Old 02-03-2008, 11:19 PM   #41
wrenchwench
Casting On

Send a message via Yahoo to wrenchwench
The Zen of Knitting?
OK after reading all the posts on this thread I have to wonder if Knitting releases something like Serotonin? I wonder because I feel the same way as many of you do in regards to relaxation.
I have both Migraines and mild OCD,(obsessive compulsive disorder). Because of this I find that repetitive actions are soothing, they are said to aid in the stimulaton of the types of chemicals that lower aggressive and anxious emotions.
Because of the OCD I cannot sit and watch TV, just can't do it. I have to have something to do, it used to be Jigsaw puzzles but I got bored with that as I can to a 1000 peice in a little more than an evening.

When I started Knitting it was not with yarn. I used to knit with wire, I made ChainMaille, yes as in armour.

See, I am a Mechanic by trade and preference so I understood wire, yarn was a mystery to me. (As are most of the female arts, I am a horrible tomboy still in my 30's) But you cannot sell/give away as many peices of armour as you might think.
So I switched to yarn and have been happily dragging around a knitting bag ever since.
This has shocked many people as I never owned a purse in my life and this looks mighty similar.

Knitting has given me a shared common interest with my grandma and my mom, and gives my son and I something to do together while watching TV. He is 13 and just learning.
wrenchwench is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-03-2008, 11:47 PM   #42
Jen17
Turning the Heel

knitting has made me more patient! No more tapping of the foot...I just knit! I started 3 years ago this month. Next weekend I am taking a lace knitting class and can't wait! I could probably teach myself how to do it, but it is so much fun to meet with the "girls" of all ages and learn and talk. I've made friends that I wouldn't have otherwise. We support each other in bad times and laugh in good.
Meeting knitters is funny too, you meet them everywhere. I was on the treadmill at the Y today and the girl next to me asked where I work, so we talked about that for a minutes and I said I was going home to watch a movie and knit and she said that SHE knits and what do I have on my needles?!
The other day I was trying to remember what it was I did with my time when I didn't knit! Oh yeah..house work,LOL

Jen
Jen17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:20 AM   #43
Doodknitwit
Working the Gusset

well
i'm more satisfied to be still....i snack less so it works as a diet too.
i'm addicted....