Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 05:04 PM   #11811
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

That chair is freaking CREEPY. Wow.
... but it does look pretty cozy.
Got my second and hardest exam for the week out of the way. I made some really dumb mistakes, including not trusting my instincts on at least one Order name (I had it right the first time, then convinced myself I was wrong and changed it.). I wish we had a word bank of some sort. I just could not get the information to process. Memorizing lists is something I do poorly. If it was presented in another format, I would have it memorized instantly. Maybe I'll create a visual study guide and beg the professor to take mercy on his future classes by making it available. Digging through a field guide is a useful skill but not an effective way to memorize selected birds.
Ah well, the test is done now.
My knitting blog: http://emilai333.wordpress.com/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jess_hawk For This Useful Post:
cacunn (03-02-2010), knit2btied (03-02-2010)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-02-2010, 05:15 PM   #11812
jberry16
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,162 Posts
Send a message via MSN to jberry16 Send a message via Yahoo to jberry16
yes the chair is creapy! Glad you got your test out of the way, I feel the same way about a list, good luck on trying to convince him otherwise.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jberry16 For This Useful Post:
cacunn (03-02-2010), jess_hawk (03-02-2010), knit2btied (03-02-2010)
Old 03-02-2010, 05:17 PM   #11813
knit2btied
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to knit2btied
LOL Chris, I figured!

The Following User Says Thank You to knit2btied For This Useful Post:
cacunn (03-02-2010)
Old 03-02-2010, 07:22 PM   #11814
G J
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,960 Times in 862 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to G J
Hi Socksters,
Work was good today. Two boys said they liked me because I was funny. LOL. I'm not that funny. Just a bit sarcastic!

Julie, YAY on that site! That should help a TON! That chair is really interesting, weird, um....strange....soft? Wouldn't fit my decor, but maybe if you decorated in "real animal"...

Julie and Emily, I agree that a word bank is helpful. In order to succeed without it, you have to re-create the information WITHOUT helps when you study. Otherwise, you're just recognizing the information. You actually learn better that way, but I agree...those tests suck. Emily, your visual memory is still accessible without the list. You know how they say you have a "creative side"? When your eyes go to the sides, your using your creative side, but when your eyes go upwards, they go to your visual memory. Try rolling your eyes upward as you memorize, using images to help, and again as you try to recall. It really helps! (I know lots of random things about learning! Let me know if you've had enough!)

Chris, we know you're a gentleman! There's no insult there, IMHO! Whatcha been knitting?

I know I should be knitting, but my mojo is missing. I'm sure it's just temporary....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to G J For This Useful Post:
jberry16 (03-03-2010), jess_hawk (03-02-2010), knit2btied (03-02-2010)
Old 03-02-2010, 08:10 PM   #11815
cacunn
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
Originally Posted by G J View Post

Chris, we know you're a gentleman! There's no insult there, IMHO! Whatcha been knitting?

I know I should be knitting, but my mojo is missing. I'm sure it's just temporary....

My mojo has been hiding in the bushes. I am still working on the socks for my cousin. At least I am at the gusset (toe up). I have started on a Double Star Tam for a young lady (6 years old).

The Following User Says Thank You to cacunn For This Useful Post:
knit2btied (03-02-2010)
Old 03-02-2010, 09:14 PM   #11816
Jackie Lim
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to Jackie Lim
morning
Julie - cant wait to see their pics and yeah, what a creepy chair, i dont know about others i m not going to put that thing in my house.

Chris - Double Star Tam

Gina - if i see your mojo is keeping himself warm in Singapore, i will let him know that u r looking for him

Welcome to my blog

FOs - In my blog
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jackie Lim For This Useful Post:
cacunn (03-03-2010), knit2btied (03-02-2010)
Old 03-02-2010, 09:55 PM   #11817
jberry16
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by Jackie Lim View Post
Julie - cant wait to see their pics and yeah, what a creepy chair, i dont know about others i m not going to put that thing in my house.

Chris - Double Star Tam

Gina - if i see your mojo is keeping himself warm in Singapore, i will let him know that u r looking for him
Caitlin wanted to wear it tonight after bath, but I said she could wear it tomorrow so you can expect a picture then ;o)

Glad I'm not the only one missing my mojo, at least the mojo to get Mom's seafoam scarf finished. Not enough hours in the day.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jberry16 For This Useful Post:
cacunn (03-03-2010), knit2btied (03-02-2010)
Old 03-02-2010, 11:04 PM   #11818
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by G J View Post
Julie and Emily, I agree that a word bank is helpful. In order to succeed without it, you have to re-create the information WITHOUT helps when you study. Otherwise, you're just recognizing the information. You actually learn better that way, but I agree...those tests suck. Emily, your visual memory is still accessible without the list. You know how they say you have a "creative side"? When your eyes go to the sides, your using your creative side, but when your eyes go upwards, they go to your visual memory. Try rolling your eyes upward as you memorize, using images to help, and again as you try to recall. It really helps! (I know lots of random things about learning! Let me know if you've had enough!)
That's a neat tip, I'll use it next time.
My studying skills are woefully underdeveloped. Maybe you can help me come up with a more effective strategy.
For most of my education, I've just kind of incidentally absorbed whatever the teacher was saying. I think that a big part of this was staying relaxed and engaged and watching the teacher. Although I always take notes, this does not seem to be a necessary factor in the process, just helpful. Watching the teacher is important - I don't do as well with powerpoint as I do with information that is being diagramed or outlined on the board as I watch(but I can't diagram information myself, I have to make an outline.).
I remember where things are located, and I'll remember a few but not all of the details, and inevitably, the details I remember are unimportant (for instance, I can remember where information about a certain bird was located on a page, but I can't remember what the information said).
The hardest thing, though, is that as soon as I start to realize that I can't just coast through a class, I start to get anxious and try to force myself to remember information, which is counterproductive, and I know it. This is why I will never stay up studying the night before a test, or get out my notes and cram in the minutes before the test is handed out. Doing so might cram a couple of extra vocabulary words into my mind, but said words probably won't be connected to anything, and I'll get nervous trying to remember them and other things will be beyond retrieval until I am done.
My knitting blog: http://emilai333.wordpress.com/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jess_hawk For This Useful Post:
cacunn (03-03-2010), knit2btied (03-03-2010)
Old 03-03-2010, 10:49 AM   #11819
jberry16
Instepping Out

2 at a time question
Hey y'all I have a girlfriend here (neighbor too, just a couple cul-de-sacs over) and she loves doing her socks 2 at a time but when she gets to the heel/gusset part she transfers to dpns because she has such a hard time with that part doing 2 at a time, whether it be magic loop or 2 circs, & I was wondering if someone on here might have some ideas for her.

Whenever I do 2 at a time I do short row heels. thanks y'all.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jberry16 For This Useful Post:
cacunn (03-03-2010), knit2btied (03-03-2010)
Old 03-03-2010, 11:40 AM   #11820
jberry16
Instepping Out

Jackie!
Jackie here's Katie in the outfit you bought her.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jberry16 For This Useful Post:
cacunn (03-03-2010), Jackie Lim (03-03-2010), knit2btied (03-03-2010)
Closed Thread