Old 01-22-2008, 02:14 PM   #1
Kassia
Casting On

how to cast on stitches at the beginning of a row
I am knitting the seascape bolero from "The Knitter's Book of Yarn." I have just finished my first sleeve and am at the point where I need to add stitches for the body. The pattern states to cast on a number of stitches at the beginning of a RS row, work the existing stitches, and then cast on a number of stitches at the end. I know how to do it at the end, but how do I cast on at the *beginning* of the row? I just can't wrap my mind around it. Any help would be much appreciated!

Kassia
Kassia is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-22-2008, 02:49 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
You can use the knitted or cable cast on, using the first stitch on the needle instead of a slip knot.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 02:55 PM   #3
Kassia
Casting On

Do you mean that I should cast on at the end of the previous purl row? Here's what the pattern says:

"At the beginning of the next row, CO 47 sts for Front, work across 81 sts, CO 47 sts for back..."

I'm thinking that I actually need to cast on the stitches at the end of the previous purl row, otherwise won't I end up with a loop of yarn hanging down below?
Old 01-22-2008, 03:03 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
No hanging loop. At the end of the row, turn the needle. Insert your right needle into the first stitch and knit it, but don't slip the stitch off your left needle. Put the new stitch on the left needle instead and repeat. Look at the Videos for Cast ons and you'll see how it works. CO the 47 new stitches, then knit back across them and the older ones on the needle, turn and CO another 47 sts.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 03:10 PM   #5
Kassia
Casting On

OK, I think I get it now! So I will be working the cast-on stitches right away then. The pattern made it sound like I wouldn't so it had me confused. Thanks so much for your replies!