Old 01-17-2008, 08:02 PM   #1
angel4ever

So frustrated
I'm sorry, but I really need to vent right now....

I've been teaching for a few years now and I really enjoy. I have come across some children and parents who were challenging and it has not bothered me so much as it does today.

I care about what goes on with my students when they leave my classroom. Some of them come from unstable homes and other situations that are really heartbreaking, you know. Other students come from "normal" homes and that's fine too.

What gets me so annoyed is when I am trying to help children who sincerely need some sort of intervention or services for whatever reason (being emotional, pyschological, behavioral, or whatever) and the parent/guardian blames everyone else (especially the teacher)for the child's issues/problems. How is this child going to grow up and take responsibility for what he/she does if the parent is a master of blaming others. It just gets me sooooo mad and angry sometimes. If it wasn't for the fact that I love to teach, I think I would have given up on this profession long ago. I mean it's a known fact that most teachers with less than five years of experience leave the field because of lack of support from supervisors/administration, or general frustration with the students & their parents.

Again, I'm sorry to bring this here, but I really needed to get it off my chest....thanks for listening...
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Gertie (01-17-2008)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-17-2008, 08:30 PM   #2
momwolf
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,136 Times in 707 Posts
PLEASE don't give up,We need caring teachers like you in our system.I worked as a classroom assistant for 8 years (grade 1) and know how hard it is when parents won't do what is best for the child.We had many problem children in our classroomswear at you ,Hit you ,set their homes on fire,You name we had it.Parents just don't get it.It should be LAW that every parent should spend a certain number of hours in the classroom to see just how their child acts in school.But of course most don't give a sh#t anyway.The kids are out of there hair for the day.All you can do is try and intervene and sometimes it works and sometime it doesn't.But remember there are children out there that will remember you and thank you some day for what you did.
So VENT all you want I HEAR YA

momwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to momwolf For This Useful Post:
angel4ever (01-17-2008)
Old 01-17-2008, 08:39 PM   #3
momwolf
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,136 Times in 707 Posts
Oh i forgot here's a

momwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to momwolf For This Useful Post:
angel4ever (01-17-2008)
Old 01-17-2008, 08:44 PM   #4
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts

I'm finishing up my degree so I can go into the teaching field, so I hear you. I have two teenagers who, I know, would not be the students they are without my husband and I being so involved and interested. It's so sad to me to see other children who don't have people in their lives who cares what happens in their classes.

Thanks for being interested and involved in your students' lives. I've seen teachers who don't care (hard to believe, but true).

Hang in there!

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to auburnchick For This Useful Post:
angel4ever (01-17-2008)
Old 01-17-2008, 08:52 PM   #5
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
And people wonder why I quit teaching.

Vent away, we all need that sometimes.

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knitting_Guy For This Useful Post:
angel4ever (01-17-2008)
Old 01-17-2008, 09:28 PM   #6
Gertie
Knitting the Flap

I've always been an involved parent. My youngest is a senior in HS now. I've seen (in public & private schools) the impact that good and not-so-good teachers have made in my two children.

Thank you for being a loving, concerned, involved teacher.

You will surely never know the impact you're making in your students lives, but it is there.

All schools need more like you.

God bless.

BTW - A teacher neighbor of mine had a bumper sticker that read, "If you can read this, thank a teacher." Maybe you should make it your signature.
Gertie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gertie For This Useful Post:
angel4ever (01-17-2008)
Old 01-17-2008, 09:37 PM   #7
angel4ever

Thanks everyone for your support and kindness. I appreciate the fact that there are people who do respect the job that teachers do on a daily basis.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:43 PM   #8
mks22300
Instepping Out

Send a message via MSN to mks22300
I so know where you're coming from!

I'm mks22300 at ravelry
mks22300 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mks22300 For This Useful Post:
angel4ever (01-20-2008)
Old 01-17-2008, 10:45 PM   #9
saracidaltendencies
Working the Gusset

Thanked 1,090 Times in 608 Posts
Though I do not teach, it irritates me to no end that there are so many parents that refuse to accept responsibility for their child/ren! They would rather blame schools or television, or video games than face the fact they are lacking, as a parent. I don't know if some people realize the importance of being actively involved in their child's life. It just baffles me when people have kids but don't want the responsibility of having kids.

It is so good to know that you are a truly caring teacher...Kids do remember that. I know there are a few teachers I've had in my life that I'll never forget.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
- Mahatma Gandhi
saracidaltendencies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to saracidaltendencies For This Useful Post:
angel4ever (01-20-2008)
Old 01-17-2008, 10:58 PM   #10
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
I work with troubled kids, and I have to say that there are parents who have bent over backwards to try to keep their kids on the right path, and there are others who've taught their kids through their actions/non actions.

I do know that the kids, no matter how awful, do appreciate the consistence and caring of the staff they spend much of their time with. All my students have been diagnosed with some sort of psychiatric/emotional/behavioral problems, and even though they may not behave well in school at all, I know that they appreciate the time I spend being there everyday, talking to them like they're normal human beings, and being willing to joke with them and have their jokes appreciated.

So even though there are limits to what you can do to help a lot of these kids outside the classroom--remember that just seeing you smile when they walk into the class every day makes a HUGE difference in their childhood. (Even when you want to crawl under the desk because they showed up. )

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ingrid For This Useful Post:
angel4ever (01-20-2008)