Old 01-24-2008, 11:29 AM   #21
YarnKitten
Ribbing the Cuff

Hey, another Maritime knitter. I'm down in southern New Brunswick with our ... odd weather this year. Huge snowstorms one day and now the snow is melting like CRAZY off all the buildings. Fun fun.

YarnKitten is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-24-2008, 12:41 PM   #22
Darcia
1st Leg of the Journey

Hello from across the bridge. YarnKitten!
Yes, the snow here is crazy too. I think we ave had four BIG storms now.
Darcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:22 PM   #23
Dangles
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Dangles Send a message via Yahoo to Dangles
knitqueen: The Island is so beautiful. We've friends that reside in Colwood. You can see the bay from their place.

to all you Albertans, I sympathise with you about the brown ... my ILs live in Edmonton... we usually go up every Christmas. We did not go up this year though ... too much of a hassle with two toddlers. Perhaps we'll drive up in the summer.

Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:00 PM   #24
knitspin2001
Ribbing the Cuff

Hello from Langley BC (a burb of Vancouver) where this morning we have 15cm of snow and the ground and it's officially a "snow day" so I am catching up on some forum reading! I am originally from Toronto (where they believe in snow plows and road salt!!).

Just came back from Victoria this weekend where a LYS was hosting Sally Melville workshops. I have taken most of them when I lived in TO but really wanted to hear her creativity talk again (and I am really very glad I went and did hear it again, very inspiring!!).

Marilyn
knitspin2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 03:30 PM   #25
alleusion
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by knitspin2001 View Post
I am originally from Toronto (where they believe in snow plows and road salt!!).

I have to giggle over this....after I came back from dropping DH off this morning, there was a salt truck going down my road. Keep in mind there is NO SNOW on the roads right now. It's not even supposed to snow here for another day or so. We have minimal snow in pockets on the sidewalks and under bushes and trees, but nothing on the road....and yet, there was the salt truck, plodding along dropping salt all over the road. I actually considered getting a shovel and using it on my driveway for the next time it snows.

...I can't have too many projects, I still have empty needles...

alleusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 06:20 PM   #26
The.Knitter
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by alleusion View Post
I have to giggle over this....after I came back from dropping DH off this morning, there was a salt truck going down my road. Keep in mind there is NO SNOW on the roads right now. It's not even supposed to snow here for another day or so. We have minimal snow in pockets on the sidewalks and under bushes and trees, but nothing on the road....and yet, there was the salt truck, plodding along dropping salt all over the road. I actually considered getting a shovel and using it on my driveway for the next time it snows.
They have to use up our tax dollars somewhere. Hazel (the mayor) won't let them sit on their behinds and get paid for it. Out they come and salt the roads so the melted snow does not freeze overnight. Silly city workers (but I guess they are only following orders from higher places)!!! Actually, I think you live in a condo complex, so it has nothing to do with the city, it's the condo management you have to blame for that stunt. Welcome to Global Warming in the "great white north".

Find our "Canadian Oddball Blanket KAL" on Ravelry as: OddballBlankets

The.Knitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 01:19 AM   #27
gingergal4l8r
1st Leg of the Journey

Well hello to all my fellow Canucks....

Vancouver Island is where I am at....

Cheers to all

"Create memories worth repeating"

OTN:

Lace and Cable Afghan
Cropped Vest

gingergal4l8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 12:55 PM   #28
knitspin2001
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by The.Knitter View Post
They have to use up our tax dollars somewhere. Hazel (the mayor) won't let them sit on their behinds and get paid for it. Out they come and salt the roads so the melted snow does not freeze overnight. Silly city workers (but I guess they are only following orders from higher places)!!! Actually, I think you live in a condo complex, so it has nothing to do with the city, it's the condo management you have to blame for that stunt. Welcome to Global Warming in the "great white north".
And we have a salt shortage out here so they are now mixing in sand!! Complaints already that sand makes more spring-time mess to cleanup Isn't that what good ol' BC rain is supposed to do?
We had 3cm, yup, 3cm here in Langley on Tuesday morning and it was chaos--hills were not salted and I saw 4 cars in the ditch on 1 major hill and it took 10 minutes for the bus I was on to get down that hill (a bus that was 40 minutes late on a 30 minute run!!). Actually, unfortunately there was a truck driver killed that morning not far from that hill because of road conditions (wet slusy stuff that turns to ice quickly) and 50 students at a local university had to sleep on mats in the gym because of road conditions. And to think in exactly 2 years time we are hosting the Olympics out here. They can't move people on a daily basis, how on earth are they going to manage then (better ship us some of that extra Mississauga salt me thinks )

Marilyn
knitspin2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 11:28 PM   #29
alleusion
Turning the Heel

DH and I went waddling tonight and there was one section of the road that had a ton of salt dumped on it. I joked with him that we should scoop it up and use on our driveway.

...I can't have too many projects, I still have empty needles...

alleusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 11:21 AM   #30
bearlady
Casting On

Send a message via MSN to bearlady
Hello from Nova Scotia
I'ts great to meet other knitters. I'm in Dartmouth Nova Scotia. Any other Bluenosers out there?

I've stayed home with my kids too. They are growing up and getting independant but still look for Mom at home when they step through the door.

I don't get to knit as much as I would like as I work from home but have managed to get some socks done in the evenings when I didn't have to work.
bearlady is offline   Reply With Quote