Old 01-21-2008, 01:07 AM   #1
Joannie
Casting On

Purl Over Scarf
I'm trying to knit a scarf using what I thought was a simple pattern of purl over one, purl 2 together. The row starts out with a purl and you cast on an uneven number of stitches.

I'm a beginner and have ripped it out 3 consdirable starts after discovering a mistakes which I could not correct. The mistake is an extra large whole.

I've tried getting the stitches back on the needle after ripping down to the mistake and I can't get that right either. It's 5 steps forward and 10 steps back. There must be an easier way. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Joannie is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-21-2008, 01:22 AM   #2
knitmama
Ribbing the Cuff

I'm still a newbie myself, so I'm not sure what it means to purl over, but as far as ripping back your work to the mistake go to the tips section of videos and there are some techniques for reinserting your needle, using a lifeline, and inserting your needle into the row you want to rip back to that have certainly helped me many times. Good luck!

OTN: Gail (aka Nightsongs), Basic Ribbed socks
FO: Dream in Color Shrug, Interlocking Leaves socks, Star-crossed Slouchy Beret

knitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:28 AM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
A purlover would actually be a yarnover done on the purl side of the work.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:05 PM   #4
Joannie
Casting On

Thanks for your response. I should have said yarn over (I'll never learn the lingo!). I did look at the videos for fixing mistakes and it looks so easy on the video, but with the extra yarn over stitches and purl 2 together stitches, I don't know how to get them all back on the needle. I plan to bring it into work tomorrow and hope to find someone who can help me. I was really enjoying myself and had to stop. Oh well. At least I found this website and as soon as i figure out how to use it, it'll be a great resource. Thanks again.
Joannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:33 PM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
On the rows between the YOs you probably just knit plain right? Undo it to the row before that one, then pull out the stitches one by one as you put them onto a needle.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote