Old 01-20-2008, 06:28 PM   #1
photolady

Jane Austen on PBS
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/...ten_2008-01-20

Good way to spend an evening. Anyone like to read Jane Austen?
PBS is airing her works, each Sunday night.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-20-2008, 07:11 PM   #2
bellium
1st Leg of the Journey

i've been recording them on DVR - they did persuasion last week, not sure what's on tonight...
bellium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 07:48 PM   #3
Pat in Ca

Ohhh thanks sooo much.. I am having my husband record them.. my daughter loves them too..
Old 01-20-2008, 10:44 PM   #4
knitgal
Working the Gusset

I've watched most of them! My dad burned them for me at Christmas. I absolutely LOVE Jane Austen. I thought Persuasion was just great and I cried through most of it...anyone else? Northanger Abbey was great as well, not quite as Austen in my opinion, but still really good. I didn't really like Billie Piper in Mansfield Park, but mostly because I felt like she needed to brush her hair all the way through! I'm reading Emma right now and LOVING it, it's one of the ones I haven't seen- so I can't wait!

OTN: Corona, Miter square blanket, Charity blankets
FO: Forest Canopy Shawl, Easy Baby Bootees, Kitty Pi, Ms. Marigold, Twinkle Toes, Josh's socks, Hedera socks, Spring Beret, Ashley's Birthday socks, Socks for the DBF's mom, grey socks for the DBF, my first socks, reversible cable scarf, ribbed hat for the BF, Manos Del Uruguay afghan, and a whole bunch of dishcloths!

knitgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 11:17 PM   #5
ladyjessica
Knitting the Flap

Huge Jane Austen fan here. I've never read Northanger Abbey, so I'm not really getting into it tonight, but I did enjoy Persuasion immensely. I'm waiting for Emma and, of course, P&P, my favorite. A friend got it for Christmas on DVD, but since she already had it she sent it to me. I'm still waiting for it to be on PBS, though, because for some reason the color is so much better on tv than it is on the DVDs. When I finish my current book I want to read either Emma or Sense & Sensibility.

OTN: Log Cabin Afghan, Aran Blanket Baby Afghan, Manos del Uruguay afghan;
Future WIP: A sock. Any sock.

My blog: Mincing Around the Dance Floor
ladyjessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 11:24 PM   #6
get_her_donne

Ah this reminds me that I forgot to watch Northanger Abbey tonight. Oh well. I'm excited to see the old Sense & Sensibility and Emma! I've only seen the newer versions with Emma Thompson and Gwyneth Paltrow. Of course I'm going to read the books whenever I find the time....
Old 01-21-2008, 02:30 AM   #7
photolady

Northanger Abbey was one of her earlier books, not published until after her death, I think.
She was poking fun at society's obsession with romance novels.
Persuasion was good, Captain Wentworth was perfect for her. I was glad she didn't accept Mr. Elliott's proposal, especially since that woman told her how awful he was!
Husband is also taping them for me.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:30 AM   #8
photolady

Originally Posted by bellium View Post
i've been recording them on DVR - they did persuasion last week, not sure what's on tonight...
cute blue eyed dog there....is he your dog?
Old 01-21-2008, 05:07 PM   #9
Denise in Michigan
Turning the Heel

I rank Austen right after Shakespeare and Dickens, but while Shakespeare is meant to be confined in a finite amount of time which is also suitable to television or movies, neither Dickens nor Austen can be. That doesn't mean it shouldn't be attempted, just that it can never succeed to everyone's satisfaction. In my area, only "Persuasion" and "Northanger Abbey" have been broadcast so far. Since so much of Austen's story-telling and social observations are contained in neither dialogue nor scenery, and voice-overs or diary-entries only take one so far, much cannot be conveyed.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:11 PM   #10
photolady

Originally Posted by Denise in Michigan View Post
"Persuasion" and "Northanger Abbey" have been broadcast so far. Since so much of Austen's story-telling and social observations are contained in neither dialogue nor scenery, and voice-overs or diary-entries only take one so far, much cannot be conveyed.
Persuasion and Northanger here, too. I think the movies leave out a lot, you have to read her books to appreciate her.