Old 01-14-2008, 11:20 PM   #1
Secksiebrat
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Secksiebrat
Bedroom colors! (knitting related)
OK I'm going to knit an afghan for a friend who's getting married in May. I don't know her bedroom colors because her hubby will be shipped overseas for 18 months right after the wedding. But I thought I might knit her a blanket to match her room. Any ideas on some pretty common colors people use in their rooms?

Mine are blue's and greens.

I'm just curious, so humor me and help me out

~danielle~

Secksiebrat is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-14-2008, 11:28 PM   #2
Jens
1st Leg of the Journey

Why not just ask her?
Jens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:32 PM   #3
Secksiebrat
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Secksiebrat
I wanted it to be a surprise, but I may have to in the end!

~danielle~

Secksiebrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:48 PM   #4
get_her_donne

If you don't want to ask her the colors, or find out from family or friends, I'd stick with white! It matches everything, and it's a wedding sort of color
Old 01-15-2008, 12:03 AM   #5
Chikky
1st Leg of the Journey

I bet you can just randomly bring it up in conversation. Like, 'So, what do you plan on for your bedroom? I love decorating!' Or 'Since DH will be away and you've got free reign, what are you gonna surpise him with?'

Or something along those lines.
"It's a rare man who is taken for what he truly is," he said. "There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so must I be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Chikky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 12:20 AM   #6
HollyP
Working the Gusset

Mine is a soft buttery yellow.

Are they registered? Most people register for things like comforters , sheets, etc for the master bedroom. You might be able to find out what colors would work by checking their registry.

Southeast Baby Oddball Blog
HollyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 12:31 AM   #7
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
If she doesn't have something on the registry and you can't ask secretly or don't want to I'd stick to neutrals. there are some beautiful shades of creams and brown yarns. You wouldn't want to make a blanket of blues and greens and then find out her bedroom has no blue in it.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 02:57 AM   #8
cam90066
Working the Gusset

Does she tend to wear certain colors? Some ppl decorate in the same colors they wear. (I've always worn strong reds, greens and those are my dominant decor colors.) Might give you a hint as to a possible direction until you can get a better feel from sleuthing out the info in other ways. If all else fails, I agree that neutrals, esp a gorgeous cream, can't fail.

cam
Old 01-15-2008, 04:12 AM   #9
iwouldratherbeknitting
Turning the Heel

I got the impression that her husband won't be living in the same place for 18 months-- after they marriage.. of course, I could be wrong on what I read in your message.
BUT, if she is going overseas w/ him.. just know that I have lived overseas in apartments and houses rented by the us govt.. (military) and the walls are ALWAYS WHITE.. WHITE.. and WHITE..

So, you won't have to worry about the color of her walls- but, I would do it the same way that others have suggested. IF you've been to her house/apartment or look at her clothing- you can tell which colors are MISSING in her house.. along with what colors she favors.. for instance..
I do not own an orange piece of clothing nor is anything in my home ORANGE.. not that there is anything wrong w/ it-- I just like it only in fruits and vegetables. :D Ok, maybe a cheeto here and there.

So, even if she is going to live somewhere else-- surely you've been in her house at some point?- and have seen the colors that she uses/likes?

And, there's nothing wrong w/ asking if they have picked out new bed linens/etc... in an off-hand way.. She'd have no idea that you wanted to make her an afghan by your questions.
Updated almost daily.. honest!
I'm moving to Germany this summer! My name on Ravelry is: iwouldratherknit
iwouldratherbeknitting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 07:33 AM   #10
Jaxhil
Working the Gusset

I agree with Chikky-I am sure you could find a way to ask without her guessing what you're up to! I bet you could even offer to help "set up" the new house; since her new DH will be away I'm sure she'd appreciate the company and help! Then you could get an inside look so to speak and have a better idea of what color to go with.

If nothing else, go with a neutral, like Jan said-a nice cream or warm soft brown-silvery gray even? I think checking out her favorite wardrobe colors is a good idea, too.

Boy, I'm a big help Well anyway, I am sure no matter what yarn you use, she (and he) will LOVE it!