Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 02:27 PM   #10061
cacunn
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
Now is the time for all good knitters to come to the aid of their LYS.

Last edited by cacunn : 06-25-2009 at 09:37 PM.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-25-2009, 09:01 PM   #10062
Abbily
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,603 Times in 1,120 Posts
Emily, I'm sorry you had such a crappy, unproductive day! I hope today was better. I hate when bosses treat me like that... hopefully yours will see what a turd he's acting like. Take Care!

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space, I'm a loony!" -Campbell Bain (David Tennant) 'Takin' Over the Asylum'

OTN: Cabled Sweater, arm warmers, kids' clothes
The Following User Says Thank You to Abbily For This Useful Post:
jess_hawk (06-26-2009)
Old 06-26-2009, 01:15 AM   #10063
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Abbily View Post
Emily, I'm sorry you had such a crappy, unproductive day! I hope today was better. I hate when bosses treat me like that... hopefully yours will see what a turd he's acting like. Take Care!
Thanks. I could write an entire essay on the pros and cons of this job, but really, he is a good guy. He just sometimes has unrealistic expectations. If I can get his office somewhat organized and convince him that giving specific instructions is not micromanagement and that nobody is ever going to remember absolutely everything the first time they hear it (including brief mentions in passing, or mentions when he assumes I'm eavesdropping from the other side of the building or have some kind of psychic connection to someone who was there when I wasn't), or even the second or third... then maybe when I leave he'll be able to find someone who will stick around. (The payoff for this, btw, includes a decent paycheck and hours that are more flexible than I will ever have again until I retire.)

I got a whole lot done on the quilt tonight, so I'm feeling like I'm in a much better position to get the top finished by the wedding. My mom helped a ton by clipping the centers of all the curves for me to line them up. On the other hand, I stopped tonight when I screwed up the bobbin assembly thing and then after fixing that broke a needle.

Gina - Boye circs are terrible. I've got a whole bunch of them because they were the least expensive metal circs I could find... and then I got an Addi. The stiff cable on the Boyes makes them really hard to deal with, and I'm surprised anyone with trouble with their hands could even think about using them.

Dustina - I missed seeing that you have kittens! Awww!

OK so good news for the week:
1. I got the internship at the World Bird Sanctuary and I start on August 17.
2. I'm making virgin marguerita jell-o shots for Amanda's bachelorette party this weekend.
3. Next weekend is the July 4 celebration at Amanda and Teenie's older sister's. They're having a hog roast, and I can't wait. Last time I went to a "hog roast" it involved a half-grown piglet. Natalie (the sister) assures me that her family does it right, with a fully-grown HOG .
My knitting blog: http://emilai333.wordpress.com/
Old 06-26-2009, 08:42 AM   #10064
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
Good Morning Socksters!

Chris~Mine is SpinOlution Traveling Bee...it can be a double or single treadle and can also do bulky to lace weight yarns...it weighs about 13 lbs and has a carrying case that it folds down...Mom bought it through this dealer and she does lay-a-way too ...Now drop spindles I found very easy to do and you can get them from cheap to expensive on ravelry as well...I bought a kit from this seller to get me started with the drop spindle

Emily~Sorry for the icky time...but YAY for the list of good things

Lieke~it's hot here too...this house has central air which makes it nice...

Gina~Welcome home, glad you had a good visit and hopefully the KPs will be ok on her hands...that would be great if they let her knit again

Carey~How did the knitting lesson go?

Julie~did you get to take the 2nd exam?

Hi everyone, miss your posts hope you guys are doing good!

Nothing much here today but the same ol' finding spots for everything ...we went to the old house yesterday and it has no a/c it was so hot... we spent the afternoon finishing up the painting...the house is now done...we went up to give the keys back and say bye but they were not home so now we gotta go back this weekend...

It's suppose to be another muggy day I'm hoping to get more stuff out of the garage, basically all that is left is my holiday stuff to store...this house is smaller than the ol' farm house...

I really really need to get the shawl done for the LYS before I leave for WV

I hope you all have a wonderful day of knitting

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dustinac For This Useful Post:
cacunn (06-26-2009), jess_hawk (06-26-2009)
Old 06-26-2009, 08:43 AM   #10065
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
Oh Jd's cousin is expecting in November and they are going to be surprised...his aunt and uncle have been a HUGE help during the move so I want to knit a very nice and lovely blanket for the new baby...any ideas????

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
Old 06-26-2009, 09:17 AM   #10066
Abbily
Instepping Out

Gina, I can't remember if I said, but welcome back!

Chris, how's everything going?

Emily, you are remarkably mature and insightful! Seriously, it's wonderful that you can recognize all the good even in the midst of a not-so-good day and keep in sight all of your blessings. That's a wonderful talent that will see you through the natural 'downs' that come in life. There are so many people who haven't learned that...

Dustina, yay for finishing up the old house, and nearly finishing the unpacking! Congrats to JD's cousin! I had fun doing the Dahlia blanket (check my ravelry page). It's a quick knit and could easily be 'gender neutral'.

The knitting lesson went well last night! She picked up the knit stitch right away. She's here for a month of training, so we're going to get together again next week for another session. She has a son who's about Emily's age, so the three kids can play in the pool together while we sit and knit.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space, I'm a loony!" -Campbell Bain (David Tennant) 'Takin' Over the Asylum'

The Following User Says Thank You to Abbily For This Useful Post:
jess_hawk (06-26-2009)
Old 06-26-2009, 09:25 AM   #10067
jberry16
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,163 Posts
Send a message via MSN to jberry16 Send a message via Yahoo to jberry16
Originally Posted by cacunn View Post
Do you have a single or double treadle?
Single treadle is the Fidelis, the double treadle is called something else, Gretta or something. Mine was only $195.00 and then after shipping to NM it was $216. Not bad & I've already gone through half my roving, I'm getting really good-well until it breaks beause of too much spin in the thin stuff or because of not enough spin in the thicker stuff. But for the most part it's thin, like lace-fingering weight singles. I just took the first bobin off and put the second one on last night with 1 oz left of roving so I'll be able to complete my first yarn before too long.

Emily sorry you had a crappy day yesterday and last night and this morning; usually after I mess up the bobiin and then break a needle I quit too...dang machine doesn't it know that that's super frustrating? Hope today is better!

Originally Posted by dustinac View Post
Julie~did you get to take the 2nd exam?
Yes I took the dang thing yesterday, got a 64% I'm so mad. But in my defense there were 3 questions on there that we duplicated, I answered each one the same and then one of them asked which had the least amount of trans fat, and the options were; margarine, canola oil, peanut butter & packaged cookies. Well I choose packaged cookies because the oreos we have here dont have any trans fat-I had looked at that the other day. well the dang test marked those questions wrong; so I emiled the teacher. Who btw is on vacation without her laptop for a couple weeks & supposidly left her log in info with a sub. I was super ticked off yesterday after all that! But from what I can tell even though I failed this test I'm sitting in the class with a 74; and that's not counting the fact that she didn't give me the correct grade for the second group project. I'm in group 1 and she gave me the group 3 grade. I could just scream!

As for a baby blanket, what about the pinwheel page 1 one or maybe a feather and fan one page 2 bout half way down?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jberry16 For This Useful Post:
cacunn (06-26-2009), jess_hawk (06-26-2009)
Old 06-26-2009, 10:07 AM   #10068
cacunn
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
Originally Posted by Abbily View Post
Chris, how's everything going?
In general things are going fine.

The problem with my mother seems to be over. The 30 day period for them to appeal the decision of the arbitration board has past.

After fighting the US General Service Administration for two months I am back at telework. This is a 20 minute commute versus the normal one way commute of about 75 minutes.

DSWMBO&A has something going both Sat. and Sun. so I might have some knitting time.

I have three sets of socks on needles, two red kilt hose, with different patterns. One is going to be simple 4x2 ribbing up the leg, the other has a yarn over pattern.

The other is are the socks I have been trying to knit for my cousin for about 4 months. The yarn is patterned and I have not been happy how the patterns I am using look with the yarn coloration. I think I have restarted these socks 6 or 8 times. I'm going to wear out the yarn before the socks are even knit.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:31 AM   #10069
Abbily
Instepping Out

Chris, I'm glad to hear things are going well! It's good that you can start to put the situation with your mom behind you- though I'm sure that won't be easy. Yay for an improved work situation! Can't wait to see all those socks.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:02 PM   #10070
knittingymnast
Working the Gusset

Hi, all!!
I just got my Ravelry, so I'm trying to figure it out before I come back here, but I will be here!! Just getting to the point where I'm getting to know it.
Closed Thread