Old 01-26-2008, 10:41 AM   #1
bethany
Turning the Heel

Baby it's cold outside!! What's for dinner?
So, foodies, what is your warm-up meal? (Or for those in the warmer climates, what is your comfort meal?) Let's share some recipes...Here's one I made up one night...

Chorizo and White Bean Rice

about 1/2 link hot chorizo (diced or cut into rounds or sticks)
about 1/2 link mild chorizo (diced or cut into rounds or sticks)
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 cup rice (uncooked, basmati)
1/4 red onion, diced
Equal amounts: celery (starting with the leaves) and carrots, diced (equal amounts to the onion)
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
1 box chicken broth
1 can drained, rinsed cannellini beans

Cook/render chorizo over medium-high to high heat (don’t burn!). Remove from pan leaving oil. Add olive oil and cook carrot, onion and celery for about 2 minutes. Add rice and gently stir to coat. Add chicken broth, cumin, salt and sage and cover to cook rice. Stir frequently. When rice is done, liquid should be mostly absorbed. Add chorizo back into the pan and beans. Stir and let heat through.

OTN: Old Shale Lace Triangle
OTH: blanket
FO: 3 pairs Pocketbook slippers, Kickline socks, baby cloths, 007 monkey, market bag, Ocean socks, chemo cap, 12 Stitch-It! blankets, 9 Charity Oddball baby blankets

: Bethanyg

bethany is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-26-2008, 10:59 AM   #2
knittingymnast
Working the Gusset

mmmmm! almost as good as MMMMALABRIGO!!!
knittingymnast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 01:41 PM   #3
iza
Turning the Heel

Yummy! I love chorizo!

For me, when it's cold, I love a good basic beef stew (we make it with beer, so tasty!), or, even better, a cheese fondue.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:54 PM   #4
cristeen
1st Leg of the Journey

Chili. The original comfort food. This is my personal recipe after years of tinkering.

2 pounds ground meat (I love it with buffalo when I can find it)
2 large cloves garlic, sliced
1 med yellow onion, chopped
2 Tbs olive oil
14.5 oz can chopped or whole tomatoes (or two cups fresh)
2- 8 oz cans tomato sauce (or two cups)
~ 2 cups cooked beans (this is inexact, I just toss in what I have, or leave it out altogether)

Spices:
1 Tbs Chili Powder
1 Tbs Cumin
1 tsp Garlic powder
1 tsp Thyme
1 tsp Tarragon
2 tsp Oregano
2 tsp Basil
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Cocoa powder
1 Tbs Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 tsp White Pepper (sub black if you don't have white)
1/2 tsp Chipotle Powder (this is just ground chipotle peppers, you can use it chopped from a can or leave it out if you don't want the spice)
1/4 tsp Cayenne

In a large pot, combine the garlic, onions and oil over medium heat. Cook 3 minutes or so, until the onions are just starting to turn limp. Stir in the herbs and spices, cook, stirring occasionally, until you can smell the spices. Add the meat, stirring to break it up, cook until the meat is cooked through. Add the tomatoes and simmer 5 minutes. Add cooked beans, simmer 30 minutes or so.

Beyond chili, soups like Spicy Pumpkin, Cream of Roasted Tomato, Cream of Crab are also faves.
cristeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 08:11 PM   #5
Krystal
Turning the Heel

I so wanted chili today... But alas, I have no beans and I have no chili powder. But I have lots of meat and tomato sauce.. haha.

So I changed my mind to make some chicken enchiladas... a new dish I made earlier this week and LOOOVED, but alas, all out of cream of chicken soup, and have not nearly enough tortilla shells, pace or sour cream. I can't catch a break today. lol.

I think DH is gonna be stuck with canned stew, and I am going to have some Mr. Noodles soup.... You can tell it's grocery week in my house.

EDIT --- ARGH! I can't even have my soup! hahahaha! I just put a pot on to boil, go into the cupboard and grab the package of soup. I have the noodles, but I had taken the seasoning out to add to some chicken a few weeks ago. I eat this particular soup without water, just hot noodles, with the seasoning. I only need half the packet of seasoning since there is no water...

...but I must have left it out and DH must have swept it away when he tidyed up... doh!

I guess I am having ghetto spaghetti... Mr. Noodles, noodles, topped with tomato sauce.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:12 PM   #6
knittingymnast
Working the Gusset

omg! what depth! i will have to try it!
knittingymnast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 12:00 AM   #7
cheesiesmom
Turning the Heel

Homemade soup. Today it was split pea.

Bag of split peas, celery, carrots, onions, garlic, some of the frozen Christmas ham. Add water and simmer for 3 hours. Yum. Hot, comforting. Delish!!

Some days it's chicken soup. with rice. I love rice.

I could eat soup every day from October to April.
cheesiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 12:14 AM   #8
cristeen
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Krystal View Post
I so wanted chili today... But alas, I have no beans and I have no chili powder. But I have lots of meat and tomato sauce.. haha.

So I changed my mind to make some chicken enchiladas... a new dish I made earlier this week and LOOOVED, but alas, all out of cream of chicken soup, and have not nearly enough tortilla shells, pace or sour cream. I can't catch a break today. lol.
When I have meat and tomatoes, Sloppy Joes are usually on the menu. I don't eat it with bread, just with a spoon.

1 Onion,Thinly Sliced
4 Celery Stalks,Thinly Sliced
1 Red Bell Pepper,Thinly Sliced
6 Garlic Cloves, Finely Chopped
1/2 Jalapeno, Finely Chopped
2 lb Ground Beef
1-8 oz can Tomato Sauce
1/4 c Ketchup
1 t Tabasco
2 t Worcestershire
1-14.5 oz can Fire Roasted Tomatoes (or any whole tomatoes)
2 T Sugar or Honey
1 t Hot Sauce
6 T White Vinegar
2 t Dry Mustard
1/2 t Chili Powder
1 t Paprika
1 t Cumin
1 t Oregano
Salt & Pepper,To Taste

In a large skillet, combine the onion, celery, and bell pepper with a little olive oil. Cook over medium heat approximately 5 minutes, or until softened and translucent. Add garlic and jalapeno, cook another 5 minutes. Transfer to a heat proof bowl, set aside.

Add the beef to the hot skillet. Break into small pieces with a wooden spoon. Cook a few minutes, until about half cooked.

In a small bowl, combine the ketchup, worcestershire, tabasco, hot sauce, sugar, and spices into a paste. Add to the meat, stirring to distribute. Add the tomato sauce, and vinegar to the meat. Break up the roasted tomatoes with your hands, and add the entire can to the meat. Stir the vegetables back in, and simmer until no longer soupy. Add salt and pepper to taste.

The sauce should be below the level of the meat and fairly thick when it is done.

Enchiladas with cream of chicken soup? Taco shells? I've never heard of that...

Around here enchiladas are soft tortillas stuffed with leftover chicken or pork mixed with cheese, onions and salsa verde or roja.
cristeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 01:28 AM   #9
Krystal
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
When I have meat and tomatoes, Sloppy Joes are usually on the menu. I don't eat it with bread, just with a spoon....

...Enchiladas with cream of chicken soup? Taco shells? I've never heard of that...

Around here enchiladas are soft tortillas stuffed with leftover chicken or pork mixed with cheese, onions and salsa verde or roja.
I love sloppy joes, I eat it with bread, or a spoon. I usually pick at it while I am putting it away for leftovers. haha. DH has to tell me to stop. I don't have any tomatoes tho... can't stand them... Actually, the only veggie you will ever find in my house is red and green Peppers, and they are the first items to be devoured lol.

We don't use taco shells for the enchiladas... tortilla shells... iunno we have always called them tortilla shells? But they are just soft flour tortillas.

The chicken enchilada recipe (originally from here) is absolutely incredible. It is a Campbell's Soup recipe that has like 500 , 5star reviews. We tried it this week and it really is amazing.

Chicken Enchiladas

Prep: 20 minutes
Bake: 40 minutes

Serves: 6

Ingredients:

1 can (10 3/4 ounces) Campbell's® Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup (regular, 98% Fat Free or 25% Less Sodium)
1 container (8 ounces) sour cream
1 cup Pace® Picante Sauce
2 tsp. chili powder
2 cups chopped cooked chicken
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese (about 4 ounces)
10 flour tortillas (6-inch), warmed
1 medium tomato, chopped (about 1 cup)
1 green onion, sliced (about 2 tablespoons)

Directions:

Stirthe soup, sour cream, picante sauce and chili powder in a medium bowl.
Stir1 cup picante sauce mixture, chicken and cheese in a large bowl.
Spreadabout 1/4 cup chicken mixture down the center of each tortilla. Roll up and place seam-side down in a 3-quart shallow baking dish. Pour the remaining picante sauce mixture over the filled tortillas. Cover the baking dish.
Bakeat 350°F. for 40 minutes or until the enchiladas are hot and bubbling. Top with the tomato and onion.
Tipfor 2 cups of chopped cooked chicken: Heat 4 cups water in a 3-quart saucepan over medium heat to a boil. Add 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts or thighs, cubed, and cook for 5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Drain and chop the chicken.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:08 AM   #10
bethany
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
Chili. The original comfort food. This is my personal recipe after years of tinkering.

1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Cocoa powder

Beyond chili, soups like Spicy Pumpkin, Cream of Roasted Tomato, Cream of Crab are also faves.
yum with cinnamon and cocoa! And I love your other soups too!

OTN: Old Shale Lace Triangle
OTH: blanket
FO: 3 pairs Pocketbook slippers, Kickline socks, baby cloths, 007 monkey, market bag, Ocean socks, chemo cap, 12 Stitch-It! blankets, 9 Charity Oddball baby blankets

: Bethanyg

bethany is offline   Reply With Quote