Old 01-27-2008, 08:22 PM   #11
AnnArrogance
Ribbing the Cuff

The Sensational Knitted Socks books are great! I also recommend Cat Bordhi's books-- "Socks Soar on Two Circular Needles" and "New Pathways for Sock Knitters." I haven't made anything out of them yet, but the patterns and techniques are fantastic. I also have a great one called "Two at a Time Socks," which teaches you how to knit 2 socks at the same time and has great patterns to boot. No second sock syndrome!

AnnArrogance

OTN: Arm-Warmers (still--major SSS!), Henry Scarf for DH, Socks for DH
March FO: Feral Fair Isles Dog Sweaters, 2 pairs of socks, Koolhaas Hat
Queue: 2 Feral Fair Isles Dog Sweaters, Ice Queen, Palindrome Hat, Sweet Dreams Throw, more socks, Fitzmaurice Sweater, Hardy Sweater
AnnArrogance is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AnnArrogance For This Useful Post:
rachejm (01-28-2008)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-27-2008, 11:31 PM   #12
Plantgoddess+
Working the Gusset

I find I can waste hours at this web site.
http://www.knittychick.com/free_sock_patterns.htm
Birdiegirl (01-28-2008), rachejm (01-28-2008)
Old 01-28-2008, 02:55 AM   #13
Gertie
Knitting the Flap

I also like "Sensational Knitted Socks" I learned on that book. The instructions cover for if you're using 4dpns, 5 dpns, or 2 circs. This really helped when I switched from one to the other to find what I liked best.

There are errors tho. Go to:
http://www.martingale-pub.com/Inform...s/B687_cor.htm
Gertie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gertie For This Useful Post:
Debkcs (01-28-2008), rachejm (01-28-2008)
Old 01-28-2008, 04:00 AM   #14
Debkcs
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,192 Posts
Quote:
I also have both of Charlene Schurch's books and while they are wonderful, I find to be a bit overwhelming. There is a lot of information in there to sort through.
That's WHY I like her books, there is SO much information, that you could literally, as the cover says, knit only from her book for the rest of your life.

Cat Bordhi's books look great, but I asked at two different LYS's, and found that the number one question is "Why doesn't this work?" If you go to CatBordhi.com there is an errata page with 32 corrections. I thought it was me, but no, it's not. If you buy the 2001 version, all that was offered, you need the errata page.

I guess, in the end, it's all subjective. I like books, Dot likes saving money and finding patterns on the computer.

GERTIE! Thanks for the errata page for Sturchs' book. Aren't these books proof read for content anymore?

"All good things and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of Lights who cannot change."
James 1:17
Debkcs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Debkcs For This Useful Post:
rachejm (01-28-2008)
Old 01-28-2008, 10:26 AM   #15
diny0
Casting On

Knit Socks!
I bought the book Knit Socks! by Betsy Lee McCarthy when I first learned to knit socks. There's great variety and easy to understand instructions. I just bought the Sensational Socks book and started a pair from that book yesterday. I have to agree about the variety of stitches offered. I am a novice when it comes to trying new stitches but I am determined to learn.

Diane
diny0 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to diny0 For This Useful Post:
rachejm (01-28-2008)
Old 01-28-2008, 11:39 AM   #16
photolady

Originally Posted by McKnitty View Post
I have to agree as well. I have several sock books, but I keep going back to Ann Budd's Getting Started Knitting Socks. So many beautiful full-color pictures to go along with the instructions.

I also have both of Charlene Schurch's books and while they are wonderful, I find to be a bit overwhelming. There is a lot of information in there to sort through.

You said it better than I. Schurch overwhelms me, when I look at even one pattern. Ann Budd is easier to get in to, and to stay with.

GO TO THE LIBRARY FIRST, save your money! Check these out, and look at them, before you buy!!
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
rachejm (01-28-2008)
Old 01-29-2008, 02:54 AM   #17
Gertie
Knitting the Flap

Debkcs - I dunno. The amount of errors in patterns is alarming.

I've learned not to do a pattern early after publication. I wait for the errata to be on their web site.

The SKS books have color coding to help keep things straight. I don't get overwhelmed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gertie For This Useful Post:
rachejm (01-29-2008)
Old 01-29-2008, 03:19 AM   #18
Debkcs
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,192 Posts
I went through the errata sheet today, only two things hadn't been corrected in my version. That made me feel a lot better. The LYS that I bought the book from told me that if I didn't care for it, I could bring it back, so it was a worthwhile risk. Nice people.

"All good things and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of Lights who cannot change."
James 1:17
Debkcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 04:32 AM   #19
Gertie
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by Debkcs View Post
The LYS that I bought the book from told me that if I didn't care for it, I could bring it back, so it was a worthwhile risk. Nice people.
I've never heard of a LYS letting someone return a pattern book. Very nice people!

In my SKS I added to the Contents page:

Page 40 Short Row Toe
41 Short Row Heel - I want to try that one next
42 Easy Toe
71 After/Forethought Heel - I don't like to do these

I don't knit enough socks to warrant buying the MoreSKS book. I looked at it at the book store. Nothing for me there.