Old 01-22-2008, 07:51 PM   #1
stitchwitch
Working the Gusset

Hey Silver!
So how was the ski trip? Are you the next Picabo Street or what?! Did you ever find clothes or did you brave it in street clothes?

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-23-2008, 08:49 AM   #2
Silver
Instepping Out

It was a GREAT trip!! We did manage to find all the clothing we needed. We all wore waterproof pants (found in the fishing & camping department), worn over thermals and sweatpants or jeans. We had lots of hats, gloves and scarves. It was dry snow anyway, so we didn't even really need the waterproofing, but it was good to have the extra later of wind proofing.

I'll say one thing.. skiing is NOT for me. I took the lessons, but that's all. I do not like skiing, but I'm glad I tried it.

The kids, on the other hand, both of them took to skiing like a duck to water. They took their lessons and they were off skiing on their own for the rest of the day. Intermediate slopes and all!!

DH was all over the slopes, even the terrain slope. But I was surprisingly not worried, and had a great time just staying warm and watching everyone. Perfect North Slopes is a wonderful place for families. I felt so safe and secure knowing that the kids were fine where ever they were... which is totally unlike me. I am a hardcore worrier and even with my baby off on her own skiing, I was happy as a clam. She was told to come in and warm up when she needed it and meet us at the fireplace after her lift ticket expired.

No one got hurt! We were all sore the next day, but we're fine now. I have some bruises on my shins from the ski boots though. I don't know HOW people wear those all day. Maybe mine were too small, or too tight, or something. Ugh.

All in all we had a FABULOUS time, DS even said it was the "best weekend EVER". I got to play in the snow (man made and real) and experienced temperatures down to 7 degrees. Loved it. We'll be planning ski trip #2 soon! Pix coming on my blog soon.

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 09:31 AM   #3
Ronda
Instepping Out

Send a message via MSN to Ronda Send a message via Yahoo to Ronda
Glad you had a good time!
Old 01-23-2008, 09:54 AM   #4
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
Glad everyone had a great time!!

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 10:04 AM   #5
DQ
Working the Gusset

I'm glad you had a great time and you're all back safe
Old 01-23-2008, 10:20 AM   #6
stitchwitch
Working the Gusset

Oh what fun!! Glad your family and you had a good time, lots of memories made I'm sure.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:27 AM   #7
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
I'm glad you had a good time!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 12:07 PM   #8
losnana
Working the Gusset

Glad you had a good time. Let me suggest that you give skiing one more try. I HATED it the first time I tried it. I then became addicted, if one can be addicted to something you can only do one week a year. Anyway, it is not unusual to hate it the first go-around. I am a totally unathletic person, but love it anyway. But, on the other hand, I bet you had lots of time to knit!!??
Old 01-23-2008, 12:25 PM   #9
Sharly
Turning the Heel

Hi Silver! I'm glad you had a good time! Skiing is one thing I've never tried, and, as accident prone as I am, I probably never will!

While I envy your playing in the snow, we got to fluff around in some of the white stuff on Saturday, too! (ANY snow in central Alabama is a big deal!!)

I have a few pictures on my blog, and they link to a couple more on flickr.

Glad you are all safely home and had a good time!
Old 01-23-2008, 12:49 PM   #10
Silver
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by losnana View Post
Glad you had a good time. Let me suggest that you give skiing one more try. I HATED it the first time I tried it. I then became addicted, if one can be addicted to something you can only do one week a year. Anyway, it is not unusual to hate it the first go-around. I am a totally unathletic person, but love it anyway. But, on the other hand, I bet you had lots of time to knit!!??
I'm sure you're right. I do want to try again next time, but I'm not *excited* about it. I just couldn't get past the discomfort of the boots, and my knees had a hard time with it. I inherited bad knees from my dad, and have dislocated my right one before. The muscles around my knees are still stiff and tired... but thankfully not painful.

I actually didn't knit at all while there (I knitted while driving there and back though). I was thrilled about being in the cold and snow. It was about 25 when we got there, and dropped to 10 by the time we left. I had to wear two pairs of gloves to keep my fingers warm, so needless to say, I couldn't knit. That's ok though, I LOVED being out in the cold. I did lots of walking around the place and chatting with skiers and instructors. So many people couldn't believe we drove up from Florida just to go skiing for the weekend! I didn't think it was all that weird, but apparently it is. I don't think it's any different than northerners coming down here to see the sun and sand though. Maybe it was the fact that it was just for the weekend.

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote