Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 10:41 PM   #10111
Jackie Lim
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to Jackie Lim
hi
morning,

My OTN is Vesper (free in Ralvery), it's kind of too big for me, i m thinking of frog after frog (actually i had frog till the underarm) but last night i noticed the running stitch that keep the pleats together has somehow like becoming loose (it might not hold the peats for long)
I read abt another way of doing the pleats and the knitter wrote about it, she uses the Provisional Cast on method.
I searched for a while on Provisional cast on (like the one in KH, youtube)...wow...there are many ways to do it and i tried the waste yarn method and the using of a cable needle one.
the waste yarn type is easy to handle while the cable needle is kind-of getting the way, but there is no need to pick up stitch after that.
I have to cast on 360sts for the Vesper
QOMD please.
Which provisional cast on method will u use ? Is there any simple one (is my first time using) that u had done b4.
thank you.

Dustina - that's a very lovely skirt, love the way Roo twirl it.
did u knit in round ?

Gina - ohh...so cute, who is the lucky guy ?

Rachel - on the job interview, and cant wait to see the baby sweater.

Welcome to my blog

FOs - In my blog
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jackie Lim For This Useful Post:
cacunn (07-01-2009), dustinac (07-01-2009), rachejm (07-01-2009)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-01-2009, 08:19 AM   #10112
cacunn
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
When in the course of human event it becomes necessary to frog remember to bread lightly and fry in a little butter. It tastes just like chicken.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cacunn For This Useful Post:
Jackie Lim (07-01-2009), jberry16 (07-01-2009)
Old 07-01-2009, 08:30 AM   #10113
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
Good Morning Socksters!

Jackie~ I like to use the crochet hook way for the cast on ...yeah I changed it to in the round left off 4sts for seam allowance...

Lisa~Yeah they figure when he was cutting grass something flew up in his eye...he said he remembered grass but nothing that hurt, next time he will be wearing glasses for protection

Gina~It has elastic in it...I did that instead of the I-cord...LOVE the booties...I made them too but thought the pattern I used gave the pattern for the little cirlce

Julie~looking good

Rachejm~Can't wait to see the sweater and good luck with the job

Rosalie~Can't wait to see them

Carey~Yep Sheldon put those up...some other buttons are larger too

Chris~ don't think I wanna eat a frog although JD likes them (a lot)

Hi everyone hope you guys are doing good, miss hearing from ya

It was chilly here yesterday after being in the high 80s and low 90s...today we don't even hit 70...looks like rain which we could use

Nothing much happening here but gonna clean today...the family room downstairs has an icky odor that I can't get rid of...I don't know what it is...I know they smoked down here so maybe a mixture of that along with the new puppy they had down here? Any ideas???

I took pictures of the inside of the house so I'm going to go load them to the blog...I hope you all have a wonderful day of knitting

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dustinac For This Useful Post:
cacunn (07-01-2009), jberry16 (07-01-2009), rachejm (07-01-2009)
Old 07-01-2009, 08:55 AM   #10114
jberry16
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,163 Posts
Send a message via MSN to jberry16 Send a message via Yahoo to jberry16
Dustina, stinky family room? maybe clean the carpet? (if it has carpet) or replace carpet and pad, or if it's hardwood floors refinish them? maybe wash down the walls and repaint? Those would be long term answers, as for short term open the windows and let it air out (when it's not raining) and febreeze it or put a couple glade air freshners in there too? good luck.

Jackie I've never used the provisional co, sorry I'm of no help.

Think I'l make cinnamon rolls today for tomorrow's breakfast.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:05 AM   #10115
G J
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,960 Times in 862 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to G J
Carey, I think I might figure out a way to unwind it. It would take three people, though, since it's three strands! Ugh.

Rache, what were you interviewing for? I need a job, too!

Rosalie, can't wait to see your monkeys!

Julie, I found directions for a little circle, but I think I'll have to embroider the star on it. LOVE your sock! So pretty!!! You're tempting me to make cinnamon rolls, too. I need to clean today, though.

Jackie, I use the crochet cast on, too, even though I don't crochet. It's just a chain you make and then knit onto. You crochet, so won't have any trouble with it! My neighbor is pregnant and due in August. I don't know what she's having yet...if it's not a boy, I have more work to do!

Chris, I'm not sure I'd like to try your recipe!

Dustina, I'd definitely check the carpet. You probably need to pull it up if the odor is strong. I'd also paint the walls. You won't get rid of smoke smell unless you do.

Do any of you have a way to get rid of tiny ants? We've been finding a few in the kitchen and one of the bathrooms. I have the bait traps set out, but they're still showing up. My sister says, "They don't eat much!" but I don't want to eat them!
Old 07-01-2009, 10:26 AM   #10116
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by dustinac View Post
Emily~That is cool, Roo asked last Christmas for a violin she wants to learn how to play everything...
Encourage that. I really regret that both of my parents hated piano lessons when they were young so much that they didn't have me take any. There are so many advantages to an education in music from an early age. As far as playing everything... I do know two guys who were in my class in high school who literally COULD play everything. They had a good base in music theory from piano lessons early on. Brian was a good friend of mine, and his skills amazed me constantly.
Originally Posted by cacunn View Post
When in the course of human event it becomes necessary to frog remember to bread lightly and fry in a little butter. It tastes just like chicken.
Just be glad you don't have to toad. It doesn't taste nearly as good.
My knitting blog: http://emilai333.wordpress.com/
Old 07-01-2009, 11:03 AM   #10117
Abbily
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,603 Times in 1,120 Posts
Chris, LOL, I know what a thread is. I was attempting humor... not very successfully... because of the fact that "thread" is misspelled as "thead" on the button.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space, I'm a loony!" -Campbell Bain (David Tennant) 'Takin' Over the Asylum'

OTN: Cabled Sweater, arm warmers, kids' clothes
The Following User Says Thank You to Abbily For This Useful Post:
cacunn (07-01-2009)
Old 07-01-2009, 11:17 AM   #10118
Abbily
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,603 Times in 1,120 Posts
OK, here are some replies I missed from yesterday and this morning...

Dustina, my prayers are with your granddad and JD. The twirly skirt looks great! I made a couple of things from the Barefoot Knits book (same author) last summer for the kids.

Lisa, could you send some of your rain this way? We could sure use it!

Gina, the booties are adorable! Maybe you could look for a star christmas ornament pattern? Those tiny ants are probably sugar ants (at least, that's what the pest control guy told us) and he said you can't really do anything about them.

Rachejm, good luck on the job hunting! I hope the interview went well!

Rosalie, I can't wait to see the monkeys! They're on my ever-growing list of things I want to knit some day...

Julie, your sock is gorgeous! I love the pool backdrop, what a great idea!

Jackie, I like the provisional cast-on that Amy did a video of in the cast-on section of this site. I like to do it with a spare circular needle instead of waste yarn, which I think she demonstrates in the video.

Hope everyone is having a lovely day! I have my mommy meeting tonight, which is one of my favorite things to do. Chris is working late tonight, so the kids are coming with me. We brought the mini dvd player and "Black Stallion", so hopefully that will keep them entertained.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space, I'm a loony!" -Campbell Bain (David Tennant) 'Takin' Over the Asylum'

OTN: Cabled Sweater, arm warmers, kids' clothes
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Abbily For This Useful Post:
cacunn (07-01-2009), Jackie Lim (07-01-2009), jberry16 (07-01-2009), rachejm (07-01-2009)
Old 07-01-2009, 11:58 AM   #10119
cacunn
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by G J View Post
Jackie, I use the crochet cast on, too, even though I don't crochet. It's just a chain you make and then knit onto. You crochet, so won't have any trouble with it! My neighbor is pregnant and due in August. I don't know what she's having yet...if it's not a boy, I have more work to do!

I don't know about Texas - around here making a baby is supposed to be fun and not work and local church ladies are a little strange when they hear the the neighbor helped?

Also stinky family room and new puppy sounds like the recipe for accidents on the rug.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:00 PM   #10120
cacunn
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by Abbily View Post
Chris, LOL, I know what a thread is. I was attempting humor... not very successfully... because of the fact that "thread" is misspelled as "thead" on the button.
What can I say I was hired for my good looks and not my spelling ability. Unfortunately they missed out on both.

May be they did it as a check of who was paying attention - I failed - twice?

Last edited by cacunn : 07-01-2009 at 01:07 PM.
Closed Thread