Old 01-13-2008, 10:51 PM   #1
knitmama
Ribbing the Cuff

My husband wanted to knit
So I decided to show him how. It took me forever to show him how to cast on, because he wouldn't let me show him. He wanted me to talk him through it with no demonstration. Once we finally got through that and were ready to knit, he once a again would not let me show him. After nearly 2 hours, he completed his first row of knitting, and declared that I was a genius for being able to do this and find it fun. He then set aside his little project. Apparently he's going to work on it "later". I'm not allowed to reclaim my yarn or needles until he conquers them.

OTN: Gail (aka Nightsongs), Basic Ribbed socks
FO: Dream in Color Shrug, Interlocking Leaves socks, Star-crossed Slouchy Beret

knitmama is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-13-2008, 11:08 PM   #2
kaytee
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to kaytee
How cute, at least he tried.

kaytee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 01:27 AM   #3
Rhea
1st Leg of the Journey

I loved teaching my boyfriend to knit. He had a lot more respect for it after he tried...haha

My DB bought me knitpicks options! He's a keeper for sure!

OTN:
Holly, from InterweaveKnits spring 2008
My very first sweater!
::
Rhea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 02:42 AM   #4
Sandi
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via MSN to Sandi
I hope the needles and yarn he used are not near and dear to your heart. It may be awhile before he picks it up again.
But I have to give him credit for trying. Now hopefully he knows that it takes some work and effort......
Always a pair of Socks!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 04:29 AM   #5
Debkcs
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,192 Posts
My DH paints these little tiny miniatures for Civil War and WWII gaming. He says knitting looks 'tedious'. The amazing thing to me is that although he is legally blind, he can still paint these 54mm and 36 mm figures as well as when he had much better eyesight.

Congratulations on getting yours to pick up sticks and string!

"All good things and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of Lights who cannot change."
James 1:17
Debkcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:33 AM   #6
babsnelson
1st Leg of the Journey

You can't have your needles back until he finishes?? I think that is a great reason to buy some new Harmony's!!!

OTN - Another Market Bag, Patons Must Have Cardigan, Monkey Socks

Next up - Summer sweater for me, Socks for Sis, and anything else I decide I can't live without!

FO's for 2008: Branching out Scarf, 2 pair Fuzzy Feet, Market bags - lots!, felted purse, yarn holder, Little Cables hat for Nate, Bell-lace Socks, Baby Cardigan and booties, 3 pair of mittens

My Blog

babsnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:19 AM   #7
Plantgoddess+
Working the Gusset

How great that he is even willing to try. I think it's worth the temporary loss of a pair of needles and some yarn. He may even surprise you and talk himself into conquering the art and make something.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:54 PM   #8
marlajap
1st Leg of the Journey

DH and I were just talking about this last night, while chatting with another couple (she is also a beginner knitter)...

His comment was something to the effect that it truly amazes him what I can produce using two little sticks and a ball of yarn, and he loves that I knit for him and others, but he doesn't have any interest at all in trying it himself. I rather think that's a good thing, he just doesn't have the patience for it.

So, while I don't have a prayer of turning hubby into a good knitting buddy, at least he respects what I'm doing. Of course, I'm not at the stash-building stage yet, nor have I spent a whole lot of money per skein or per project so far, either. His attitude could change completely once larger quantities of yarn start moving into the house...at which point, I will steer him into his garage and ask him what his plans are for the zillions of different tools out there that each get touched just once in a while.
blogging at http://knitvspurl.wordpress.com
marlajap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 03:42 PM   #9
bip
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by knitmama View Post
He wanted me to talk him through it with no demonstration.
Lol, that must have been like describing a prom dress

How fun though, I wish DH would let me teach him. I promised I'd learn to fly cast, but he doesn't trust me to make good on that promise.
bip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 04:59 PM   #10
sinistral_needler
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to sinistral_needler
Originally Posted by knitmama View Post
...he wouldn't let me show him. He wanted me to talk him through it with no demonstration.....
It is charming that your husband has taken an interest in knitting. However, one of my biggest, hugest, most irritating pet peeves is when people only let you TELL them how to do something instead of letting you SHOW them. It is so much easier to get a visual description of what you are doing, nut just a verbal description. I would have thought that a guy would appreciate that!

"Do whatever {Jesus} tells you to." ~ John 2:5
OTN: Nashua simple ribbed scarf, Seeded Cable Cardigan for Mom, washcloths, Rainy Day Scarf
OTH: baby bobble afghan, shells afghan
sinistral_needler is offline   Reply With Quote