Old 01-24-2008, 12:16 PM   #11
stitchwitch
Working the Gusset

Sharly, ahhh the info you gave now adds up. A six pocket is bad and it sounds like your old dentist wasn't up to par on your dental care and his hygienist wasn't very competent either. It happens.
I rescind my opinion of the new guy and hope that your experience is favorable. Good luck with all of it. I'm glad you found someone who can set you on the right track of optimum oral health.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-24-2008, 12:25 PM   #12
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
DH and I get our teeth cleaned 4 times a year. I'm pretty good with flossing, but not as much as they say to do. Anyway, I've never had a deep cleaning with a laser, but I've had it done manually a few times. They numbed up my mouth and scraped away. It was a little sore afterward from all the deep cleaning around and under the gum line, but it wasn't too bad.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 12:44 PM   #13
Sharly
Turning the Heel

Thanks Stitchwitch! I love the "optimum oral health" phrase! That's what I'm going for!

Jan, thanks for sharing! They will use the laser on the top because those are worse than the bottom. The bottom will get the manual cleaning later.

They way they explained the laser procedure, I couldn't help but think it was very similar to a D&C. It basically takes away the diseased and damaged tissue so new healthy tissue can grow, and they also do the scraping on the tooth root....what fun! I think I'll be ok, but I will be taking the day following off from work...my, my what will I do? I hope I feel well enough to knit!!
Old 01-24-2008, 01:24 PM   #14
stitchwitch
Working the Gusset

Ask them for the oral rinse too, I think it's called Periomed if I can recall correctly. It's kind of expensive and is available only through your dentist or via prescription but it works. Also, ask them about the antibiotic fibers they can put around your tooth to kill a pocket bacterial infection if one develops in the future after you've had the root planing and curretage. If you no longer have a whole mouth issue this is an easy way to go or if you get a flareup.
Lastly, (hygiene preacher coming out, cover your ears and run for your life ) make sure your diet is really good and you aren't under alot of stress (yeah right, easy to do). Next to smoking, diet and stress are the leading causes of periodontal disease. Under that, diabetes and high blood pressure and genetics. If your parents had perio problems, chances are you might too. Those are the systemic causes that are the hardest to get in check and require more diligent action.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:40 PM   #15
Sharly
Turning the Heel

Thanks! All good advice. They did mention going over some follow-up care for me to do at home, that may be what they had in mind. I suspect too, they'll want me to get a water pik. I had one once before, but I admit I didn't use it because it was a pain. They have one now that is cordless and self-contained. I might give that a try if I have to.

My diet is good for the most part. I don't eat sugary snacks or drink sugary sodas. I also don't use caffeine at all. (I don't know if that has anything to do with it). I'm not diabetic and my bp is good. However, on the gentics side, I got a double whammy. Both parents had dental issues, so I'm sure that is a major factor for me.

Again, thanks for your input. It's great to get the "inside scoop"