Old 01-23-2008, 12:44 PM   #1
Sharly
Turning the Heel

Has anyone had dental deep cleaning?
Wow, this year is going really great! I spent my birthday night at a funeral home, and I found out today, I'll be having a dental procedure on Valentines day!

I'll be having a laser deep cleaning done in a few weeks. They are using the laser on the top, then when that is healed, they will do the manual procedure on the bottom.

I just wondered if anyone has had this done? I might wish I hadn't asked!! Don't scare me to death!!

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-23-2008, 01:04 PM   #2
jdee
Working the Gusset

I've never heard of a dental DEEP cleaning. It sounds scary, but then again, I'm a big sissy when it comes to dentists.

Visit my blog at www.jdeeannsblog@blogspot.com
Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew as steadfast spirit within me. Psalm 51:10
jdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 01:12 PM   #3
HamaLee
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to HamaLee
Two of my roommates just had to have this done recently, they hadn't been to the dentist in years and they're both former smokers. I guess they usually do one quadrant at a time, taking 4 visits. One of my roommates smooshed it into 2 sessions so he could get it done before he lost his dental coverage.

His mouth was sore for a day or two and a wee bit puffy, but he was fine other than that. Good luck!

--->Clever Sayings Go Here<---

HamaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 02:08 PM   #4
Sharly
Turning the Heel

Thanks HamaLee - I don't know of anyone who has had it done before, so I was hoping to get an idea of what to expect!

I saw a new dentist on Monday, and he asked if it's been a while since I've been to the dentist - the truth is, I've seen a dentist regularly every 6 months for years. I also brush 4 times a day and floss 3 times a day. My husband, (whose dental habits aren't nearly as good as mine) gets great check ups, while I have periodontal disease! Life isn't fair!!

Of course, we do eat the same things, and my cholesterol is perfect while his is sky high - that's something to be thankful for...

Anyway, hopefully, I can have this cleaning and get this problem arrested before I have tooth loss, bone loss, etc!
Old 01-24-2008, 10:20 AM   #5
stitchwitch
Working the Gusset

If you have the dental habits that you have described, I would seriously, seriously get another opinion especially since you just switched dentists. You will not get periodontal disease if you floss and have had regular cleanings unless you are sick with some sort of systemic infection which I'm assuming you aren't or are a heavy, heavy smoker. Deep perio cleanings are a quick way for dentists to scare you into a high priced procedure and to keep you coming back for more. Ask what your pocket depths are, if they are 2's, 3's and 4's then you are being ripped off. Also, your previous dentist should have this information, if the two charts don't match, move on. Trust me, I retired out of dentistry in 2000 because of practices like this, people get ripped off all the time and it's real hard to prove. There are alot of unscrupulous dentists out there. Get your previous records and ask for your charts from this dentist and compare them before you sink a bunch of money into something you don't need. I'm guessing he couldn't sell you a bunch of crowns so he went the perio route to make his money off of you.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:54 AM   #6
GinnyG
Instepping Out

Sorry Stitchwitch, but I don't agree. I am meticulous about my teeth and always have been. I have mild peridontal disease which I have kept from progressing by regular cleanings and an occasional deep cleaning of two problem areas. Although poor care can certainly contribute to peridontal disease it does not ONLY occur in people who don't take care of their teeth.

I am older (50's) but have never smoked, brush three times a day (I keep a toothbrush in my purse) and floss regularly. I use Listerine twice a day and have my teth cleaned every six months. Have taken meticulous care of my teeth all my life

You may be right about it being an over used procedure but I'd rather be safe than sorry when it comes to my teeth.

My exhusband had very bad periodontal disease and I developed it about 10 years into our marriage. My Peridontist told me that the bacteria that cause peridontal disease can actually be spread through kissing.

The deep cleaning is no more uncomfortable than a filling, they will use novacaine.
GinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 11:19 AM   #7
gingerbread
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to gingerbread Send a message via Skype™ to gingerbread
It does depend on what kind of procedure the dentist is going to use. You say a laser are the going to cut the gums also. That is what the dentist said I should have. Well now I have all the upper teeth falling out. They are so bad and I go to the dentist every three months. I was told that this is a procedure that makes money for the dentists.
So do really think about it does it make sense to cut some of the gums to stop pockets? If it is just a deep cleaning then that is not as bad to your teeth. I have that done of the bottom of my teeth once a year and cleaning to the rest of the year.
Good luck and I hope that I didn't scare anyone. I thought that I was doing the right thing and it back fired on me.

Teri

I am memere on Ravelry
gingerbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 11:31 AM   #8
HamaLee
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to HamaLee
I should note that both of my roommates, mentioned above, were told by their dentist what their pocket numbers were. They both higher than 4, and one of them had 7s! So yeah, your dentist should definitely be giving you that number. I believe anything up to 3 is healthy and shouldn't need more than regular cleanings. If they didn't tell you this ask!

--->Clever Sayings Go Here<---

HamaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 11:34 AM   #9
iza
Turning the Heel

You say Sharly you go to the dentist regularly - did your previous dentist ever told you about problems before? I doubt it can just appear suddenly.

If you're unsure, it's a good idea to ask for a second opinion.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:50 AM   #10
Sharly
Turning the Heel

Thanks everyone for your input.

Based on what I have read, and after talking with the Periodontist, I feel like I do need the procedure. Even though I have thought I was doing what needed to be done by flossing and brushing regularly, I do have a lot of bleeding. When I would see my former dentist, the hygenist would just talk down to me like I was a child and even told me there was no reason to be dishonest about my habits. They even made me watch a video on how to floss your teeth. That was humilating, I'm in my 40s! They never suggested any type of treatment to help with the situation, other than to take a mulit-vitamin (which I do) and not to brush too hard. They assumed I wasn't doing my part in my dental care. Then, when the Dentist would come in to see me (for about a minute), he would pat me on the shoulder and say "Everything looks fine, just keep up what you're doing".

I was beginning to think that bleeding gums were just something I had to deal with. Then, when a new practice opened up, that was really more convenient, I took the opportunity to change dentists (I don't know why it took so long)!

I have much better dental habits than DH and he always got excellent check ups and even complimented on what good care he takes! (But, he has a cracked tooth that the former dentist never diagnosed!)

After talking to the Periodontist I was referred to for the Deep Cleaning, I understand a little better how this could have happened. He explained how the bacteria is different from person to person and how it affects people differently. Also, the anatomy of my mouth is such that I am unable to adequately clean at home. Also, I have extensive dental work (most of it old), including 6 root canals, and he explained how that can affect and exacerbate the situation. And, of course, genetics plays a role, too.

So, my hope is that I can get my gums healthy and keep the teeth I have. I do plan eventually to have some crowns and other improvements done. But, I know I have to have a healthy foundation before I have any of that.

Ginny - thanks so much for sharing about your experience. It's really hard when you think you are doing what you need to do, and the situation isn't getting better. I've never been a smoker, either, so that was never a factor. I didn't know the bacteria could spread through kissing. Wow, I would feel awful if dh got it. Thanks for saying that periodontal disease doesn't only happen to people who don't take care. I think there's definitely a stigma there.

Stitchwitch - thanks for your iput as well. You offer a different perspective! I actually do feel confident about the new dentist (more so than the old one), and they did do the measurments and I had several areas that were 6mm, this coupled with the swelling and bleeding (yes, I'm terribly attactive!) leads me to believe in my case it is warranted.

Gingerbread - I'm sorry you have had such a bad experience. I know it is disheartening. I have recently spoken with someone who said she went through this years ago. She had the deep cleaning a few times, but eventually had to have her teeth pulled and has dentures. She said it was the best thing she ever did. Don't worry, you didn't scare me I'm glad you shared, and I hope you get some resolution, soon.