Old 01-11-2008, 02:15 AM   #1
treehugger14
Ribbing the Cuff

It seems like....
okay, from what i have seen, it looks as if all of your fingerless gloves aer actually just mittens without the top part...Why? I mean, when i made my fingerless gloves, they actually had 5 fingers. i never finished it but i got two of the fingers done...tisn't that hard, so how come i never saw any one else? sry, not trying to be mean, if it sounded mean, i'm just curious.

I say, "First of all, tis not a waste of time. Second, I do it because I can. Can you knit?"

treehugger14 on ravelry!!!!
www.twilightfansunite.forumotion.com
treehugger14 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-11-2008, 02:55 AM   #2
jdee
Working the Gusset

The topless mittens I knitted last, were like that in the pattern. Though, I must admit that the reason I keep knitting by these patterns may be due to a little laziness on my part. All those little fingers just seem so tedius, and I'm an instant gratification type of gal.

I have, however, found a pattern I want to try next, and it has the finger stubs in it. I hope my patience holds out.

Visit my blog at www.jdeeannsblog@blogspot.com
Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew as steadfast spirit within me. Psalm 51:10
jdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 03:10 AM   #3
Quiara
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to Quiara Send a message via Yahoo to Quiara
Originally Posted by treehugger14 View Post
okay, from what i have seen, it looks as if all of your fingerless gloves aer actually just mittens without the top part...Why? I mean, when i made my fingerless gloves, they actually had 5 fingers. i never finished it but i got two of the fingers done...tisn't that hard, so how come i never saw any one else? sry, not trying to be mean, if it sounded mean, i'm just curious.
It really depends on what you want/need. I've done it both ways. Some people want the partial finger, some people don't. Personally, I don't like it so the ones I make for me never have them. But I've made others for others that did. *shrug* Just a personal preference, more than likely. There are a lot of patterns out there both ways.

Find me on as Quiara. ^_^
Quiara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 03:54 AM   #4
starburst
Knitting the Flap

I always thought of fingerless gloves as having the little tubes for each of the fingers, but no finger tips, the other ones are arm socks
Old 01-11-2008, 04:02 AM   #5
Quiara
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to Quiara Send a message via Yahoo to Quiara
I think of them as arm-socks unless they have a thumb gusset - then I think of them as fingerless mitts. And if they have the half-fingers, then they're fingerless gloves.

Find me on as Quiara. ^_^
Quiara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 08:38 AM   #6
Debbie
Working the Gusset

I am just lazy! I made several that were a rectangle folded in half, mattress stitch two inches down, skip 1-1/2 inch for the thumb hole, mattress to the end of the cuff. It is a great way to swatch a new stitch or practice one you are going to use in a project just add some ribbing at the top and bottom ... and everyone I have given them to loves them!!!

I am DebbieKnits on Ravelery
Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 11:03 AM   #7
Jaxhil
Working the Gusset

I love fingerless mitts-but I think they're more like wrist-warmers since the ones I've made for the most part didn't even have thumbs, just a slit for your thumb!

I like them partly because I want them done quick (I tend to procrastinate gifts, hence the rush ), and partly because I am just plain chicken. All those little half fingers look really hard!
Old 01-11-2008, 11:17 AM   #8
willowangel
Knitting the Flap

The ones I've made for me have mostly had no fingers, just because I've used quite chunky yarn and to make fingers out of it would splay my hands, and that would hurt. When I make some using finer yarns, I make fingers to go with them. Hand warmers and fingerless gloves are my version of socks - I make them all the time and love all the different designs - but I use them to show off yarns, more often than not.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:25 AM   #9
Mirl56
Instepping Out

I like them with out fingers casue mostly I'm too lazy to knit all those little half-fingers. I'd make gloves if I wanted to deal with all those little finger-things!! I do, however, like to get the thumb started - I don't care for the ones that just have a slip for your thumb to stick out of.

Mirl56 at Ravelry, too.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You canít live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt

OTN:
Lady Feb Sweater
more shawlettes, socks
Mirl56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 12:00 PM   #10
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,796 Times in 7,157 Posts
They are faster to make for one thing and another is that you don't have to worry about fit quite so much. I made fingerless mitts for my daughters for Christmas.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote