Old 01-21-2008, 11:54 PM   #11
katiebug081504
1st Leg of the Journey

I called home today and my dad answered. When I asked for my mom he said "You don't want to talk to me?" We talked for awhile and the subject never came up..although I did try desperately to avoid it. I talked to him about opening my etsy store and he said he was proud of me, so maybe he isn't as mad as I thought?
-----------------------
-On the Needles:
1. Simply Ginny Socks (1 complete)
2. Classic Wool Socks (1 complete)
3. Stag Bag (on the back...don't want to do the st st)
4. Five Easy Cables Blanket (1 of 8 skeins used)
-On the Hook:
1. Mantilla Lace Doily (I forgot where I am on this)
katiebug081504 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-21-2008, 11:59 PM   #12
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
Originally Posted by katiebug081504 View Post
I called home today and my dad answered. When I asked for my mom he said "You don't want to talk to me?" We talked for awhile and the subject never came up..although I did try desperately to avoid it. I talked to him about opening my etsy store and he said he was proud of me, so maybe he isn't as mad as I thought?

I'm so glad!

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:32 AM   #13
The.Knitter
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,187 Posts
Perhaps your Dad is suffering from "empty nest syndrome". It's hard on parents when their "children" all of a sudden are adults and don't rely on them any more for everything in life. The "little people" that used to be our every waking thought, and around which our every decision centered, are grown and gone to lives of their own and have left an empty hole in our lives that is often times quite hard to fill.

Perhaps your Dad's problem with your sister is that he feels he was not involved in her decision and/or no longer feels very involved in her life? Perhaps he seemed upset with you because he feared he would no longer feel he was very involved in your life as well? Perhaps he fears he will loose you both. Perhaps he is lonely for the "good old days" of noise and laughter and phones ringing and typical kid noises, people dropping in to visit and siblings squabbling, and all the things that until recently made his home a home instead of just a house.

Sometimes it's hard to let go, and the habits of a lifetime are hard to change in just a few weeks or months!

As the song says....

Where are you going my little one, pretty one?
Where are you going, my baby, my own?
Turn around and you're two, turn around and you're four,
Turn around and you're a young girl going out of my door!
Turn around, turn around...
Turn around and you're a young girl going out of my door!

The older one gets the faster time seems to go, and it DOES sometimes feel like I just turned around (and sometimes perhaps I just blinked) and my little baby is a woman with babies of her own, a home and life of her own. Where DID the time go? AND to add insult to injury, now that I am older, life is slowing down and I have nothing better to do than spend time with the younger generation, they have no time to spend with me because they are busy with their lives, their homes and their children.

And so the circle goes 'round......

Find our "Canadian Oddball Blanket KAL" on Ravelry as: OddballBlankets

Last edited by The.Knitter : 01-22-2008 at 01:18 AM.
The.Knitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 01:08 AM   #14
Dangles
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Dangles Send a message via Yahoo to Dangles

Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 02:35 PM   #15
scout52
Working the Gusset

I'm sure you're Dad is really proud of you!! I think The.Knitter is right and your Dad is also going through empty nest. I always thought it would be my mom who would go through empty nest but it was my Dad that went through BAAAAD empty nest. You sound very mature with a very good head on your shoulders and it seems like your Dad sees that.

and he sounds like he really loves you when he seems sad when he thought you didin't want to talk to him!! that's wonderful!!

scout52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:41 AM   #16
Abbily
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,603 Times in 1,120 Posts
Guess I'm coming to this a little late, but here's my 2 cents.

As you said, you are a grown-up now. One of the GOALS of adulthood is the ability to form your own well-reasoned opinions. You have obviously done that. Good job! As a parent, I can tell you that even though my GOAL is to raise my children to be able to do just that, that doesn't mean it's easy to let go of the process. I'm sure you haven't disappointed him- and if he was temporarily disappointed, he will soon come to realize that he has done what he set out to do- raised a smart child who is able to think for herself. I think your duty to your dad is to respect him and his opinions (which you obviously do!); it is not your duty to share his opinions. It's clear that he loves you very much, and is very proud of you- it's just hard to let go.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space, I'm a loony!" -Campbell Bain (David Tennant) 'Takin' Over the Asylum'

OTN: Cabled Sweater, arm warmers, kids' clothes
Abbily is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Abbily For This Useful Post:
katiebug081504 (01-23-2008)
Old 01-23-2008, 10:12 PM   #17
katiebug081504
1st Leg of the Journey

Thank you everyone for your advice. I've talked to my dad a few times since that night and everything seems to be fine!
-----------------------
-On the Needles:
1. Simply Ginny Socks (1 complete)
2. Classic Wool Socks (1 complete)
3. Stag Bag (on the back...don't want to do the st st)
4. Five Easy Cables Blanket (1 of 8 skeins used)
-On the Hook:
1. Mantilla Lace Doily (I forgot where I am on this)
katiebug081504 is offline   Reply With Quote