Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 06:16 PM   #11511
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by G J View Post
Emily, how are the critters?
I think Kitten is just screwing with me. When I am across the room she comes to the front of the cage and whistles at me, and sometimes she yells (fortunately she can't match the volumes of the macaws and seriemas I've been desensitized to recently). When I am in the kitchen, she really gets going. When I go over closer to her cage, she heads to the back and watches me suspiciously.
I got two more mice. I intended to get one albino, in case I need to divide the mice between two cages, so I have two pairs. But this little one who I thought at first was a black eyed white (I've read that black eyed white is actually linked to a recessive lethal allele, so I was suprised) but really she's got patches of really pale cream, so, well... she was too pretty to go home with anyone who didn't appreciate that, so I decided to get her, in addition to the albino I originally intended to - hey, look at that adorable black and tan! With the cute little white spot on her belly!
And that is how I came home with Chevre (the black and tan) and Serena (the white/cream). I am now maxed out on my mouse housing capacity.

I woke up this morning to my alarm, which as usual I set for half an hour before I meant to get up. Normally, I wake up, reset for when I actually need to get up, and go back to sleep. Today, I reset my clock, instead of the alarm. So when I woke up on my own, my clock said it was 9:05... my class starts at 9. Crap. So I sprang from my bed, threw on clothes, and grabbed my stuff... and then noticed that my phone said it was now 20 til. Perfect timing, really.
Rachejm- good luck in your interview!
My knitting blog: http://emilai333.wordpress.com/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jess_hawk For This Useful Post:
cacunn (01-15-2010), rachejm (01-17-2010)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-15-2010, 06:23 PM   #11512
knit2btied
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to knit2btied
Originally Posted by G J View Post

Knit2B, how's life treating you? Any "plain vanilla" socks to show us?

Today, they come to tile! I hope it looks good and holds water!
Yea! for the tile! Then letting it dry, then the grout... Then finally wallah!

Haven't taken photos of recent socks, will this do?

Palindrome scarf for the "princess." Knitted in berroco comfort navy. Used three skeins more or less, and added a repeat to the pattern casting on 52 instead of 40.
Attached Images:

The Following User Says Thank You to knit2btied For This Useful Post:
cacunn (01-15-2010)
Old 01-15-2010, 10:39 PM   #11513
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

I just got off the phone with my mom, who wanted to let me know about the progress of the bed my dad is making me. Maybe it's petty of me to be upset over this, but the thing is, he's MAKING it, so he ought to be able to make it the way I want it, within reason.
I had only a few specific requests, and the only one that is being followed is that there will be shelves on it. Because of the way it has been built, I can't put it where I want it (I sleep best with my head in a corner, and the bed fits in the room best in the corner. Perfect situation until my dad builds the world's only bed which cannot be placed in that corner). It's honestly, IMO, kind of hideous. and, it loses functionality because they chopped off the posts which I specifically requested be left there. Sorry if the fact that I hang things off of bedposts is a problem. I like to hang my hammock under my loft. Now I can't.
Each of the things that has been done against my wishes is a minor thing, but it would have been so, so easy to call me and ask if the change was OK... and in most cases, NOT changing it would have been the easier thing to do.
Don't get me wrong. I'm thrilled to be getting a bed, any bed (the futon is not made for sleeping on)... but I was so excited about it when I first started talking to dad about how he was going to build it, and now when I think about it, I just want to cry. I wish I had begged for the one I liked online instead of letting him build one like it, only "better."
cacunn (01-16-2010), knit2btied (01-16-2010)
Old 01-16-2010, 12:48 AM   #11514
jberry16
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,163 Posts
Send a message via MSN to jberry16 Send a message via Yahoo to jberry16
Originally Posted by jess_hawk View Post
I just got off the phone with my mom, who wanted to let me know about the progress of the bed my dad is making me. Maybe it's petty of me to be upset over this, but the thing is, he's MAKING it, so he ought to be able to make it the way I want it, within reason.
I had only a few specific requests, and the only one that is being followed is that there will be shelves on it. Because of the way it has been built, I can't put it where I want it (I sleep best with my head in a corner, and the bed fits in the room best in the corner. Perfect situation until my dad builds the world's only bed which cannot be placed in that corner). It's honestly, IMO, kind of hideous. and, it loses functionality because they chopped off the posts which I specifically requested be left there. Sorry if the fact that I hang things off of bedposts is a problem. I like to hang my hammock under my loft. Now I can't.
Each of the things that has been done against my wishes is a minor thing, but it would have been so, so easy to call me and ask if the change was OK... and in most cases, NOT changing it would have been the easier thing to do.
Don't get me wrong. I'm thrilled to be getting a bed, any bed (the futon is not made for sleeping on)... but I was so excited about it when I first started talking to dad about how he was going to build it, and now when I think about it, I just want to cry. I wish I had begged for the one I liked online instead of letting him build one like it, only "better."
I understand completely, just remember in 5 years it wont matter much. & congrats on the 2 new 'babies.' As for kitten, I think she's being a female, I mean really if you think about it it's perfectly normal for her to 'tease' you. She'll come 'round.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jberry16 For This Useful Post:
cacunn (01-16-2010), jess_hawk (01-16-2010), knit2btied (01-16-2010)
Old 01-16-2010, 08:47 AM   #11515
cacunn
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
IMHO, one of hardest thing for a parent is to think their children have opinions of their own and that these might be right. At least right for the child.

You are in your first apartment, therefore have just flown the nest and you parents have not accepted that you are an adult.

You like posts at the corner of you bed, stop in to your local lumber yarn or building supply mega store and buy a post, put it on a base and place it next to the bed. You might also be able to find a coat rack at the local thrift store and use this.

Don't let your father get on your nerves, accept the bed and then adapt it to do what you want.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cacunn For This Useful Post:
jberry16 (01-16-2010), jess_hawk (01-16-2010), knit2btied (01-16-2010)
Old 01-16-2010, 11:43 AM   #11516
cacunn
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
Jess
IMHO the make of the futon worked with the Marque De Sade to keep masochist happy. We have one in our guest room. When we have guests we pull the futon pad off and replace it with an air mattress. This is a poor man's Select Comfort bed. It take a little playing with the pressure but it does become very comfortable.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cacunn For This Useful Post:
jess_hawk (01-16-2010), knit2btied (01-16-2010)
Old 01-16-2010, 12:38 PM   #11517
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by cacunn View Post
Jess
IMHO the make of the futon worked with the Marque De Sade to keep masochist happy. We have one in our guest room. When we have guests we pull the futon pad off and replace it with an air mattress. This is a poor man's Select Comfort bed. It take a little playing with the pressure but it does become very comfortable.
It actually isn't so bad if I pile enough blankets on between me and the futon matress, which is not removable... I actually prefer futon matress-on-floor. I should have had the parentals go buy a regular mattress when they moved the futon in. Oh well, the bed is almost finished.
The coatrack/post idea is fine for hanging a coat or a sweatshirt, but is unfortunately useless when it comes to my hammock... but mostly I'm annoyed because they cut off the posts without asking, even though I specifically said not to. Like I said, these things aren't that big a deal... but how much easier would it have been to leave it the way it was?
Also, dad is changing it so that the bed can go in the corner. I'm not sure why it was such a big deal last night (I finally told him to just leave it, and figured that I could change it myself... I'm not incompetant when it comes to woodworking). He also called to let me know they can't find the stain I bought, so I'm crossing my fingers that there is only one rosewood stain and that my mom doesn't decide its "too dark" and go with something else.
Am I finished moving in yet?
cacunn (01-16-2010), knit2btied (01-16-2010)
Old 01-17-2010, 01:40 PM   #11518
jberry16
Instepping Out

we arrived at Mass this morning to find that some vandals had thrown 2 big rocks or bricks through 2 different windows and if we hadn't just had the windows tented the glass would have completely shattered; instead it was mostly held together with the tent, but was a mess to clean up. But like Father said, it's so tiny to have to fix a couple windows, esp. when it's compaired to the problems of Hati. How true.
Hope you all have a great Sunday
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jberry16 For This Useful Post:
cacunn (01-17-2010), knit2btied (01-17-2010)
Old 01-17-2010, 05:55 PM   #11519
knit2btied
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to knit2btied
Julie, it may be much smaller/unimportant compared to what can be, but still... I hope whoever did it got some sort of release out of it. Otherwise, did his/her mother teach anything... (mumble, fume, showing my ancient age...)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to knit2btied For This Useful Post:
cacunn (01-18-2010), jberry16 (01-17-2010)
Old 01-17-2010, 08:09 PM   #11520
jberry16
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by knit2btied View Post
Julie, it may be much smaller/unimportant compared to what can be, but still... I hope whoever did it got some sort of release out of it. Otherwise, did his/her mother teach anything... (mumble, fume, showing my ancient age...)
very true
The Following User Says Thank You to jberry16 For This Useful Post:
cacunn (01-18-2010)
Closed Thread