Old 01-09-2008, 06:22 PM   #1
boyforpele13
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to boyforpele13 Send a message via MSN to boyforpele13 Send a message via Yahoo to boyforpele13
purl(s) at beginning of round
any tips on making this easier or better looking? like in a sock when the rounds begin with a purl or several, it's just a little fiddly for me and i notice the ladders that I thought I had long left behind are reappearing a bit.

i am going back and forth between magic loop and 2 circulars and have been redistributing the stitches to avoid the purl beginnings, but i'm at a point now in a pattern where that's getting odd and difficult, so looking for alternatives.

thanks!

Share Your Life With a Deaf Dog!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. - Marianne Williamson
boyforpele13 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-09-2008, 06:36 PM   #2
...dotty...
Working the Gusset

Location: Other side of the computer screen, back in Tennessee !
I haven't done this in a few weeks so I'm going from memory, here, but I remember coming up with a different way of holding my needle while doing magicloop and starting with a purl stitch. I can't describe it exactly, but know that I made a point of getting the cable and the last stitch made, right against that first purl stitch that I took, and pulling the heck out of it to tighten.

Okay, wait a minute,.......I've tried to photograph how I do it.........it really involves turning that loop of cable the opposite of how you do it when you start with a knit stitch. With knitting I have the cable behind my needle when I start; with purling I have my cable loop in front of my needle. That difference seems to let me pull the two stitches together a little more snugly !

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	purling with magicloop.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	46200  

MY RAVELRY ......... MY BLOG ....... http://dollyshome.blogspot.com/
...dotty... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 04:19 AM   #3
gargoylelib
Turning the Heel

Hi!

I am currently working on a pair of socks that has a purl at the beginning of each pattern section. I couldn't get it to look tight enough with magic loop (I don't like using ml anyway haha) so I restarted on two circulars and the first sock came out perfect.
What I did was to pull the first purl on the row really tight. Also, it
looked like there were ladders until I had knit for several rows and I
just gave a little tug down on my knitting and it all evened out. I would
say just make the first purl tight and check for ladders in the knitting
that is several rows away from the needle to get a more accurate
view of things!

Libbie

gargoylelib on Ravelry
gargoylelib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 07:38 AM   #4
MAmaDawn
Working the Gusset

I don't know if this will work the same or not because I have been doing it with double points, but I'm making a pair of booties that have purl rounds to make garter stitch and when I get to one I just make sure that I'm not switching to purl on a new needle.

I also pull it tight and make the stitches close kinda like dotty was saying with ML.

HTH maybe just a little...

Wife to GooB; Mom to Tori (7) and Belle (4) Jeremiah (2)

MamaDawn there too
My Little Shop
MAmaDawn is offline   Reply With Quote