Old 01-18-2008, 03:53 PM   #1
SouthDakotaNana
Casting On

How should one start a new skein of yarn
This maybe is a silly question...but I have the worst time trying to decide how to start a new skein of yarn. I always end up with twisted yarn. The skein that I started last night is Knit Picks Palette and I started it from the outside of the skein (the previous skein was started from the center and I had the same problem) and I am having twists already. Is there information somewhere that tells one how they should start a new skein? Or should I be winding the skeins into balls before starting a project to eliminate the twisting? I think I read on an earlier post that if the yarn was in a hank it should be balled and if it was in a skein many knitters knit from the skein...any suggestions would be most welcomed.

thanks much.
SouthDakotaNana is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-18-2008, 03:58 PM   #2
cristeen
1st Leg of the Journey

The extra twist is generally from your knitting, and has nothing to do with where you're pulling the yarn from. Most people will turn their work in the same direction at the end of each row, after several rows, your working yarn will have that extra twist in it.

I know a couple people keep their working yarn in a bowl sitting on a lazy susan. Most of us just periodically untwist our work as we go along.
cristeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 07:47 PM   #3
SouthDakotaNana
Casting On

Thanks Cristeen...I'll give that a try.
SouthDakotaNana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 11:01 AM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I worked with palette and didn't have a problem with it twisting, though I have on other yarns. If any yarn does, you can just let the skein dangle and it will untwist, or let your work dange and untwist.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote