 02:19 AM   #10
cookworm
Working the Gusset

This pattern isn't extremely lacy, but it does use bulky weight yarn. I've used this pattern oodles of times, using either bulky weight yarn or double-stranded worsted weight yarn. It's an easy pattern and it goes fast, and I was pleased with the results. I would recommend staying away from boucle yarn they recommend in the pattern because the smooth yarns look much nicer than the boucle does for this particular pattern (but that's just my personal experience).

I'm on flickr, too!
I love to knit shawls...after all, a girl can't have too many shawls!
cookworm is offline   Reply With Quote