Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 12:31 PM   #10141
knitgal
Working the Gusset

Chris- I have a degree and a post-graduate certificate in public relations. I have been working in retail just to "get by". I have been applying to jobs for over a year and I've had several interviews, but so far nothing has panned out. Even if I take the assistant manager job, it's still a far cry from what I want to do, or what I am capable of doing. I don't really enjoy the work at the store- weird hours (today I am working 1:30-10), on my feet that whole time wearing heels, rude customers who believe that I am beneath them because I work at a store....etc. The only thing I do like about working there is the interaction with people- hence why I got into public relations.

So now what does everyone think? lol

OTN: Corona, Miter square blanket, Charity blankets
FO: Forest Canopy Shawl, Easy Baby Bootees, Kitty Pi, Ms. Marigold, Twinkle Toes, Josh's socks, Hedera socks, Spring Beret, Ashley's Birthday socks, Socks for the DBF's mom, grey socks for the DBF, my first socks, reversible cable scarf, ribbed hat for the BF, Manos Del Uruguay afghan, and a whole bunch of dishcloths!

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-02-2009, 02:27 PM   #10142
cacunn
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
Originally Posted by knitgal View Post
Chris- I have a degree and a post-graduate certificate in public relations. I have been working in retail just to "get by". I have been applying to jobs for over a year and I've had several interviews, but so far nothing has panned out. Even if I take the assistant manager job, it's still a far cry from what I want to do, or what I am capable of doing. I don't really enjoy the work at the store- weird hours (today I am working 1:30-10), on my feet that whole time wearing heels, rude customers who believe that I am beneath them because I work at a store....etc. The only thing I do like about working there is the interaction with people- hence why I got into public relations.

So now what does everyone think? lol
From an old fart - you are to you to give up on your dream. If you can get by on the money I would say wait a while before becoming an assistant manager. On the other hand would the Asst. Mgr job give you and in to a public relations job with the store?

Old 07-02-2009, 03:06 PM   #10143
Lisa1216
Turning the Heel

Ann~The socks are very pretty! Josh's mom is going to love them!
Is it possible to take the asst. manager's position without the year commitment? Maybe check with your boss to see if it is possible. They seem to be in a bind and needing to fill the position. If you are waiting to hear back from other interviews, I would probably wait a little while to see if you hear anything. Just some other things to think about...Is the increase in pay worth the commit? Like Chris mentioned, it may lead to other avenues/openings within the corporate level of the store. Would an asst managers position help your resume for a public relations position? It may show a future employer that you have leadership skills/experience with dealing with the public, other employees, and upper management.

Hope this helps a little. Maybe others will have more ideas too.
to you Ann!

When was the last time you did something for the first time?

On the needles: Not much
Finshed: Nothing lately
Lisa1216 on Ravelry
The Following User Says Thank You to Lisa1216 For This Useful Post:
knitgal (07-02-2009)
Old 07-02-2009, 04:01 PM   #10144
G J
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,960 Times in 862 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to G J
Lieke, I take it you don't have air conditioning. ugh. I'd skip the ironing and just wear wrinkled clothes. The humidity will take care of wrinkles, right? I iron maybe twice a year. When I shop for clothes, I ask myself if it would require ironing, and if it would, i don't buy it! Can't wait to see your camisole. I had my mom check the book out that the pattern is in from her library (ours didn't have it) and love it. It's on tiny needles, or I would have joined you in knitting it!

Julie, My closet doesn't have ants that I know of! DH called a friend who is an exterminator. He's coming tomorrow. DH said it was my birthday present. Oh joy.

Dustina, have a wonderful time in WV! I can't believe you're FINISHED moving and the garage is even done!!!!! WOW! That was fast!

Ann, I know you're unsure of the Assistant Manager position, but I must say, HATS OFF TO YOU!!!! WOW! That says a lot about you as a person and an employee that your boss would even OFFER it. CONGRATULATIONS!!!
As for accepting it, you've gotten a lot of really good advice already. PR jobs are hard to come by right now, aren't they? Maybe this WOULD lead to a better job in the corporation. Is it even a corporation you would WANT to work for? Perhaps do some research into the company and find out more. What are your chances with the other jobs? Have you called them back? How did that feel? Positive? Hopeful? or Negative, down? IF you go with the AMgr job, do you sign a one-year CONTRACT? If there's no CONTRACT, then there's no worries, right? If the boss is TELLING you it's a one year commitment, is it REALLY or he's just hoping/pushing for that? And look at the job description carefully!
So much to consider! I'll be praying for you! Keep us posted!
GREAT Socks, btw! She'll LOVE them! It's so nice that some of you are keeping this a SOCK KAL!

We had lunch with some friends today and they told me I look as stress-free as they'd ever seen me. Being unemployed suits me, aparently! Can you be a SAHM if your kids are in college?

Chris, glad you could put down your "cold compress" long enough to post on here!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to G J For This Useful Post:
dustinac (07-03-2009), knitgal (07-02-2009)
Old 07-02-2009, 04:07 PM   #10145
Abbily
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,603 Times in 1,120 Posts
Ann, great to see you! The socks are gorgeous!

I'm with the others- I would ask if you can have the job without the commitment. If not, don't give up on your dream job!

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space, I'm a loony!" -Campbell Bain (David Tennant) 'Takin' Over the Asylum'

OTN: Cabled Sweater, arm warmers, kids' clothes
The Following User Says Thank You to Abbily For This Useful Post:
knitgal (07-02-2009)
Old 07-03-2009, 01:40 AM   #10146
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by G J View Post
I've been doing research on our ants and I think they're Raspberry Ants.
At least they don't bite. I'd still be absolutely freaking out. Spiders I'm okay with, as long as they are at least across the room from me... ants terrify me.
Originally Posted by cacunn View Post
Hey, hey I have this war wound (caused when a six-pack of beer, excuse me, soda exploded in the heat near the DMZ) and repeative actions, like pushing a vacuum back and forth is painful. When in pain I must wrap my hand around something cold to relax it, and DSWMBO&A makes be get my own beer, excuse me cold compress.
I seem to remember my AP Calculus teacher telling stories about shooting those no-account "diet pepsi" cans when he was in Vietnam. After having first vanquished them until they were only dry shells of their former selves, of course. (for the record, he was there as an English teacher.)

Ann, I second everything that has been said already about your job, most particularly Gina's congratulations on having been offered the position.

Speaking of jobs... Does anyone know anyone (or they themselves) who has done Peace Corps? I've always kinda wanted to sign up, but totally forgot to pursue that course when I got back from Aus and instantly everything was "what's the next move to get into your chosen career?" ... in retrospect applying for Peace Corps intending to be gone this fall would have been a great replacement for oh, the doing not really anything I'm going to do. So I'm trying to get a feel for whether I want to do it between now and when I get a *real* job, or waitlist it until I need a break.
My knitting blog: http://emilai333.wordpress.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to jess_hawk For This Useful Post:
knitgal (07-03-2009)
Old 07-03-2009, 04:01 AM   #10147
Jackie Lim
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to Jackie Lim
hi
Only 29deg C

It's is 34deg C here

Welcome to my blog

FOs - In my blog
Old 07-03-2009, 09:35 AM   #10148
jberry16
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,162 Posts
Send a message via MSN to jberry16 Send a message via Yahoo to jberry16
Originally Posted by Jackie Lim View Post
Only 29deg C

It's is 34deg C here
Jackie it was hot like that here the last 2 - 3 days but we dont have the humidity like you do; at most 30%. Today we woke up to nice rain showers and currently it's 62F which is about 16c. nice rain...wish I didn't have another darn exam available on Monday and I could knit. forgot this one was comming & havent read the darn chapters yet...oops.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:16 AM   #10149
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
Good Morning Socksters from almost heaven

Ann-those are so pretty! She is going to love them...i agree about seeing if you have to do the year commitment

Gina-I had to get it done so that I could have peace and be able to enjoy the house... the boxes were driving me crazy! I think you can be a SAHM then too you never know when they will need ya

Emily-I had an aunt that joined and she loved it...

Hi everyone!
We got here about 6 last night and mom had pizza waiting for us...we brought 3 kittens down with us that we have been trying to get tame...I was afraid if I left them by the time I got back they would be wild...

Mom and dad had to work today...mom is hoping she can go at lunch time though...

I started my cousins baby dress on the way in

I hope you all have a wonderful day of knitting

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dustinac For This Useful Post:
jberry16 (07-03-2009), knitgal (07-03-2009)
Old 07-03-2009, 10:43 AM   #10150
jberry16
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,162 Posts
Send a message via MSN to jberry16 Send a message via Yahoo to jberry16
Happy Birthday to you, Happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Gina happy birthday to you!
Closed Thread