Old 01-24-2008, 02:22 PM   #11
Jax3303
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Jax3303
Knitting being so meditative has helped me get through a lot of stressful times. It gives me another way to express my creativity, which is also another way for me to express how much other people mean to me. It's made me snack less so it's helped me loose some weight. It keeps my fingers and wrists active and that relieves my arthritis pain.

My Blog

Jax3303 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-24-2008, 02:37 PM   #12
mdog182
Turning the Heel

I've always longed to be good at something crafty. I tried scrapbooking....didn't hold my attention very long. It was by coincidence, and ignorance as to the difference between knitting and crocheting, that I took up knitting. It makes me so happy to be good at something that I can make with my own hands. It gives me a sense of accomplishment and I feel like it filled a void that I had in my life.

OTN: snowflake lace socks, green (or in my case, blue) gable
mdog182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:16 PM   #13
knitgal
Working the Gusset

Knitting, for me, has been a huge bonding experience with my aunt. At least it started that way. I learned in school when I was younger, but no one could help me or teach me after that. My aunt and I became close when I moved to the same city for university. The summer before last she re-taught me how to knit and I've been hooked ever since. It's great because we have a common interest and it keeps us connected.
I also love that it is something that my ancestors have done for generations. My mom knits, my aunt, my grandmas and before them. My grandma was a very skilled knitter and made gorgeous and complicated fair isle sweaters. Unfortunately I never got to meet her, but I have a sweater that she made for my mom when she was pregnant.
I also love that knitting is something hands on and productive in a day and age where everything is computerized. I love that when I come home from sitting in front of a laptop I can pick up my needles and create something. Something real, tangible. And it's something not everyone can do, especially people my age.

OTN: Corona, Miter square blanket, Charity blankets
FO: Forest Canopy Shawl, Easy Baby Bootees, Kitty Pi, Ms. Marigold, Twinkle Toes, Josh's socks, Hedera socks, Spring Beret, Ashley's Birthday socks, Socks for the DBF's mom, grey socks for the DBF, my first socks, reversible cable scarf, ribbed hat for the BF, Manos Del Uruguay afghan, and a whole bunch of dishcloths!

knitgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:31 PM   #14
SusanAnn
Ribbing the Cuff

I started picking up knitting again this November/December. I had health problems ( which are still being investigated) and just had to take it easy, so teaching myself to knit continental style ( I learnt English as a child) has given me an attainable, well mostly attainable creative challenge.

Knitpurlgurl, I am soo impressed that you knit with your son, and that learning to knit has helped with his handwriting. My son has autism and I never thought of teaching him to knit, you have given me a great project for us to do together this half term.
SusanAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:43 PM   #15
knitpurlgurl
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to knitpurlgurl Send a message via Yahoo to knitpurlgurl Send a message via Skype™ to knitpurlgurl
Originally Posted by SusanAnn View Post
Knitpurlgurl, I am soo impressed that you knit with your son, and that learning to knit has helped with his handwriting. My son has autism and I never thought of teaching him to knit, you have given me a great project for us to do together this half term.
Thank you. I hope you and your son enjoy it. My son is AS and 12 yo. Where on the ASD is your son and how old?

"Yarn stashes insulate the house."
"Just one more skein can't hurt."
- from Knitticisms
knitpurlgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:53 PM   #16
SusanAnn
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by knitpurlgurl View Post
Thank you. I hope you and your son enjoy it. My son is AS and 12 yo. Where on the ASD is your son and how old?

My son is ten years old and his " official" diagnosis is high functioning autistic spectrum disorder. We're in the UK, so some of our termology might be different, but as far as I understand high functioning autism is pretty similar to Aspergers, but my son's consultant said that his speech delay as a small child means that he fits best into the high functioning autism category.
SusanAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 04:08 PM   #17
knitpurlgurl
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to knitpurlgurl Send a message via Yahoo to knitpurlgurl Send a message via Skype™ to knitpurlgurl
Originally Posted by SusanAnn View Post
My son is ten years old and his " official" diagnosis is high functioning autistic spectrum disorder. We're in the UK, so some of our termology might be different, but as far as I understand high functioning autism is pretty similar to Aspergers, but my son's consultant said that his speech delay as a small child means that he fits best into the high functioning autism category.
My son is a moderate Asperger's kid. He has some real social issues. No speech delays or other physical delays, fortunately. However, he is very socially impaired and we are actually pulling him out of the public school system due to the complete lack of positive socialization and constant bullying from other children. I plan to quit my teaching job after this school year and homeschool him next year. Our insurance company is not required (here in the states) to cover any diagnoses on the autism spectrum, so therapies are not easily available to us. We try whatever will work. I don't know how easily available therapies are there for you. Good luck to you. And thank God your son is high functioning. I thank God every day that my son is so high functioning. My heart goes out to parents of children who are extremely low functioning.

"Yarn stashes insulate the house."
"Just one more skein can't hurt."
- from Knitticisms
knitpurlgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 04:11 PM   #18
photolady

Originally Posted by NC Girl View Post
I try to do a little each day now so that I can feel like I've accomplished something.
That's part of it. It's MY space, my accomplishment.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:18 PM   #19
photolady

Knitting was suggested to me, by a professional, as a way to cope with
being kept waiting while DH got ready to go somewhere with me.
I began picking up needles and knitting, instead of getting more impatient while he dawdled.
Pretty soon, he saw I wasn't interested in looking at the time, and even in being there on time, and I was more interested in finishing a row, than in seeing if he was ready to go.
Now, I like being creative, learning more advanced knitting techniques, as a challenge to my mind. I like learning about yarns, and seeing how things look, once completed.

Now that I think about it, there isn't so much waiting for DH anymore. He's gotten better, at being ready on time.

So, knitting has done whatever THAT is, for me.
What is that?
Old 01-24-2008, 04:52 PM   #20
Mommy22alyns
Turning the Heel

I can feel proud of myself for learning a new skill and doing it well. On the other side, I can look forward to learning even more - you never get "to the end" of knitting - there's always more to learn!

It plays to my love of multi-tasking. I can knit and watch baseball! I don't feel like my time has been completely wasted waiting in a doctor's office. I can take advantage of idle time while getting my hair done or riding in the car.

It relaxes me and helps me unwind, which I definitely need. I have a hard time shutting down my brain and I can occupy it with something calming and repetitive instead.

It's hard to feel down on yourself when you're in the middle of creating something beautiful from two sticks and a ball of yarn!

Knitting for baby - those little things fly off the needles!
Mommy22alyns is offline   Reply With Quote