Old 01-24-2008, 10:05 PM   #21
Plantgoddess+
Working the Gusset

For me knitting is an extension of the type of things I've always liked to do. I like being creative, but want what I make to be useful. I used to have a milk cow and raised hogs, chickens, calves and sold milk and eggs. I loved making cheese and butter and ice cream. At one point in time with the animals and my garden all I had to buy was sugar,flour, salt and a few other items. We live off of my "hobby". My cow died and I got into breeding horses and training them for others until my health wouldn't allow me to ride much anymore. I then started a perennial nursery and did that for about a decade until my body wouldn't tolerate the workload. Throughout knitting had been something I did when I couldn't be outside. As I have aged and damaged more of my joints, knitting has become the primary way I still create. It has darn near become an obsession since I found KH. I still am making something useful and enjoying myself at the same time.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-24-2008, 11:43 PM   #22
marlajap
1st Leg of the Journey

For me, knitting is partly an experience like Amber's - I am not one to sit idly and watch television or just look at the scenery on a car ride. I used to read obsessively, but I concentrate on that so deeply that I usually don't hear what's going on around me, which drives the men in my life insane! So, now I knit...when I'm not working or blogging or on this forum or cooking or shopping or just "Being Mom"!
You see, I have two sons, ages 12 and 19, a hubby, a bunch of pets, a couple of friends and *their* pets borrowing my spare room for various reasons, and a very busy, very high-stress job. My DH and older son both have ADD, and my younger son is just, well, 12! So, I always wind up having to be the brain in the family, in addition to the stress of my job.

So - knitting is part relaxation, part keeping me from the inanity of watching TV, and part creative outlet. And a lot of pride in producing something to keep someone warm or make them feel pretty or something.
blogging at http://knitvspurl.wordpress.com
marlajap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 02:17 AM   #23
LilHuskiesFootBallMom
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to LilHuskiesFootBallMom Send a message via Yahoo to LilHuskiesFootBallMom
it's brought me out of my shell.... I'm normally the one hiding away in the corner because I hate crowds and don't like talking to people (i have been dealing with an anxiety disorder).

I have some of the most interesting conversations in some of the oddest places and have even been caught on camera (Capital news 9... they showed me standing in line w/ my dh waiting for our Harry Potter book 7 knitting away on my son's sweater LOL)...
Old 01-25-2008, 03:01 AM   #24
gatorjade
1st Leg of the Journey

I taught myself how to knit after a very painful breakup; I was living with my boyfriend, and after "irreconcilable differences" I moved out quite abruptly. As a poor college student (with a diet consisting of nothing but Ramen noodles and a beat-up car that always seems to be out of gas), I had to force myself to continue managing both school and work on top of moving mid-semester and handling my anguish over my failed relationship. As desperate as it sounds, I had to relearn the joys of life without having my partner there.

My new roommate (and dear friend) suggested that I find a hobby in order to regain contentment with my single life. I went to the bookstore, searched through a big book of hobby ideas and developed a "crush" on the prospect of knitting. Alas, instead of coming to terms with my singularity, I was driven into the arms of another.

My knitting and I have been together since late October, and I think we're in it for the long haul! In fact, I've already had to give up half of my closet space.

OTN: Drawstring Chemise (IK, Spring '08 Issue)
gatorjade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 03:52 AM   #25
Gertie
Knitting the Flap

My story isn't dramatic. Yarn/fiber therapy is truly helpful. It helps to always have a super easy project OTN at all times. Knitting is also my favorite art form.

I also have a super soft cat when I need a fur fix.

And then of course there is prayer.
Gertie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 04:18 AM   #26
KniftyKnitterGal
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to KniftyKnitterGal Send a message via Yahoo to KniftyKnitterGal
I started both knitting and crocheting when I started college this year. I can't get enough of it. Every day I always discover something new about knitting and can't wait to learn it. Knitting is always my zen too for when I get stressed with work. Knitting is my stress reliever, and my life!

~Jak
KniftyKnitterGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 05:47 AM   #27
Quiltlady
Working the Gusset

I love it
I've been knitting seriously now for almost 5 yrs. I really love it. It has a calming effect on me. I also enjoy buying knitting books and wonderful yarns.
I knit almost daily now. It makes me feel creative. I see a project and then I knit it to prove to myself that I can do it. Then I move on to the next thing.
Having two young grandchildren has been a big encouragement to keep on knitting.
Quiltlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 09:56 AM   #28
knittingymnast
Working the Gusset

i taught myself to knit 3 months ago!! yay me!!
knittingymnast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 10:29 AM   #29
kimmypooh
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via Yahoo to kimmypooh
I just learned to knit this month, I thought it would be something to do sometimes. HA I'm already obsessed. We moved here in June so that my DH (who by the way found this site for me) could go back to school to become a teacher. I have some fairly serious medical problems that keep me from working, and doing all the things that I used to enjoy. I have been extremely depressed since moving because of the lack of knowing anyone or having anything to do. MY MIL actually asked me if there were any classes I wanted to take, so I took a knitting class. It has given me something to do, that gives me something to show for all the time that I sit in this house, calms me when I am anxious, gives my mind something to do (there will be lots of learning, I would think for years to come), allowed me to meet another person in this state, and I hope allows me to make beautiful things and meet some more people. My DH family lives here but they... humm well lets say are usually less than understanding.
So thank you to MIL, all of the nice knitters on the net, and to the yarn gods and absolutely who ever runs this site (I really love those videos!)
Next UP: My first real socks
Next UP: Baby Surprise Jacket- if I can figure out what size of yarn to use

kimmypooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 11:57 AM   #30
Knit4Fun
Turning the Heel

Knitting is definitely changing my life in some wonderful ways...

I tend to be left-brained as a rule and so anything creative that I can do tends to balance me out nicely and it's a great calming outlet for a stressful day (being step-mom to two teenagers can give you just a wee bit of stress now and then!).

I think what attracts me most to knitting (and I don't in any way mean to not include men in this but it's focused more toward women) is that when I knit, I feel connected to not only thousands of you women now that are doing the same craft but to countless women from past generations who were knitting too. It's like a connectedness thing, I guess.

:-)

OTN: Chunky Knit Scarf; Baby Sweater; Mitts

Recent FO: Christmas Ornaments; Felted Bag; Felted Clutch

Ravelry ID: Knittn4Fun

Flickr ID: Knit4Fun

Blog: Blogbykris.livejournal.com
Knit4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote