Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 12:13 PM   #10121
cacunn
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
deleted - duplicate

Last edited by cacunn : 07-01-2009 at 01:04 PM.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-01-2009, 12:14 PM   #10122
cacunn
Instepping Out

Gina - I have always used a little boric acid powder for sugar ants. Lowes has "Safer Brand - 16oz ant and roach powder" that contains boric acid. Put it in the cracks under the kitchen and bathroom sink and make sure you put some around the drain hole.

They take this "food" back to the nest and share so it works beyound the kitchen.

Interesting info on ants. from Ohio State University.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:18 PM   #10123
rachejm
Knitting the Flap

The job is administrative assistant. No news yet, keep your fingers crossed.

The Following User Says Thank You to rachejm For This Useful Post:
cacunn (07-01-2009)
Old 07-01-2009, 08:41 PM   #10124
sue in canada
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,871 Times in 1,270 Posts
Dustina: Glad to hear better reports about the Amish, how nice to buy fresh eggs, pies etc. Hope your grandfather gets good results from the MRI. The skirt is cute. Hope JD’s eye is okay.

Jess: Glad your brother is okay.

Gina: The booties are cute.

Christine. I did sell about 12 cards, but spent more than I made. How are things with you?

Chris: Too bad about the SEX miss. Better luck next time.

Rachejm: Good luck with the job.

Ann:

Hi Carey, Lisa, Jackie, Rosalie and anyone else I have missed.

Today is Canada Day. We have just come back from a BBQ at friends house. Lots of good food. Weather held out, no rain and not too hot. All in all a good day.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:03 PM   #10125
Jackie Lim
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to Jackie Lim
hi
morning,
I figured how to Provisional Cast on here yesterday, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXp8rUNxJtY
Now, thinking of casting on 360st, , I put a st marker every 50sts, does anyone has a better way of counting the cast on stitch ?
I like the Provisional Cast on Amy did in this forum too, i have to practice using a cable needle instead of waste yarn. Waste yarn is easier to manipulate

Dustina - How's your granddad today ? Send my warm (yes, warm weather) to him, Hugs !

Jayne saw Roo's twirl her skirt around, she loves it. How do i cast on in round by left off 4 st for seam. For e.g if there is 100st to cast on, do i need to cast on 96 only ? Do u use a 32" or longer cir ndl ?
lately Jayne loves to read stories on horses, she typed (i helped in typing sometime, to check on my typing speed) and printed out infos from book on their breed, colours. "Black Stallion" is about story about horse, right ?
Gina - the ants problem in my house (we think) is due to weather change, hence no matter what bait we buy or sprinkle powder along the wall edge or the ants hangout, it doesnt help !! But once there is a change in the weather, there isnt any trace of them any more !!
There are many cute lovely pattern for baby girl than for baby boy. Maybe u can change the colour of the booties if is a girl, it gonna to be sweet.

Sue - Happy Canada Day to you and your family, enjoys !! Have fun.

Rachejm -

Welcome to my blog

FOs - In my blog
The Following User Says Thank You to Jackie Lim For This Useful Post:
sue in canada (07-04-2009)
Old 07-01-2009, 09:14 PM   #10126
G J
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,960 Times in 862 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to G J
Chris, thanks for the info on ants. The ones we have are REALLY tiny. There aren't a LOT of them, but enough to drive me crazy!

Rache, hope you get the job!

Jess, I agree--music lessons help the brain! Studies show that students who learn music are better at math! True in my experience!

Carey, I found a pattern for a small circle, but I think I'll have to embroider a star on it.

Sue, too bad people can't afford/won't pay enough for good hand-crafted items! And of course, your time is worth something, too!

Jackie, To answer your question for Dustina, yes, you CO four fewer stitches and knit on circular needles. Do you think the bright blue would be okay for a girl? I think it's cute! Thanks for the info on ants. It's REALLY hot here and I know others are having trouble with them, too. How cool does it have to get for them to go away?

I got a message that ColourMart is sending me (and charging me) only half a cone of yarn to finish my Athos. I'm happy they could do that! What great customer service! I know one of you told me about them! Thanks!

Sue, Christine, Ann, Happy Canada Day! (Did I miss anyone?)

Ann, I've missed you and have been thinking a lot about you! Are you doing okay?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to G J For This Useful Post:
Jackie Lim (07-01-2009), jess_hawk (07-03-2009), knitgal (07-02-2009), rachejm (07-02-2009)
Old 07-01-2009, 09:52 PM   #10127
Jackie Lim
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to Jackie Lim
hi
gina, thanks !

The ants will "disappear" by themselves if there is a change in the weather, like, from the usual hot n humid type to the cool type or raining type.
Sorry, cant really describe the weather, just that we know there is gonna be a change if no ants or spot ants around

That depends, i know some mothers doesnt like Pink even though is a baby girl, they prefer netural colour like white, yellow etc..

Welcome to my blog

FOs - In my blog
Old 07-01-2009, 10:01 PM   #10128
G J
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,960 Times in 862 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to G J
I've been doing research on our ants and I think they're Raspberry Ants. They are CRAZY ants, no trails, just run around like crazy. I just found them infested in one of my plant pots. Apparently, it's a new breed. Here's an article I found:
'Crazy' ants wreaking havoc in Houston-area households

You won't be able to hear them.
Don't even try.
But somewhere out there, maybe as near as your backyard, the crazy Rasberry ants are marching. Hundreds, thousands, millions, billions of them are coming in a near-unstoppable zig-zagging insect army intent on making your home, yard and life a living hill.
First spotted in 2002 in Pasadena by Tom Rasberry, the exterminator for whom the rice-grain-sized insects are named, the ants now have spread through much of the greater Houston area. May through September is their peak period — a time when billions of the critters with a reluctance to sting and a habit of chewing up electrical wiring may infest a single acre. Homeowners daily sweep up dust bins of their dead and maimed.
"They're just running wild. You know how racehorses run down the track? They go both ways. They have nowhere to go, just running crazy wild," complained Patsy Morphew of Pearland. "They crawl through the eaves of the house and go into the bathroom. You know what it's like to sit down on the commode with crazy ants running everywhere?"
Morphew said she and her husband, Kenneth, have called exterminators to their home on three occasions. "It seems to help for two or three months," she said, but the ants always return. Each morning the Morphews sweep up cups of the ants from their patio and dredge still more from their pool.
Jason Meyers, a Texas A&M University entomology doctoral candidate who has studied the ants, said no one is certain where they came from. What is known, though, is that their range rapidly is expanding. Two poisons — Termidor and Top Choice — are available to exterminators, but unless a sufficient "buffer zone" is established around an infested property, additional ants simply will crawl over the bodies of their fallen comrades.
Rasberry said he treated a half-acre plot with insecticide, returning months later to find the area covered thickly with two inches of dead ants. Living insects teemed on the top layer of insect corpses.
Meyers said an untreated acre of grassland in the Houston area might contain billions of the insects, which create multi-queen nests in damp areas beneath rocks and debris.
Unlike imported fire ants, which the Rasberry ants tend to displace, the new invading insects rarely bite. An unwitting human lounging in the backyard, though, easily might find hundreds of the insects swarming up his legs.
"For humans, they're mainly an annoyance," Meyers said. The researcher said he's received reports of pet dogs refusing to go into yards infested with the ants. The ants do pose potentially serious problems, though, Meyers said. Ants indirectly can damage plants by establishing a symbiotic relationship with sap-sucking aphids. Ants feed on a sugary aphid excretion called honeydew and, therefore, protect the aphids from predators.
More significantly, crazy Rasberry ants have demonstrated a tendency to nest in and damage electric equipment.
"We've already seen them short out pipeline valves two years in a row in Pasadena," Meyers said.

From NASA to Hobby

Barbara Nemitz of Pearland said she has been forced to replace well and swimming pool pumps and the motor of a driveway gate after they were damaged by ants. More ominously, Meyers noted that insects have infested portions of NASA's grounds and a Houston middle school little more than a kilometer from Hobby Airport.
The Houston Aviation Department said Wednesday that it was unaware of the ant menace but would watch for signs of infestation. NASA referred inquiries to Rasberry.
"There are heavy populations right on the edge of Hobby Airport," Rasberry said. "If you set a plane in a hangar or on the tarmac, they will get into anything sitting on the ground. That's a significant concern. I don't know if they (aviation officials) are aware, but we've told a few customers who own private planes they keep at Hobby."
Rasberry also expressed concern that ants may wreak havoc on other insects and animals.
"When you get any kind of insect that dominates an area like these guys do," he said, "they're going to take food sources. If you have birds hatching, nesting in trees, these things can get up there. There's a similar species in South American that can actually asphyxiate small animals ...
"This is the most difficult insect I've ever come across."

I think we're at the beginning of an infestation. I think I need to call an exterminator! UGH!
The Following User Says Thank You to G J For This Useful Post:
cacunn (07-01-2009)
Old 07-01-2009, 11:53 PM   #10129
cacunn
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by G J View Post
I've been doing research on our ants and I think they're Raspberry Ants.

Good Luck and keep us informed.

The Following User Says Thank You to cacunn For This Useful Post:
G J (07-02-2009)
Old 07-02-2009, 02:04 AM   #10130
Lieke
Working the Gusset

hi all,

it's been a while since I've been able to read/post. I've only got a little bit of time now, so no time to read/comment on everyting. I'm still trying to balance work, hobbys and housekeeping, but I really have to get used to it. To make things worse, it's HOT here in the Netherlands, and when it's hot, it's also humid, so I really don't want to do anything. In our house, it's 29 degrees celcius, so you can imagine I don't want to do any cleaning or ironing (but I have to, I haven't done anything since I've started the job 2 weeks ago). Also, I've got to much to do on my days off. I canceled some appointments today, because I just couldn't find time to do everything I need to do (cleaning, ironing, work out in the gym, make some dinner to freeze for days I have to work etc.). This weekend is DBF's bday (sunday) so I have to do a lot of things for that as well. Well okay, that was my venting time...sorry you all had to listen to it.

On knitting area, I have been knitting a bit, but not much. My camisole with gussets is near completion (I have to knit the shoulderstraps and then I have to crochet a border around it, which I've never done before) but now I'm knitting some dicebags as a gift. DBF's brother has his bday next tuesday and another member of our d&d group has graduated so I'm knitting them both a personalised dice bag (with their names on it). I haven't been knitting while traveling lately. I had found a good book, so I've been reading instead. I'm not sure when I'll check here again. Happy knitting all.

Closed Thread