Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 01:53 PM   #11931
jberry16
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,162 Posts
Send a message via MSN to jberry16 Send a message via Yahoo to jberry16
So is it a bad thing that my knitting mojo is super high and my study mojo is way below low? I could just knit all day long I think. Maybe what I'll do is after Kate goes down for a nap I'll studdy for 30 min then knit for 20, then study for 30, then I get my hour of study time in and a brain break and then maybe I wont be so preoccupied by the knitting mojo?
The Following User Says Thank You to jberry16 For This Useful Post:
cacunn (04-09-2010)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-09-2010, 10:32 PM   #11932
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

Your daily LOL:
My mom called me today to let me know that my dad found a 6" perch in our front yard.
Now, my hometown is a river town, but we live way up on the bluff. Not somewhere that you regularly find fish in your yard, even when the river is up.

Mom suggests to imagine the impression it would have made when it dropped from the sky.

OMG ITS RAINING FISH!

ETA: I just got asked to be a replacement bridesmaid. Poor Christine, she has known this girl for about 20 years and felt that she should ask her oldest friend to be part of her wedding. But, they've been renting a house together with several other people, from Christine's dad, and things have gotten way out of hand. This girl has gotten increasingly disrespectful, and over the past month or so it has become clear that she is no longer someone who should be considered a friend.
So Christine and her fiance have requested that she no longer participate in their wedding. So she called me today to (with much apologizing that she didn't ask me in the first place) to see if I would be in her wedding. She worries far too much - I totally understand that she felt the other girl had precedence for being in the wedding party, but she was convinced I'd be horribly offended and not want to participate (even if I found if offensive, is her wedding day about making me happy? Heck no! It's about what SHE wants!). In fact, I'd put money on her (very sweet) fiance, and her sister, having spent a lot of time convincing her to actually make this change (and that she has been worrying about it for weeks).
I'm furious that the other girl put her in this position (put her down on the list of "people likely to be punched by Emily for making Christine cry"), but I'm happy to get to be a bridesmaid. Of course, now I have to get the dress altered (thankfully I'm smaller than the other girl, so hopefully we can just get the other dress adjusted and save time that way)... and go tanning...
My knitting blog: http://emilai333.wordpress.com/

Last edited by jess_hawk : 04-10-2010 at 07:28 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jess_hawk For This Useful Post:
jberry16 (04-10-2010)
Old 04-11-2010, 08:55 AM   #11933
rachejm
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by jess_hawk View Post
ETA: I just got asked to be a replacement bridesmaid. Poor Christine, she has known this girl for about 20 years and felt that she should ask her oldest friend to be part of her wedding. But, they've been renting a house together with several other people, from Christine's dad, and things have gotten way out of hand. This girl has gotten increasingly disrespectful, and over the past month or so it has become clear that she is no longer someone who should be considered a friend.
That's exciting! I love weddings! What a shame for her though, its difficult to lose a friend, especially one you have known that long. Its good that you could step in and hopefully the day will still be everything she wanted it to be.

My friend is planning a wedding at the moment, they are getting married in 2012 but have found a venue and she is dress shopping. She has been having some trouble with the guest list though, her cousins expect to be invited to the ceremony but they talk about her behind her back and don't really keep in touch with her so she has decided they are only invited to the reception. She has so many other people to invite she needs the seats, but it will raise some eyebrows when the invitations go out.

My friend had a birthday meal yesterday. It was really nice to see everyone again. We had a lovely meal, in a great little restaurant. It was good. Other than that I haven't been doing much. I have a job interview on Tuesday for a play assistant at a summer play scheme. Work have hired more staff so the hours have gone down again, I have nothing on the board for the coming week which means I just have to wait by the phone again. I'm glad I am going back to Uni soon so I don't have to worry about it.

The Following User Says Thank You to rachejm For This Useful Post:
jess_hawk (04-11-2010)
Old 04-12-2010, 08:25 AM   #11934
The.Knitter
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,187 Posts
A plain jean jacket, my mother believed that women don't wear that sort of clothing so I never got to have one (can't you hear it now? *putting on a Mommy accent now* SLUTS wear jeans, you will NOT have any). Then once I was on my own there were baby clothes to buy, but it's my turn and I finally got my jean jacket!!!

A plain jean jacket, or a Harley brand one? ... sorry just shocked that there might be someone in the world who has never known the joy that is a denim jacket. I currently have three, because the elbows of my favorite are worn out but the other two have buttons instead of snaps. I also have a (really nice) black leather jacket that I got at Goodwill planning to disassemble it for the leather; but as it turns out, it fits, and I've always wanted a real leather jacket.

(See? I do the girl thing and get excited about clothes and accessories. Just because I'm utilitarian and love my field jacket and hiker boots more than any pair of strappy shoes and that perfect purse...)

Find our "Canadian Oddball Blanket KAL" on Ravelry as: OddballBlankets

The Following User Says Thank You to The.Knitter For This Useful Post:
cacunn (04-12-2010)
Old 04-12-2010, 11:04 AM   #11935
cacunn
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
Does Frank think you look slutty (in a nice way) in your Jean Jacket?

Old 04-12-2010, 11:09 AM   #11936
cacunn
Instepping Out

I wore the field jacket... and, halfway across campus from my destination, was reminded of the fact that it is not waterproof or even water resistant (grr.).

There are ways of making field jackets water proof.

I would not suggest the method I used when in the service. Mine was so covered in diesel fuel, hydraulic oil, and grease that I'm amazed it did not self ignite.

Old 04-12-2010, 02:19 PM   #11937
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by rachejm View Post
That's exciting! I love weddings! What a shame for her though, its difficult to lose a friend, especially one you have known that long. Its good that you could step in and hopefully the day will still be everything she wanted it to be.
Yeah, I'm really excited to get to be a bridesmaid (I'd have been her personal attendant otherwise, like I did for the other twin last summer). Poor Teenie, her life is so full of drama... her fiance is a great balance for her, he's a "just roll with it" kind of guy.

Originally Posted by The.Knitter View Post
A plain jean jacket, my mother believed that women don't wear that sort of clothing so I never got to have one (can't you hear it now? *putting on a Mommy accent now* SLUTS wear jeans, you will NOT have any). Then once I was on my own there were baby clothes to buy, but it's my turn and I finally got my jean jacket!!!
haha... I can just imagine what your mother would have to say about my sense of fashion. But I'm happy for you... denim is the fabric of happiness, and everyone should have plenty.

Originally Posted by cacunn View Post
There are ways of making field jackets water proof.

I would not suggest the method I used when in the service. Mine was so covered in diesel fuel, hydraulic oil, and grease that I'm amazed it did not self ignite.
It's always a trade-off with waterproofing. Breathability... smell... flamability... Although I suppose if you've got a diesel soaked coat you also have an emergency fuel source for fire...
My knitting blog: http://emilai333.wordpress.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to jess_hawk For This Useful Post:
cacunn (04-12-2010)
Old 04-14-2010, 02:06 PM   #11938
jberry16
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,162 Posts
Send a message via MSN to jberry16 Send a message via Yahoo to jberry16
This link is especially for Christine's entertainment, but it's cute & I think all of you should click on it.

http://www.raincitystory.com/flash/screenclean.swf
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jberry16 For This Useful Post:
cacunn (04-14-2010), jess_hawk (04-14-2010)
Old 04-15-2010, 10:12 AM   #11939
cacunn
Instepping Out

Hello, sole-mates

Hello, I'm a new guy, no it just seems as if I haven't been here in a long time. Work has been a bear but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, I just hope it is not another train.

Personal our AC died during the hot spell and we have to replace it. Hopefully this will reduce our electrical costs.

As for knitting, I still haven't finished the socks from hell that I am knitting for my cousin. I have to frog back about an inch and a half and am not looking forward to picking up all those stitches. I have set a goal of doing that this week end!

We are knitting afghan squares for the preggy lady in the Tuesday Night S&B. I did three, one is entrelac using a striped cotton yarn, second is using the same stripe cotton but knit so the striped run at a 45 degree angle, and the last is a simple square.

I'm also knitting a shawl for DSWMBO&A. It is a surprise so it is hard to knit at home and other time is short. It is a simple garter stitch, K2, YO knit to end, repeat for each row.

I had to frog about 3 inches and I am at the point where each row is 10-15 minutes to knit. The yarn is a fingering weight, in maroon with silver flecks.

I picked up some black yarn with silver flecks that I want to use with it. Near the end I'm going to add a 4 row stripe of black, 8 row maroon, 8 black, 16 maroon and finish with 16 rows of black. I hope this will look OK, but what the hey I can always frog (I'm getting very good at that) and replace the black with solid maroon.

I hope you all have a good weekend and enjoy the sun.

The Following User Says Thank You to cacunn For This Useful Post:
jberry16 (04-22-2010)
Old 04-15-2010, 12:47 PM   #11940
Abbily
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,603 Times in 1,120 Posts
Chris, I hope your socks cooperate for you. The shawl sounds beautiful- what a lovely surprise! I hope you'll post pics of the afghan squares.

Life is chugging along quickly for me. I haven't done much knitting lately, still working on the Karin shawl. I have been helping my best friend with her mittens (her 2nd project ever!) and she's doing really well. Other than that, just keeping up with work, life, and the kids. Abby is playing kickball this year and she's so cute. She refuses to kick, but she's great in the outfield- very serious. Emily just reads up a storm. She just got tested again- she's reading at the 7th grade level! She's in 2nd grade...

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space, I'm a loony!" -Campbell Bain (David Tennant) 'Takin' Over the Asylum'

OTN: Cabled Sweater, arm warmers, kids' clothes
Closed Thread