Old 01-14-2008, 11:35 AM   #1
Denni
Casting On

Lionbrand Homespun Fringe
I've knitted a few things with the Homespun yarn that calls for fringe. I don't care for the way the Homespun seems to fray. I know I can knot the ends or dip in a no-fray glue but I'm also told that some people think the unraveling adds to the beauty of the fringe. I'm just curious as to what everybody's preference is.
Denni is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-14-2008, 12:04 PM   #2
sinistral_needler
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to sinistral_needler
I did one scarf with homespun w/a fringe and I hated it. It frayed but the fibers also came apart which made for a mess whenever I wore it. It was like pet hair that stuck to your clothes. I wouldn't recommend it!

"Do whatever {Jesus} tells you to." ~ John 2:5
OTN: Nashua simple ribbed scarf, Seeded Cable Cardigan for Mom, washcloths, Rainy Day Scarf
OTH: baby bobble afghan, shells afghan
sinistral_needler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:06 PM   #3
Plantgoddess+
Working the Gusset

I find I'm not a fringe person. I did make afghans with fringe and now wish I hadn't and I don't care for the fringe on a commercially made scarf I have either. I think it's a personal preference.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:00 PM   #4
jhelanee
Turning the Heel

I can't completely remember, but I think on the couple Homespun scarves I put fringe on I went through and tied a knot at the end of each strand after they were attached. It was tedious, but with the texture of the yard they didn't really show on the finished scarf. I do not recommend just leaving the fringe ends unfinished - as a previous poster mentioned the yarn frays badly, sheds and quickly looks very bad. Good luck!

Recently finished: DH's small-gauge sweater; Secret of the Stole ii - "Savannah"; BSJ (well the knitting anyway)
On Needles: socks; Odessa (from Magknits)

jhelanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 01:18 PM   #5
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
Mom made me a scarf last year from homespun and fringed it...she could tell that it was going to fray bad so she put clear finger nail polish on the ends...it hasn't frayed at all...

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 01:25 PM   #6
cheesiesmom
Turning the Heel

I crocheted it. Just a chain stitch (about 10 or 15 depending on size of hook), attached to the knit stitches.
cheesiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 06:23 PM   #7
babsnelson
1st Leg of the Journey

I'm not a fan of fringe using Homespun myself. But I like the crocheting idea. I might try that.

OTN - Another Market Bag, Patons Must Have Cardigan, Monkey Socks

Next up - Summer sweater for me, Socks for Sis, and anything else I decide I can't live without!

FO's for 2008: Branching out Scarf, 2 pair Fuzzy Feet, Market bags - lots!, felted purse, yarn holder, Little Cables hat for Nate, Bell-lace Socks, Baby Cardigan and booties, 3 pair of mittens

My Blog

babsnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 06:06 AM   #8
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
Ditto!

My lapghans are a mess. Fringe nightmare.
I use them only in our trailer on vacation.

Homespun also PILLS like crazy.

Too bad...cuz it starts out as such a lovely looking yarn!

Pills that look like bugs!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 06:48 AM   #9
gamerchik
Knitting the Flap

I've made one scarf and two throw blankets with Homespun and I fringed all three projects (I knotted the end of each piece of fringe). I guess I just prefer fringe to no-fringe, lol.

After that last throw blanket, though, I pretty much hate Homespun. I kept finding tangles in the middle of the skeins and had to cut the yarn. It was sooo frustrating!

I have a bag of it in different colors and now I'm not sure what to do with it, lol. :D
Old 01-16-2008, 11:15 AM   #10
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

I made a twin sized blanket for my niece out of Homespun and her mom tells me that she loves it and that it washes well. I haven't heard anything about pilling, but it did unravel once and she reknotted the end and didn't have any more trouble. (No fringes though.)

I'm currently making a smaller thow out of the yarn I had left over (and I'm on the last skein but only half done! How did I manage to miscalculate twice?) and I haven't had any problems with it yet. However, I am crocheting it, not knitting it, and maybe that makes a difference as far as working with it? I love working with it!

This has been an interesting thread and I will have to be sure to ask my sister-in-law if they are still using that afghan. (It was my first -- and only -- that I ever finished. I've always been embarrassed to ask about it because I've been afraid it wouldn't hold up. I almost died when she told me she had to retie it!)
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote