Old 01-12-2008, 08:05 PM   #1
cdjack
Turning the Heel

Ball Gown "rules"
My dh and I have to go to a ball next month. Yes, I said "have to". Neither of us want to go, but we have to go because it is work related (for him, not me). I don't like dressing up very much. My wedding dress was a batik sundress purchased on sale at J.Crew if that helps any...
Anyway, I don't know what is considered a "ball gown". Does it have to be long?

Courtney
cdjack is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-12-2008, 09:37 PM   #2
cheesiesmom
Turning the Heel

In our area they have formal rental places (not just men's tuxs'). If you don't want to buy, could you rent? Also a simple long satiny skirt and a fancy top would be comfortable and simple. Remember when sharon stone wore the ball gown skirt and the Gap shirt to the Oscars? It might work for you!?
cheesiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 09:42 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
I think traditionally ball gowns were long, but times change. Is there some else that has been that you can ask? One of DH's coworkers wives or something?

I just looked on Google images for ball gown. Yikes.. I don't like to dress up either so I know how you feel!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 09:51 PM   #4
cdjack
Turning the Heel

I found a dress that I like. Well, at least I like the dress style, but I'm not sure about the price.
http://www.jcrew.com/catalog/product...orName=BLACK//
But, I just don't know about the length.
The only other wife that I know that is going already bought her dress and it is to the floor.

Courtney
Old 01-12-2008, 10:24 PM   #5
vaknitter
Working the Gusset

In my opinion Ball gowns would need to be to the floor - My parents always went to the Navy Ball and every year my mom fussed about having to find another floor length gown.
The dress you picked at JCrew is really nice, but seems like more of a cocktail dress to me. J Crew sells the Sophia which comes in a long style...
http://www.jcrew.com/catalog/product...atId=cat280170
you could dress it up with a fancy brouche and a pashmina and cheap bling shoes. I almost bought this dress for a black tie wedding we have to go to, but ultimately I didn't want black and don't really look all the great in brown. The price is unfortunately about average for gowns right now - but hey, people seem to list them on e-bay with success.
vaknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 08:33 AM   #6
Nobones
Turning the Heel

Send a message via MSN to Nobones
Did someone say 'Ball gown'?!! I'd LOVE to go somewhere and dress up, but we're all different.

Speaking with my seamstress hat on, the gown you've linked to would be classed as a 'Cocktail' dress, Ball Gowns are usual floor length. If you do want something knee length I'd recommend putting a full petticoat underneath to fill it out a bit.

I like the idea of renting a dress, that way the dress get used again and doesn't gather dust in a wardrobe.

Good luck at the ball.

My dress & costume making website-
www.gothwardian.co.uk

'Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work'. -Aristotle

Nobones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 10:25 AM   #7
stitchwitch
Working the Gusset

I'd be all over that ball gown search if I was invited. I love balls and the dresses! I have a few nice gowns, sadly I haven't been to a formal gathering in years though so I doubt they even fit anymore.
Have fun, you'll look great!
Old 01-13-2008, 10:59 AM   #8
cdjack
Turning the Heel

thanks for your replies, ladies. I knew that the dress I chose from J.Crew probably wasn't dressy enough, but I was hoping that I was wrong.
I just don't like long dresses. On me, that is.
Anyway, my cousin and I are going to Macy's and Nordstrom's today to look for the dreaded ball gown.
I'll keep y'all posted.

Courtney
Old 01-13-2008, 11:58 AM   #9
GinnyG
Instepping Out

I think now a days you have the freedom to do pretty much what ever you want when it comes to "formal". Unless it's an affair of State a dressy short dress should be acceptable at most "black tie" events.

If I didn't like long dresses and didn't think I'd wear it again, I wouldn't buy one!!! I think the dress you selected from JCrew is lovely, paired with a drop dead pair of shoes and the right jewlry I'd call you "ball ready".
GinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 02:01 PM   #10
Lucy78green
Turning the Heel

Send a message via ICQ to Lucy78green Send a message via MSN to Lucy78green
I have two formal dresses sitting in my wardrobe for ten years that were worn once. I didn't want to throw them out, but its very expensive to buy a dress you'll only wear once! I would look on e-bay, I've seen some bargains on there, or else hire it - you don't have to like it if you can give it back!
Lucy78green is offline   Reply With Quote