Old 01-10-2008, 05:39 PM   #1
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

"Starter" Circular Needles
I'm just getting into knitting and still getting my feet wet -- no real projects yet, I'm only knitting little squares of different patterns from my pattern book.

I'm very intrigued by the idea of circular needles and being able to use them exclusively. Eventually, I will probably purchase the KnitPick interchangeable set, but in the meantime I thought I might try just one set of circular needles and see what I think.

I'm considering 24" ones, but I thought I should ask some experts first.

What do you think? I'm currently using 8" bamboo straight needles; I had some 16" acrylic ones and I didn't like them.

Thanks!
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-10-2008, 06:43 PM   #2
PCwombat
Knitting the Flap

For length, it depends on what you're thinking of making. If you're just going to knit flat on circular needles, then the cord length isn't too critical, and a 24" would be good. If you want to make something in the round, you have to make sure the circumference of what you are knitting is bigger than the length of the needles you are using. For hats, 16" circulars are what work, but even then once you start decreasing you either need to switch to DPNs or use two circulars, or do magic loop (Amy has videos of all these techniques).

For material of the needles, its all about preference, what you like to knit with. The only cords I've found that don't get twisted are my options. Otherwise, the twist is something I've just learned to deal with.
PCwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PCwombat For This Useful Post:
sakura-panda (01-11-2008)
Old 01-10-2008, 07:00 PM   #3
charliepw
Ribbing the Cuff

knitting hats on circular or dpn? help.
Hello
i am a newbie to knitting
(well i learnt ages ago but never really took it anywhere and this christmas my mum taught me again)
so i'm interested in knitting hats.
I just knitted the freebee 'apple hat' pattern which came out very cute but far too small, i didn't have dpn's and i wouldn't know what to do with them even if i did have them so i knitted it on size 5 straight needles flat and joined it up. (should have been size 6 or 7)
I created the stem bit, by knitting six stitches and then transferring them back to the other needle each time, so it was going in one direction and it kind of worked.

So, what would you suggest i buy next to continue knitting hats, dpn's or a circular one?

which is easier?

any info appreciated.

Charlie
charliepw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 08:12 AM   #4
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

Thanks for the comments.

I thought I would start with something relatively cheap -- maybe the same needles I use now but circular -- and see how it feels before I invest in those awesome looking Harmony interchangeables. (Although browsing this site and reading everyone's enthusiastic gushing makes it hard to resist them! )
Old 01-11-2008, 09:13 AM   #5
miccisue
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
Thanks for the comments.

I thought I would start with something relatively cheap -- maybe the same needles I use now but circular -- and see how it feels before I invest in those awesome looking Harmony interchangeables. (Although browsing this site and reading everyone's enthusiastic gushing makes it hard to resist them! )
Are you using Clover bamboo's? If so, their circulars are also really nice needles. Sometimes their cords can be pretty stiff after being curled up in the display packages, but several people on here have methods to fix that. I use Clover circs almost exclusively (sometimes use dpns, but have really gotten away from straight needles almost entirely), and really like them.
miccisue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to miccisue For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2008, 09:37 AM   #6
sue in canada
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,871 Times in 1,270 Posts
I second the Clover bamboo circs and straights. I use the Michaels 40% off coupons to buy them, which makes the cost very reasonable.
sue in canada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sue in canada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2008, 10:03 AM   #7
Sanibelle
Turning the Heel

I really like the Clover bamboo too.. and I always buy them with the 40% coupon at Michael's, They are usually $8.99 at my store so with the coupon they are only $5.40. I would get the 29 inch ones as they will be more suitable for most things you would want to use them for unless you plan on making hats in which case you would need the 16 inch.

Good luck!

Sanibelle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sanibelle For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2008, 10:18 AM   #8
dakatzmeow
Turning the Heel

if you get knitpicks classic circs, which are available individually, you will not regret it. i suggest starting out with 1 or 2 sizes you think you'll use a lot. for me, a 4 and a 7 would be ideal. it all depends on your personal knitting style/gauge. you will only spend a few dollars on each needle and you can get a good feel for what you are doing. as long as you are starting out, you might as well jump in with learning magic loop and/or knitting with 2 circs at the same time. in this case, get at least a 32" cable. doesn't cost much more, if at all, and you'll be able to do about anything. i don't use dpn's anymore at all. have a full bamboo set. should probably sell them except i use one on occasion for a cable needle.

married my beloved january 9, 2008!!!!! <3
dakatzmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dakatzmeow For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2008, 12:15 PM   #9
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
The 29" would be good to start on. They're not so long to be cumbersome for knitting scarves (you can use them like straights too), they'd be about right for sweaters, good for shawls or afghans. And long enough you can use the magic looop technique to make hats with.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2008, 05:23 PM   #10
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by miccisue View Post
Are you using Clover bamboo's?
Originally Posted by sue in canada View Post
I second the Clover bamboo circs and straights.
Originally Posted by Sanibelle View Post
I really like the Clover bamboo too.. and I always buy them with the 40% coupon at Michael's
I bought them at Michael's and I do think they are the Clover ones. My plan was to use the 40% off coupon -- I see that's a pretty good idea!

Thanks for the input; I'm glad to hear they are well-received. I'll dig through the threads to find the suggestions for uncoiling new ones.