Old 01-12-2008, 07:09 AM   #1
Marni
Knitting the Flap

Glitten Video KAL - Update 1/26
Oh, I hope I'm not biting off more than I can chew, but I've decided to do a video assist KAL. I'm going to need a new pair of gloves for my job and these will be just perfect cause it's really cold outside and well... I work outside. Plus I have a friend that's intimidated to knit them so I told her I'd keep her posted on my blog. Then one thing led to another...

These are the "Glittens" that Melinda (aka WildMountainHoney) was nice enough to post pictures of her fabulous and quite colorful pair. You can view her Glitten posting here. The pattern that Melinda used and that I'll be using can be found on the side bar on this blog. It'll be a great way to learn how to do this plus I'm hoping other knitters will join in and share some of their knowledge.

The Glitten Pattern is here and a pictorial page here.

Since I'm new to YouTube, I had all these videos seperated as different playlists. I now see that one playlist containing all the videos regarding knitting this glitten would work better and clean up my YT page. So all the videos can now be found at this address

Last edited by Marni : 02-14-2008 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Added videos through knitting on the fingers
Marni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marni For This Useful Post:
gargoylelib (01-21-2008), knittingymnast (01-27-2008)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-12-2008, 08:43 AM   #2
Debbie
Working the Gusset

How sweet for you to do this !!!!! Thank you!

I am DebbieKnits on Ravelery
Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 01:23 PM   #3
Marni
Knitting the Flap

When I look at this pattern it looks to me like the x's on the chart should be the secondary color, but the pattern says they are showing the MC. Does anyone know? This is the first time I'm reading from somebody else's chart.

The pattern I'm using for the front of my glitten is this:

Last edited by Marni : 01-22-2008 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Figured out weaving :)
Old 01-12-2008, 02:00 PM   #4
momwolf
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,135 Times in 706 Posts
The chart (A)doesn't even look like the finished mitten,looks like total different pattern to me.

momwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 03:43 PM   #5
Marni
Knitting the Flap

If you look at Melinda's (WildMountainHoney) post it looks like she used the pattern. Granted she used a self striping yarn but it still looks like the x's are the 2nd color rather than the main color. Anywho... I'm just doing work mitts so it doesn't matter that much.

Are you gonna help me figure this out?
Old 01-12-2008, 04:25 PM   #6
Marni
Knitting the Flap

Monologue
OH OH OH! I think I was doing the weaving wrong. Something didn't quite look right on the inside so I carefully watched that video again on weaving and think I got it. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong....

Basically it's when knitting more than 2 stitches from the right hand more than two stitches the first stitch is regular then it alternates with the woven stitch. I'm still not sure if it's 2 plus more or just more than 2, but I'll keep an eye on those stitches in the back and see if one makes more sense than the other.

For the LEFT hand anything more than 1 stitch needs to be a "pretend stitch" but again the first stitch on the left hand is a regular stitch. I was doing them all as "pretend" stitches.

You'll have to watch the video link above to know what a pretend stitch and woven stitch are. Are there actually real names for those stitch maneuvers?

Ok, I just frogged back to my life line and I'm going to start again with the color change. See, now you know why I put that in there?
Old 01-13-2008, 08:51 AM   #7
KathD
Ribbing the Cuff

Marni,
I am interested in this but I already have too may WIP I'll be reading along preparing for the day my needles are empty--at least one pair

FO:
Palindrome in Andean Silk slate
OTN: Calorimetry for three friends "girls gotta get away"
More FT Clogs
Norwegian style baby sweater with steeks
Hibernating:
Marin from Berroco, using denim silk from my stash!!
Branching Out w/supercashmere(yum)

I'm KathD on Ravelry
KathD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 02:08 PM   #8
Marni
Knitting the Flap

Though I doubt anyone just jumped in there with needles, yarn and project idea in hand awaiting how to do this; BUT if there's an interest I am in the process of uploading video 6 which shows the thumb gusset increase on row 7 using M1R (or M1B as Amy likes to call it) and a M1L (or M1F per Amy again) rather than K1F&B as calls for in the instructions. Using k1F&B didn't look right with the color change at that point too.

Obviously there are great videos here which show exactly the same thing I'm doing, but they don't have the color change dilemma that this pattern introduces.

I have to leave (37% uploaded), but it should be easy enough to find the video without the direct link.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:37 AM   #9
Marni
Knitting the Flap

These are looking kind of fuggly!
So the glittens are getting there. It has been a bit of trial and error for me, but I think after 1566 stitches I have the weave thing down pat! yeah.

Oh... so anyway, I'm about to start row 30 and so far the glittens 1) less than perfect 2) a little big but they are wool so I can shrink them a tad and 3) kinda fuggly. But these are turning out to be a great practice pair and I'll get good use out of them.

I'm up to video 9, but the first 4 don't really count.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:37 PM   #10
Marni
Knitting the Flap

WIP
My glitten is still in progress! Yes, I've learned that when doing woven fair isle that the yarn being woven needs to be held much taunter than I have done on this first mitten. Funny how they didn't really start popping through to the front until much later. The part where the UPS is though is very nicely done I guess it having more of the contrasting sts in a row helped me to keep them tighter. Here's what I have so far...

Last edited by Marni : 01-22-2008 at 07:05 PM.