Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 03:10 PM   #11531
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by G J View Post
Emily, your critters certainly keep you (and me!) entertained! Did you get your power back on?
Yeah it was only out for a couple of hours. I snuggled up on my futon and watched Road to El Dorado.

So, Kitten is now doing a stealth routine of climbing down to the floor of her cage, then sneaking over to the front edge and looking to see if I'm watching her, and when I'm not watching, she goes and gets some food.
If she catches me watching her, she scrambles back to the back of her cage and pretends that she's ignoring me. It's really hilarious.
Actually, I think what she's saying is "Yeah, Hi mom! I don't have any millet left and the pellets are icky."
My knitting blog: http://emilai333.wordpress.com/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jess_hawk For This Useful Post:
cacunn (01-19-2010), jberry16 (01-19-2010), knit2btied (01-19-2010)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-19-2010, 03:40 PM   #11532
jberry16
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,162 Posts
Send a message via MSN to jberry16 Send a message via Yahoo to jberry16
Originally Posted by cacunn View Post
I don't know if that title is correct but I need help.

I just finished a beret for a cousin, hopefully she will not notice the unintended design feature. I need to finish off the second sock for her sister, and then work on finishing DSWMBO shawl. So I am starting to plan my next effort. I am going to do something for me, a pair of basic kilt hose or possibly and adaptation of the Midsummer night's dream to kilt hose.

However, instead of the standard kilt hose fold over I want to do a Hose collar. This is a separate item that fits at the top of the hose to cover the top ribbing. Because it is separate you can use the base hose for different occasions, a fancy collar for a fancy occasion and a "plain" collar for general wear.

Now to the question. Many of the patterns I like would be easier to knit flat and joined into the collar. I understand the provisional cast-on but I am not sure how you would join the two ends so the join would not show. Would Kirchner Stitch, three needle bind off work? What is the best join in your opinion.

Thanks to all!
Chris I'd personally kitchner stitch it, seems to me that a 3 needle bind off leaves a bit of a ridge, where as kitchner is less noticable.

Thanks for the prayers for Grandma, Mom (RN) thinks she is having ongoing bouts of colitis (sp), they did an ultrasound today and we'll get the results on Thurs.

Gina the bathroom is looking great!

I have a quiz in ap2 on Thurs morning so if you all feel like throwing a few prayers this way that'd be great. I'm studying lots, but still feel I need to know more.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jberry16 For This Useful Post:
cacunn (01-19-2010), knit2btied (01-19-2010)
Old 01-19-2010, 03:46 PM   #11533
cacunn
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
Julie

And for everyone else.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cacunn For This Useful Post:
jberry16 (01-19-2010), knit2btied (01-19-2010)
Old 01-19-2010, 06:37 PM   #11534
knit2btied
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to knit2btied
Knit2B, so sad to have to frog a sweater! Did you already do it? Otherwise, could you just add gussets and some length to make it bigger or is it knit in one piece?
It was knit in one piece, and now it is part of a boring scarf! LOL It is almost finished (the scarf) now. Just about six more inches should do it. It did hurt to frog it, but it was my own fault for putting down and failing to pick it back up until the kid had outgrown it.

Hurrah for the bath coming along! It is looking pretty. It sounds like you did a good number on the jets. Do you have hard water that makes them get yucky? Or is it just soap scum/don't want to know kind of yucky? (smile)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to knit2btied For This Useful Post:
cacunn (01-19-2010), jberry16 (01-19-2010)
Old 01-19-2010, 06:39 PM   #11535
knit2btied
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by jess_hawk View Post

Actually, I think what she's saying is "Yeah, Hi mom! I don't have any millet left and the pellets are icky."
Birds are (in my experience) SO good at the poor starving me game when they've eaten their favorite yummies from the food dish. I'm thinking you have probably called her correctly on this one!

Too funny!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to knit2btied For This Useful Post:
cacunn (01-19-2010), jess_hawk (01-20-2010)
Old 01-19-2010, 06:43 PM   #11536
knit2btied
Turning the Heel

Now to the question. Many of the patterns I like would be easier to knit flat and joined into the collar. I understand the provisional cast-on but I am not sure how you would join the two ends so the join would not show. Would Kirchner Stitch, three needle bind off work? What is the best join in your opinion.

Thanks to all!
I know I wouldn't use the three needle, because it is very obvious, the kitchener stitch might work, but doesn't the provisional cast-on method have a specific joining that goes with it?

Hmmm, ArtLady has used it in a hat that she made, I wonder if you would feel comfortable asking her what method she used?

The Following User Says Thank You to knit2btied For This Useful Post:
jberry16 (01-19-2010)
Old 01-19-2010, 09:23 PM   #11537
G J
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,960 Times in 862 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to G J
Chris, I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around what you want to do. Sorry. I'm not much help!

Emily, Kittenbird sounds hilarious!

Julie, You'll do great. Remember that the first test from any teacher is always challenging b/c you don't know what to expect. Study extra for it! Hopefully, this one will be really easy! Study well and I'll be praying for you!

Knit2B, the jets are disgusting from the previous owner. probably NEVER cleaned!

No workers here today! DD and I ran errands. It was SO GOOD to get out! I found a really pretty hamper with a cushioned top at Ross and a beautiful rug for the dining room at Marshall's (less than half the price of what I saw anywhere else and good quality!). Gotta love discount stores. They vary so much from store to store, but we found good stuff today.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to G J For This Useful Post:
cacunn (01-19-2010), jberry16 (01-20-2010), jess_hawk (01-20-2010), knit2btied (01-19-2010)
Old 01-19-2010, 10:13 PM   #11538
CivicSista
1st Leg of the Journey

CivicSista, how did the interview go? What kind of job?
Interview went well, I got the job, but I don't know if I will make any money there. I am going to take it and keep going out and looking.

Originally Posted by jess_hawk View Post
So, Kitten is now doing a stealth routine of climbing down to the floor of her cage, then sneaking over to the front edge and looking to see if I'm watching her, and when I'm not watching, she goes and gets some food.
If she catches me watching her, she scrambles back to the back of her cage and pretends that she's ignoring me. It's really hilarious.
Sounds like a cute kitty.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CivicSista For This Useful Post:
cacunn (01-19-2010), jberry16 (01-20-2010), jess_hawk (01-20-2010), knit2btied (01-20-2010)
Old 01-19-2010, 11:25 PM   #11539
cacunn
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
Chris, I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around what you want to do. Sorry. I'm not much help!
From another directions - Knit a flat scarf, then how would you invisibly join the two end to make a tube?

Old 01-20-2010, 12:25 AM   #11540
G J
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,960 Times in 862 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to G J
From another directions - Knit a flat scarf, then how would you invisibly join the two end to make a tube?
Sides or ends? A really skinny tube or a big wheel?
The Following User Says Thank You to G J For This Useful Post:
cacunn (01-20-2010)
Closed Thread